Griddle Seasoning

NewToSmoke

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hi,
New to the forum, as you can tell by the name, new to smoking. I have had the Bull for a few months and cooked a LOT on it so far. Absolutely love it. It is something that I never knew I was missing until I bought it and used it. Amazing.
When I bought my grill, I bought a set. The set came with the griddle. I didn't really think about using it, but my son asked why we aren't using it for weekend breakfast last week, so I thought I would season it up and give it a go next weekend. I looked at RT's seasoning instructions, and I have at least one question.
Most seasonings include a heat, apply oil, cool-down, heat, apply oil, cool-down, etc... set of phases. RTs video seems to show heat to 200 for 2 hours, apply oil, raise to 400, and keep applying oil (lightly, and removing any pools) until the desired seasoning is built up. Is that correct? No cool-down phase in between? Has there been success like this? Or, did I misunderstand the video?
I appreciate any assistance with this that you can offer.

Brian

I did this yesterday using suggested method and it looks great, although it did take a long time to get really dark and more like 8 increments of oil.

Made some delicious smash burgers and hashbrowns!

The next question that I can’t find in any videos or forums is how to clean the griddle. I’m hesitant to scrape it down like a hibachi.

What’s the best way to clean the thing?

From my little excursion into cast iron pans, I'd say the Rectec instructions should work fine. But Flax seed oil is the preferred oil. I just heat in a 500F oven for a while, pull it out, smear oil on with a papertowel (if you can spare one, LOL), wipe it "dry" with a dry papertowel, and back in the oven at 500F for at least 1/2 hour before next application. You can't have too many layers, but I'd say you should have at least 3 or 4. Bake the last layer at least 1 hour, 2 is better. If you put it on wet, it will be rough and blotchy.

When cooking, use plenty of oil.

For cleanup, if nothing stuck to the griddle, a papertowel or two to wipe up should do it. If something is stuck to it, a wood spatula or plastic one will get the liight stuff, kosher salt and a papertowel can help dry scrubbing. Just putting some cooking oil on the griddle while still warm, cooling down, can aid with loosening stuff.

Last edited:
From my little excursion into cast iron pans, I'd say the Rectec instructions should work fine. But Flax seed oil is the preferred oil. I just heat in a 500F oven for a while, pull it out, smear oil on with a papertowel (if you can spare one, LOL), wipe it "dry" with a dry papertowel, and back in the oven at 500F for at least 1/2 hour before next application. You can't have too many layers, but I'd say you should have at least 3 or 4. Bake the last layer at least 1 hour, 2 is better. If you put it on wet, it will be rough and blotchy.

For cleanup, if nothing stuck to the griddle, a papertowel or two to wipe up should do it. If something is stuck to it, a wood spatula or plastic one will get the liight stuff, kosher salt and a papertowel can help dry scrubbing. Just putting some cooking oil on the griddle while still warm, cooling down, can aid with loosening stuff.

Actually I have a fair amount of experience seasoning with Flaxseed oil, and I would recommend not using it. It gained temporary favor when someone published an article on it and it was featured in a Cooks Illustrated test,

While it does initially produce an extremely hard and slick surface, it generally is less durable, and tends to flake off...possibly the coating is too brittle. Most manufacturers now use grapeseed oil and I have had good experience with it.

For cleanup, I always use these things with a small amount of water and kosher salt: The Ringer

Thanks to everyone who answered. I did go with Grapseed Oil and the method suggested by Roaniecowpony. Worked out very well. I also bought the Ringer suggested by Wfcook for cleanup.

Happy Easter!

Last edited:
This is great feedback but wished I'd seen if before I messed up my griddle! I clearly used too much oil in my initial seasoning and my new griddle is a now a sticky, clumpy surface.

Any suggestions on how I can take it back down to the metal and start over?

Can I hurt this surface by scraping it?

