Bullseye Grilling temperature question

mikeporter616

It's not my fault!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I did some kalbi cut beef ribs last week on my 380 at 450 with grillgrates. I did not get much of a sear on the meat. It had been marinated, so that may have been the problem. I plan on doing bacon wrapped shrimp tomorrow. The recipe (HeyGrillHey) calls for 450 for ~ 8 minutes turning over multiple times. Do I need to up the temp? Also, with the 380 open for 8 minutes, will it hold temp? I've only done a few cooks on the 380, so looking for tips. Thanks.

You should get a sear at that temp but I prefer 500 or riot mode for searing. I either use the grill grates or I have that aura cast iron grill grate I use most of the time and I get great sear marks at 500.

If the lid is open 8 minutes, it will take some time to get back up to temp. Maybe 5 minutes or so.

You should get a sear at that temp but I prefer 500 or riot mode for searing. I either use the grill grates or I have that aura cast iron grill grate I use most of the time and I get great sear marks at 500.

If the lid is open 8 minutes, it will take some time to get back up to temp. Maybe 5 minutes or so.
Thanks for the info. The recipe calls for near constant basting and turning so the grill will be open most of the time. Maybe I should shoot for riot mode?

Maybe I should shoot for riot mode?
If you are running the Bullseye at 450-500° and are leaving the lid open, the PID controller will eventually put it in RIOT mode (even though the display will still show the set temp). If these grills cannot maintain the set temp (even if it is because the lid is open), they will crank the temps until they reach set temp or max air/fuel supply capacity of the grill, whichever comes first. As a side note, that’s one reason why I think the recteq griddle is a lousy accessory for the Bullseye, because if you cook with the lid open the griddle surface gets too hot because the grill is trying to reach an unattainable temp because the lid is open.

If you are running the Bullseye at 450-500° and are leaving the lid open, the PID controller will eventually put it in RIOT mode (even though the display will still show the set temp). If these grills cannot maintain the set temp (even if it is because the lid is open), they will crank the temps until they reach set temp or max air/fuel supply capacity of the grill, whichever comes first. As a side note, that’s one reason why I think the recteq griddle is a lousy accessory for the Bullseye, because if you cook with the lid open the griddle surface gets too hot because the grill is trying to reach an unattainable temp because the lid is open.
Greg, thanks! That is really useful information. I fell better about the cook now.

Greg, thanks! That is really useful information. I fell better about the cook now.
Bacon wrapped shrimp as well as bacon wrapped jalapeños are great on the Bullseye! You are in for a treat. My suggestion is to always use regular cut bacon if doing a wrap. I normally buy or make thick cut bacon, and it doesn’t work well as a wrapper.

@mikeporter616 I cook on my 380 weekly, that temp with GG should sear. Typically my Bullseye overshoots temps.
It does take a minute for the GG's to get hot, compared to how quickly the 380 comes up to temp. I have an IR to temp the GG. They generally running 100+ over the set temp.
I cooked some chicken this weekend and it seared awesome.
I also did an Outside skirt steak the week before last and it did great with me constantly flipping with the lid up.
Also with marinade, I try to put in in different areas when I flip.
I have been cranking my temp up a little higher as it does seem that the GG cool a little quicker with larger cuts or meats with heavy marinate.
Be careful on small things like shrimp and even chicken.

@Pops The plot thickens. When I did those ribs last week, the GG's seemed to be at or even below the 380 temp. I'll have to check my infrared to see if that is a problem. Thanks for the advise.

@Pops The plot thickens. When I did those ribs last week, the GG's seemed to be at or even below the 380 temp. I'll have to check my infrared to see if that is a problem. Thanks for the advise.
I would call RT or GG for advice. I only use my Bullseye for hot and fast cooks. Hotdogs, Hamburgers, Chicken and steaks. So they are quick and the lid is open probably 50% of the time.
I will say that I have been cranking mine up a little higher lately, with better results. I am not sure how well the GG's hold heat.
I use my 590 for Ribs, roasts, butts etc. The grill is so stable and predictable it is really great.

PS, meant to offer congrats to KU! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

I would call RT or GG for advice. I only use my Bullseye for hot and fast cooks. Hotdogs, Hamburgers, Chicken and steaks. So they are quick and the lid is open probably 50% of the time.
I will say that I have been cranking mine up a little higher lately, with better results. I am not sure how well the GG's hold heat.
I use my 590 for Ribs, roasts, butts etc. The grill is so stable and predictable it is really great.

PS, meant to offer congrats to KU! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
I've got to agree with you on the 590, mine has been rock solid too. I think most of my problems are user related since I've only done a few cooks on it. We'll see how it goes. Wife is a KU grad, they stole Bill Self from my alma mater.

Hey if this discussion is still open, I have a heat question as well. New to the 380. Tried a burger tonight and it was just ok. I wanted a charred burger with some smoke flavor. I first took the grill to 225 and let the patty smoke in that for a few minutes. Then I took it off and went to 450, then 500, hoping to get some flame broil, but nadda. I didn't want to dry out the burger so I pulled it with some cheddar on top. Like I said it was fine, but any suggestions on charring temps that you have found to be successful for burger. It is possible that my meat may have been too lean. Thoughts/help?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back