Pizza Greg's world famous pizza dough no awards yet :)

I've been struggling with a good pizza at home for a while. What kind of cheese and tomato sauce are you using? I've seen so many different variations on sauces & cheese.. plum tomatoes, canned, cooked, with garlic, without garlic. I'd appreciate any helps

I bake pizzas and calazones somewhat frequently. I have been using Monterey Jack in place of Mozzarella. I seem to only be able to find the skim/part skim Mozzarella and I just think the Jack has more flavor to it. Actually, I'm beginning to think the Jack is just a better cheese for topping a pie. As for sauce, I am always trying new experiments. I like to get whole canned ones, decant the juice (to be used for other things) and mix good with an immersion blender, add some paste and seasoning and put it on the pie/calazone.

Sorry, can't be too specific with the sauce, other than yes for garlic. I mean, doesn't that go without saying :p

@Gotcha Thanks!! I just bought an Ooni pizza oven and have been playing around with making different doughs. Would I be able to use Caputo "00" flour in this recipe?

I don't have a stand mixer so I guess it's kneading by hand?

I made 2 pizzas tonite mostly following Greg's sauce and dough recipe (subbing things I didn't have or could find in places) and compared to my previous pizzas using locally sourced dough and homemade sauce and I'm impressed. I like thicker sauces (last time the wife made a delish, more Sicilian sauce). All were good and I find it hard to believe that any fresh pizza made at home would be bad but I feel very satisfied.

As a homebrewer, I was surprised to see DME (dried malt extract) used in the dough recipe. Certainly I had some handy but don't really know what that brought to the table but being a homebrewer, I did pair my pizza with the perfect hoppy pale ale.
I am a satisfied human being tonite!

Does this dough handle hand tossing? I worked in a pizza shop in college and I'm trying to relive my youth and prove to my kids I'm not old. I tried one recipe twice and while it was better the second time, it still wasn't as good as I remember. When I say it, I'm referring to me and my tossing. Pizza doesn't have to be round, right?

Does this dough handle hand tossing? I worked in a pizza shop in college and I'm trying to relive my youth and prove to my kids I'm not old. I tried one recipe twice and while it was better the second time, it still wasn't as good as I remember. When I say it, I'm referring to me and my tossing. Pizza doesn't have to be round, right?
500 is fine. We do 475 but either way is no big deal. Ours take 12-14 minutes and I take a quick peek at 10 minutes. Might be a little faster at 500.

That crust and the pizzas look pretty darn good! I've only used the store bought ones and I haven't been that impressed so far. When I have the time, I may have to give your recipe a go.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back