Pizza Greg's world famous pizza dough no awards yet :)

Gotcha

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
This is my pizza dough recipe that I have developed over the years. I like to make a double batch and freeze the extra dough for later bakes.

Ingredients:
16 oz. (453.00g) Gold Medal Bread flour (+1 T flour if needed)
2 oz. (57.00g) Semolina flour
9.5 oz (315g) spring water (additional 1-2 T water if needed)
2 T olive oil (add last to mixer)
2 t. sea salt
4 t. yeast (SAF Instant Premium Yeast)
1 T Briess - Dry Malt Extract - Sparkling Amber (You can also use Molasses)

1. Using a stand mixer add all of the dry ingredients and mix with a dough hook on slow for 15 seconds. Next add the water (Not the Oil) and mix for 2-3 minutes, the dough should start to form a ball around the dough hook. Next add the oil and increase speed to 3-4 and mix for 6 minutes.

* If the dough does not release from the sides of the bowl, add a pinch of flour. If the dough is very dry and floury, add a small amount of water.
Rub some olive on the work surface and transfer the dough to the oiled surface. Stretch and fold the dough, to fold it into a ball. Cover the dough with a clean bowl. Perform three more stretch and folds, at 5-minute intervals. You can rub more oil on the work surface, as needed, to prevent sticking.

Divide the dough into three balls and lightly cover with olive oil and place in two dough proofing pans that have been lighted coated in olive oil and dusted with semolina/flour mixture and cover. Place both pans in the refrigerator for one day, remove two hours prior to baking your pizza.

*You can also use plastic bags that have been sprayed with pam.
If you like you can also freeze one of the dough balls, simply place one of the balls into a plastic freezer bag that has been sprayed with pam.

To use frozen dough, remove from freezer and rub with oil. Place proofing pan that has been lightly coated with olive oil and sprinkled with semolina flour. Leave on counter until the dough starts to soften. Place in the refrigerator until 2 hours prior to baking.
Estimated Dough weight 914g or 10 oz. per ball.

Greg

pizza.jpg
pizza.jpg
6.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry looks like I double posted this, not sure how to delete the first one.... :)
Greg

Thanks for sharing! A couple questions:

1. Do you specify olive oil intentionally, an indicator that EVOO should not be used?
2. Fine sea salt, or coarse?

Thanks

Thanks for sharing! A couple questions:

1. Do you specify olive oil intentionally, an indicator that EVOO should not be used?
2. Fine sea salt, or coarse?

Thanks
Yes I used Olive Oil in this recipe and also fine sea salt.
Greg

There's definitely something to be said about having the cold fermentation as part of the dough making process. Without it, you really can't get that nice air pocket crust or flavor.

Bytor your are right,
One day or two really makes a difference in the final results of a really great great pizza crust. It adds flavor and a airy crust.
Greg

Good looking pizzas. Mine never turn out round. I don’t have the dough stretching thing down.

What do you cook your pizza on? Rec Tec has video where they cook on a perforated pizza pan. I was looking at them or the screens on Amazon.

Good looking pizzas. Mine never turn out round. I don’t have the dough stretching thing down.

What do you cook your pizza on? Rec Tec has video where they cook on a perforated pizza pan. I was looking at them or the screens on Amazon.

I have tried all kinds of stones to get a good rise and crust on my pizza. Years ago I found the only pizza stone I would use by Emile Henry. They are a bit pricey $50.00 but unlike a regular stone they are coated so you can use on the grill and then in the oven without any smell.

I own both the round version and also the oblong stone. The link below with take you to amazon so you can see what I am talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Emile-Henry-...ramic+pizza+stone+emile&qid=1587585833&sr=8-2

Best Greg

This is my pizza dough recipe that I have developed over the years. I like to make a double batch and freeze the extra dough for later bakes.

