Grilling and the Keto diet (Low Carb)

Brian Vallotton

One of the things I love about grilling and smoking is that it works with my Low Carb diet! Not everyone can stay on a meat and veggie diet for long term, but I love MEAT and I love VEGGIES especially when they have been grilled! Down about 25 pounds since the beginning of the year. Another 25 or so to go. So, my new RT700 is good for my health! Yeah, that's the ticket. How about you? Anyone doing low carb or Keto type diets? I try to stay beneath 30 grams of carbs a day. I also do intermittent fasting... usually about 18 hours between meals. So my window to eat is usually about 2pm to 7pm most days. No hunger pangs.

Last edited:
Hey Brian. I just ordered my RT700 and will get it next week. I've done Keto in the past, as well as full carnivore. I also do intermittent fasting. I just created an account here so that I could get some helpful hints when my bull arrives and saw your post. Sounds like you're doing quite well. Congrats!!

Hey Brian. I just ordered my RT700 and will get it next week. I've done Keto in the past, as well as full carnivore. I also do intermittent fasting. I just created an account here so that I could get some helpful hints when my bull arrives and saw your post. Sounds like you're doing quite well. Congrats!!
Hi Ric, thanks for posting! It sounds like we ordered at about the same time. My only issue is IF I go off of my program I put on weight pretty fast. I have lost the same 50 pounds more than 6 times in my life! I just need to stay on the meat and veggies! I look forward to hearing from you again.

Good post guys. I just started fasting and am now researching the Keto thing. I agree i have no issues with hunger on my fasts. My only challenge is the time and my job. I travel for work. And, as an example, on Monday i had a flight and landed after 9 and ended up eating at 930pm... that throws a 16 hour fast off.

In my job i often end up with scheduled windows to eat and then meetings during when i should. With the above example (Monday night dinner at 930) lunch break was 30 mins at 1145 the next day. And if i didn't eat...dinner was then at 730. And the meeting i was in it would not of been appropriate for me to bust out a snack/meal at the 16 hour mark. Ha.

I have decided to simply do my best. if i have a short fast here or there it is what it is. I have not gotten in to too much reading on Keto but sure seems to be a good combo (fasting and Keto). If i could do both and actually hit the gym a bit... home run...

I do love to eat. So... to keep this post running... please share some cooks on your RecTec we can emulate.

Good post guys. I just started fasting and am now researching the Keto thing. I agree i have no issues with hunger on my fasts. My only challenge is the time and my job. I travel for work. And, as an example, on Monday i had a flight and landed after 9 and ended up eating at 930pm... that throws a 16 hour fast off.

In my job i often end up with scheduled windows to eat and then meetings during when i should. With the above example (Monday night dinner at 930) lunch break was 30 mins at 1145 the next day. And if i didn't eat...dinner was then at 730. And the meeting i was in it would not of been appropriate for me to bust out a snack/meal at the 16 hour mark. Ha.

I have decided to simply do my best. if i have a short fast here or there it is what it is. I have not gotten in to too much reading on Keto but sure seems to be a good combo (fasting and Keto). If i could do both and actually hit the gym a bit... home run...

I do love to eat. So... to keep this post running... please share some cooks on your RecTec we can emulate.

Thanks for sharing. As many people have said, the way we eat is a lifestyle not a diet. So being kind and not judgmental to ourselves is a sure way to break out of the guilt trip mentality. You don't fast at a feast! My Bull will be here Wednesday! Yippee!

I have been a faster off and on since 2012 (mostly alternate day/42 hours but have gone up to 120 hours) and eaten keto the last 1 1/2 years. Try to stay under 20 net carbs on eating days (sometimes lower). I got my smoker in mid January to get more carnivore diversity. So far have done pork butts, bacon, pork belly, baby back and St Louis ribs, brisket, and ribeyes. I have found a few non-sugar rubs that I like but am still searching for the perfect non-sugar/ non-industrial seed oil sauce.

I have been a faster off and on since 2012 (mostly alternate day/42 hours but have gone up to 120 hours) and eaten keto the last 1 1/2 years. Try to stay under 20 net carbs on eating days (sometimes lower). I got my smoker in mid January to get more carnivore diversity. So far have done pork butts, bacon, pork belly, baby back and St Louis ribs, brisket, and ribeyes. I have found a few non-sugar rubs that I like but am still searching for the perfect non-sugar/ non-industrial seed oil sauce.
Sounds great! I find that as I get my weight off that I actually need to UP my fat intake... which calls for them fatty and good meats! Thanks for sharing.

Not a Keto dieter per se. But, I count cals and watch the carbs. I lost 30 lbs a year and change ago. Slowly put it back on. Need to get back to it and keep my intake under control. I like my proteins and grilled veggies as well. Brussells sprouts have become a favorite in recent years.

One of the things I love about grilling and smoking is that it works with my Low Carb diet! Not everyone can stay on a meat and veggie diet for long term, but I love MEAT and I love VEGGIES especially when they have been grilled! Down about 25 pounds since the beginning of the year. Another 25 or so to go. So, my new RT700 is good for my health! Yeah, that's the ticket. How about you? Anyone doing low carb or Keto type diets? I try to stay beneath 30 grams of carbs a day. I also do intermittent fasting... usually about 18 hours between meals. So my window to eat is usually about 2pm to 7pm most days. No hunger pangs.

I was on keto for a year and a half and lost 60lbs. Then I just could not do it anymore. I miss the legumes and rice, and pasta. I am still a meat and veggie fan as well and love weekends doing a low and slow smoke. Congrats on your weight loss and I hope you achieve your weight goal

So many useful info here, thanks. Indeed what we eat is very important because it directly affects our health and life so we must be very careful. I also started a keto diet some time ago and I feel very good about it because I see a lot of results and changes and I just adore this. In the beginning, I started by using a keto diet calculator from https://ketodietapp.com, and there I understood many things that I didn't know about until then. Did you start also like me or another way? I am just curious.

Last edited:
Hi guys! Came on the forum today to look up posts on pellet ash but saw this and wanted to share. Keto and smoking/ grilling has been my saving grace to keep going with the diet/ lifestyle! I started 1/20/20 and have lost 75# this year alone. I had lost about 80 but slid a little bit with the weather change and daughter’s wedding blah blah. I was strict for about 6 months then got a little dirty but mostly maintaining for now. I have an egg but broke down and went for the RT700 and realized I should have done it sooner. This grill is amazing. Got a beautiful pork shoulder on today been going for about 11hrs so she’s almost ready for faux cambro. Can’t wait!
Good forum for keto and smoking. Thanks guys for posting

Hi all - Great forum and so much info! I started dieting about 18 months ago and I am down 70lbs to date. I was a college wrestler and have always been able to manage my weight through heavy ass dieting and exercise. That all changed about 20 years ago when I retired from LE, and soon found myself over 3 bills! My ticket to weight loss has been intermittent fasting and calorie counting - I did do keto for a bit but found myself in the hospital - something about a 1/2 stick of butter in the coffee just doesn't equate to healthy. My doctor advised to get off the keto asap and start intermittent fasting, so I pretty much gave up breakfast and skip a lunch here and there. In October I bought my RT700. Since getting the RT700, I've dropped 30lbs. I think the success in cooking with a smoker is to limit the amount of olive oil and butter when you cook.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back