Hot n' Fast Brisket or Low n' Slow Brisket?

Ah damn! Correction...what temps have given rectec owners the best results when smoking brisket?

I have a RT-700, but I have gotten good results with temps between 225-250 and just cook until temp is 195-205.

@ccmjr77- good to know. I also wait till 195, that is when i start probing the meat for tenderness then usually pull meat around 203-205 and let rest but afraid to go back to cooler resting because i am afraid that could be over-cooking the meat. for whatever reason a hotter grill temp seemed to be the reason I got my best results yet, maybe it was the brisket I was using, first time using Sams Club prime brisket.

I cook whole packers at 225-235 with the RT Ultimate Blend. All have turned out excellent. I use Texas Crutch and start checking them for tenderness at 195. When soft as butta or 203 degrees, they go into cabro for 2 hours minimum.
Always a hit and lip smakin good.

Brisket is like chuck roast, its not cook temp so much as length of time. You can successfully pull off a great brisket up to around 350. At some point around there you risk drying it out if you want to get it as tender as it should be based on how long it takes all the connective tissue to break down. I have been know to start them at 225ish and when they hit the stall push up the temp a bit to get it through then lower it back down. Just takes a bit of practice to git it to a place you are happy with. As an example a few years ago while playing around i took a brisket and cut it up into 3-4 pound pieces. Cooked at plenty of different temps and ultimately determined what i wrote above. You cant rush a brisket, you can however coax it to get done a little faster :).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back