Ingredients:
16 oz. (453.00g) Gold Medal Bread flour (+1 T flour if needed)
2 oz. (57.00g) Semolina flour
9.5 oz (315g) spring water (additional 1-2 T water if needed)
2 T olive oil (add last to mixer)
2 t. sea salt
1 + 1 t. T yeast (SAF Instant Premium Yeast)
1 T Briess - Dry Malt Extract - Sparkling Amber (You can also use Molasses)

1. Using a stand mixer add all of the dry ingredients and mix with a dough hook on slow for 15 seconds. Next add the water (Not the Oil) and mix for 2-3 minutes, the dough should start to form a ball around the dough hook. Next add the oil and increase speed to 3-4 and mix for 6 minutes.

* If the dough does not release from the sides of the bowl, add a pinch of flour. If the dough is very dry and floury, add a small amount of water.
Rub some olive on the work surface and transfer the dough to the oiled surface. Stretch and fold the dough, to fold it into a ball. Cover the dough with a clean bowl. Perform three more stretch and folds, at 5-minute intervals. You can rub more oil on the work surface, as needed, to prevent sticking.

Divide the dough into three balls and lightly cover with olive oil and place in two dough proofing pans that have been lighted coated in olive oil and dusted with semolina/flour mixture and cover. Place both pans in the refrigerator for one day, remove two hours prior to baking your pizza.

*You can also use plastic bags that have been sprayed with pam.
If you like you can also freeze one of the dough balls, simply place one of the balls into a plastic freezer bag that has been sprayed with pam.

To use frozen dough, remove from freezer and rub with oil. Place proofing pan that has been lightly coated with olive oil and sprinkled with semolina flour. Leave on counter until the dough starts to soften. Place in the refrigerator until 2 hours prior to baking.
Estimated Dough weight 914g or 10 oz. per ball.

Greg

View attachment 2482View attachment 2483View attachment 2486
Foolish question- just to be sure, pizzas were cooked on the Bull? Pizza stone?

I use a pizza stone from Emile Henry. It has a glaze that does not allow the stone to absorb like other stones. I have both a round version and also a oblong version. If you are looking for a stone that really works well this is the one.

I am considering buying Baking Steel, I owned one years ago, but my thought it was to heavy to use in the oven. They weigh 22 lbs, but really hold the heat, much like a cast iron pan.
Best Greg

Attachments

• stone.jpg
    stone.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 100
  • steel.jpg
    steel.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 108
Looks Awesome Greg!! Couple question. I assume you put in the molasses when you add the olive oil? Also is that 1 packet of yeast plus 1 teaspoon?

Looks Awesome Greg!! Couple question. I assume you put in the molasses when you add the olive oil? Also is that 1 packet of yeast plus 1 teaspoon?
I have been using Dry Malt Extract (you can buy on Amazon) for years. But if you are using Molasses just add it with the water.
Good catch on the yeast, it should be 4 t. of yeast.
Best Greg

I have been using Dry Malt Extract (you can buy on Amazon) for years. But if you are using Molasses just add it with the water.
Good catch on the yeast, it should be 4 t. of yeast.
Best Greg
thanks!

Divide the dough into three balls and lightly cover with olive oil and place in two dough proofing pans
Are you dividing into 2 or 3 balls because you use 2 proofing pans? My real question was about how big a pizza does each ball make? I'll be making pizza for 4 adults and 3 kids.

My Emile Henry stone was back ordered but finally shipped. Assuming I can find yeast, I want to whip up some of your dough so it has time to ferment while the stone is in transit.

Are you dividing into 2 or 3 balls because you use 2 proofing pans? My real question was about how big a pizza does each ball make? I'll be making pizza for 4 adults and 3 kids.

My Emile Henry stone was back ordered but finally shipped. Assuming I can find yeast, I want to whip up some of your dough so it has time to ferment while the stone is in transit.
I divide into 3 balls, about 10 oz each. Makes about 3 - 12" pizzas
Best Greg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back