HAS ANYONE SMOKED A FRESH UNCOOKED HAM?

Bruce Lathrop

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I am enjoying my RT340, and want to try something a little different.
I would like to smoke a fresh and uncooked ham, either the shank, butt, or whole ham(both pieces.
If you’ve been successful in doing one, could you please post your details and procedures?

Thanks
Bruce L.
Valencia, CA

Bruce, a little late for Thanksgiving, but may help you in the future.
Once a year, I take a Farmer John ham (either a whole or butt, depending on family showing up) and trim all the fat off, inject it with a combination of chicken broth, John Henry's Sugar Maple Rub and maple syrup, put it on my komado with apple wood for smoke at about 350F, build a bark, rub heavily with JH Sugar Maple Rub, keep building bark (bump temp up if rub isn't glazing or in a pinch, I will use a large propane torch to glaze the rub.) Some basting with maple syrup can add a bit more flavor too. A butt can take 4-5 hours, a whole ham can be a few hours longer. The Farmer John hams are fully cooked. Avoid a spiral cut ham at all costs.

You would have to modify the cook for a pellet grill, but you have the basics: injection, rub, smoke, enough heat to glaze the brown sugar in the rub and maple syrup.

Family skirmishes have happened over my ham. Some stealing of the leftover take-home packages has occurred. Actually, my brother's girlfriend who lives up by you, was caught with my mother's ham package one year. We didn't see her for a few years after that. LOL.

enjoy
Chuck

Last edited:
Thanks Chuck, that does help.
I agree about the spiral cut hams as they dry out.

Your note says that this is a COOKED ham. So, you do this slow process with a cooked ham. Does it dry out? have you tried with an UNCOOKED ham?

Thanks much.

Bruce

Bruce,
I've never seen an uncooked ham in my markets.

As for drying out, since I inject it, its not an issue. I tend to pull them off when they get to about 140 internal (coolest spot)

I have "experienced" fresh smoked ham once and vow to do it myself. I talked to the local butcher and the best he could offer was to order and sell me the whole leg which didn't make logistical sense. Maybe one of the various online meat shops offer an uncooked ham.

I must say that the ham I tasted was far superior to any ham I can recall. Certainly more flavorful than the overrated spiral cut things.

I have "experienced" fresh smoked ham once and vow to do it myself. I talked to the local butcher and the best he could offer was to order and sell me the whole leg which didn't make logistical sense. Maybe one of the various online meat shops offer an uncooked ham.

I must say that the ham I tasted was far superior to any ham I can recall. Certainly more flavorful than the overrated spiral cut things.

Yeah, you couldn't give me a spiral cut ham.

When I was buying and butchering live pigs ,(only did this for around 5 years). We would cure the legs to ham, smoke , freeze.

If you don't cure it , it is going to be just a pork roast.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back