Grilling pellets - Only a few choices

Cowboy57

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hi all. New to the Rec Tec scene and delivery of my 590 expected next week. Been researching pellets, and seems like Lumberjack is the most recommended. From what I can see on their website, you pretty much have to order by the pallet. Here's the problem.....no one in my area (south Louisiana) sells them. My choices are Traeger (Home Depot), Pit Boss (Lowes), B&B (Academy), or Pit Boss and Kingsford (Wallyworld). Which one(s) of these would you all recommend (no fillers, less ash, most smoke flavor, etc)? Which one(s) to stay away from?
Thanks in advance!

I know it's not an option for many but I'm surprised at the big difference in pricing comparing something like Amazon and buying from a local shop. I can get LJ for $11 and change for 20 lbs, Amazon has it for as low as $24.90. Although I'm still waiting for the local shop to get it back in stock!

Of the options Cowboy mentions, B&B is the only one I could find that told us what a pellet is made up of, 2/3 oak and 1/3 flavor woods. All say no chemicals or fillers, Kingsford and Traeger says made in the USA.

Buy one of each and see which one you prefer.

If you order on web they have to cover shipping. They are not easy or cheap to ship.

I prefer cookingpellets.com. You can order direct from them or through Amazon. I found a dealer about 1.5 hours drive so happy about that. If in a pinch I can get Lumberjack through Dicks Sporting Goods about 25 minutes away. I have also used Pit Boss and never had a problem with that brand either. Hope this helps a bit and welcome to the group. Enjoy the heck out of your 590.

The whole world has Amazon.com, Walmart.com, etc. That said, I've used Pit Boss pellets and didn't find anything to complain about.

ditto on an amazon for pellets. when i need to. One note.. you mention a lot of big box stores. Have you called around to grill, fireplace or outdoor cooking stores? Around me i can get LJ at the local grill store that sells 3-4 brands of smokers. I will say weber is taking up more and more shelf space, but i have found LJ or other good brands at specialty stores versus big box.

Hi all. New to the Rec Tec scene and delivery of my 590 expected next week. Been researching pellets, and seems like Lumberjack is the most recommended. From what I can see on their website, you pretty much have to order by the pallet. Here's the problem.....no one in my area (south Louisiana) sells them. My choices are Traeger (Home Depot), Pit Boss (Lowes), B&B (Academy), or Pit Boss and Kingsford (Wallyworld). Which one(s) of these would you all recommend (no fillers, less ash, most smoke flavor, etc)? Which one(s) to stay away from?
Thanks in advance!
If you are ever in South Texas Houston area there is a store called Wild Bills in la Marque Texas where you buy 40lb bags of cookin pellets for 40 bucks

Thanks in advance!

I know what you mean. fortunately, I found a store in la marque texas called Wild Bill's and I can buy cookin pellets comp blend for 20 bucks for 40 lbs. They also carry a lumberjack. If you are in South Louisiana it may be worth the drive for you to come over and get some. You should call them first to make sure what they have in stock

Last edited:
Thank you for correcting me. I made a mistake it was 20 dollars for 40LB

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back