Heavier bark

garmp

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. RT-300
I have about a 7+ lb pork shoulder and want to get a nice thick bark, but still keep it juicy. Rubbed with maple syrup and my home made rub, cooked at 225° until IT of 175. foiled to 2(ish) more hours then back on the grill at 325° for almost an hour, depending ton the bark.
Does this sound like a good way of getting a heavy bark & still maintain the moistness?

How do you do it?

When you wrap, use butcher paper instead of foil. Still keeps moisture inside the meat, but allows for more bark than foil.

I have about a 7+ lb p maple syrup and pork shoulder and want to get a nice thick bark, but still keep it juicy. Rubbed with maple syrup and my home made rub, cooked at 225° until IT of 175. foiled to 2(ish) more hours then back on the grill at 325° for almost an hour, depending ton the bark.
Does this sound like a good way of getting a heavy bark & still maintain the moistness?

How do you do it?
Increased bark- A few companies (American Spice Co) make maple syrup and molasses as powders. The powder and sugars help dry the surface of the meat to make a full bark. Have to be careful not to let the bark get too done, could get bitter. Wrap it before. Great flavor

I use liquid maple syrup to help the rub adhere. But am I on the right track wrapping it then back on at a higher temp?

Been using foil then back on at 325° for the bark. Have no butcher paper yet.

In my humble opinion you will need to experiment and hone-in on what methods meet your preference. You might consider wrapping after the bark is set to your liking rather than doing so at a prescribed temperature. Other options include riding naked the entire cook. I don't have personal experience with syrup as a binder; often I add nothing for a binder but when I do I use a very thin coating of mustard. Also; if need be you could add juices back in after you pull it.

Good luck!

I have been cooking butts for 35 years. Large drum charcoal smokers, reverse flow stick burners and added the bull.

When that butt or shoulder gets to 160/165 I wrap with foil adding my juice even when cooking 65 butts. I have all the bark I need at that time and it firms up on the resting

If that isn't enough bark then use butcher paper BUT I am a wrapper from way back and will always wrap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back