Hey,

Cooks Illustrated has a good plan that works. ??
How to Strip a Cast-Iron Skillet

1.Working outdoors, place concrete block on ground and cover with heavy-duty kitchen trash bag, draping bag over block so that sides of bag will be easy to grasp and pull up over skillet.
33278_stp-stripcastiron-sprayskilletandwrap-01

2A.Place skillet upside down on top of block. Wearing rubber gloves, spray skillet all over with Easy-Off Oven Cleaner, being careful to keep spray away from your face and exposed skin.
33275_stp-stripcastiron-sprayskilletandwrap-02

2B.Flip skillet over and spray inside.
33276_stp-stripcastiron-sprayskilletandwrap-03

2C.Pull plastic bag up and around skillet and tie to close. Leave wrapped, sprayed skillet outside (or in garage) for 24 hours.
33274_stp-stripcastiron-steelwoolscrub-01

3A.Wearing rubber gloves, remove plastic bag. Scrub skillet all over with steel wool and hot soapy water to remove all residue.
33279_stp-stripcastiron-steelwoolscrub-02

3B.Rinse, repeat scrubbing with steel wool, and rinse again.
33280_stp-stripcastiron-vinegarsolution-01

4.Combine 2 cups distilled white vinegar with 2 cups water. Fill skillet with vinegar solution and let stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
5. Discard solution in skillet. Rinse skillet well, then dry well with paper towels. Using paper towels, immediately rub 1 tablespoon (for 12-inch skillet) or 2 teaspoons (for 10-inch skillet) oil over surface. Using clean paper towels, thoroughly wipe off excess oil (surface should look dry, not glistening).
6. Heat oven to 500 degrees. Place skillet in oven for 1 hour. Using potholders, remove skillet from oven and let cool completely.

Hey,

Cooks Illustrated has a good plan that works. ??
How to Strip a Cast-Iron Skillet

1.Working outdoors, place concrete block on ground and cover with heavy-duty kitchen trash bag, draping bag over block so that sides of bag will be easy to grasp and pull up over skillet.
33278_stp-stripcastiron-sprayskilletandwrap-01

2A.Place skillet upside down on top of block. Wearing rubber gloves, spray skillet all over with Easy-Off Oven Cleaner, being careful to keep spray away from your face and exposed skin.
33275_stp-stripcastiron-sprayskilletandwrap-02

2B.Flip skillet over and spray inside.
33276_stp-stripcastiron-sprayskilletandwrap-03

2C.Pull plastic bag up and around skillet and tie to close. Leave wrapped, sprayed skillet outside (or in garage) for 24 hours.
33274_stp-stripcastiron-steelwoolscrub-01

3A.Wearing rubber gloves, remove plastic bag. Scrub skillet all over with steel wool and hot soapy water to remove all residue.
33279_stp-stripcastiron-steelwoolscrub-02

3B.Rinse, repeat scrubbing with steel wool, and rinse again.
33280_stp-stripcastiron-vinegarsolution-01

4.Combine 2 cups distilled white vinegar with 2 cups water. Fill skillet with vinegar solution and let stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
5. Discard solution in skillet. Rinse skillet well, then dry well with paper towels. Using paper towels, immediately rub 1 tablespoon (for 12-inch skillet) or 2 teaspoons (for 10-inch skillet) oil over surface. Using clean paper towels, thoroughly wipe off excess oil (surface should look dry, not glistening).
6. Heat oven to 500 degrees. Place skillet in oven for 1 hour. Using potholders, remove skillet from oven and let cool completely.
Excellent thanks! The griddle is carbon steel and the process is recommended for cast iron skillets. Any concerns?

Plan B-

Try This ??
RESEASONING Carbon Steel Pans - Cooks Illustrated
  • STP_CarbonSteel_Reseasoning_Scrub01.jpg

If the cooking surface feels bumpy or has tacky residue (caused by partially polymerized oil or food residue) or if the patina is chipped, scrub with a mixture of kosher salt and oil or a moderately abrasive sponge (it's also fine to use a little soap if the skillet or wok is tacky) until the patina feels even to the touch (the color does not need to be even). Repeat applying oil as directed in "Routine Maintanence" above. ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back