How carried away do you get with outdoor cooking?

Uncle Bob

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hello, my name is Bob, and I’m a gizmo-holic.

Earlier today our new friend on here, David in Las Vegas, enthused about how much he’s enjoying his new Stampede and how much he has planned to do with it this weekend. That got me to thinking, do some of us (guilty!) get a little carried away with outdoor cooking devices and accessories. The old saying is “ confession is good for the soul” so I’ll start out by saying I like tools/devices/toys of all kind. I even have a small sign over the door of my shop/garage/out building to declare such.
gar door sign.JPG

As for outdoor cooking I probably have too many devices as there is some overlap among them, but when bought, the way they operated I found intriguing so thought, “why not…….”. Others are a product of evolution, learning that some tools are better at doing some things than others that we’ve been “getting bye” on. So here’s my list;
  • One of the first things we added to this house when we moved here was an outdoor kitchen. So along with a set of cabinets and countertops complete with sink, we added a gas grill tied into the whole house propane plumbing. I expected we’d be doing some entertaining so went larger than two people really need. I got a Summerset TRL 44, A very nice gasser with high btu burners, rotisserie, and I added an infrared sear burner. It does a nice job for strictly grilling things, though I’ve also used the cast iron griddle from the inside stove to do griddle things, albeit it’s a tad smallish.

• When we moved we brought a Kamado Joe 18” kamodo with us, they are now referred to as a Classic Joe since they’ve broadened their line of offerings. It’s been a solid unit and functioned as our first form of smoking experience along with its grilling capabilities. It’s a bit fiddly to build a steady temp fire, but I bought a DiGi Q controller and pit viper fan that makes it much easier. After some experimenting with the RT on pizza, I still prefer the KJ as it more closely emulates a wood fired pizza oven.

• A couple years ago I became more intrigued with smoking (probably a Texas thing) and dipped my toe in with an electric box smoker from Smoke Hollow. It had wifi capability which I thought was a neat tool. It worked fairly well for about a year, produced some good ribs and a few briskets, but eventually fell to the bugs that infest electronic gear. It must have proven to be a real blivet as Smoke Hollow doesn’t offer it anymore and doesn’t support it. Maybe I”ll use it as a cold smoke box.

• Then I was visiting my sister for Thanksgiving and she’s really into smoking.....really. She has a modest Camp Chef unit but gets some very good results from it. We did three turkeys that year; a traditional stuffed one in the inside oven, a deep fried one (a huge favorite in our family), and a smoked one. I enjoyed the smoked one and watched the process she went through to prepare and cook. I’d been aware of pellet smokers, but hadn’t focused much on the category until then. Well, the outcome of that exposure/experience was researching and ending up buying the Stampede smoker/grill. The PID controls and the build quality for the price have been a joy. It is a wonderfully predictable and reliable cooker with quite a bit of versatility.

• On a whim I got interested in barrel smokers, and there is a loyal contingent at Amazing Ribs that almost seem cult like in their devotion to them. They tend to favor the Pit Barrel Smoker (PBS), but they also had a number of discussions about modifications/kludges/wishes they had for the unit and I discovered that the Barrel House Smoker cured a number of those issues. I had the opportunity to buy one at a significant discount from someone who never opened the box of the one they’d gotten so took a shot. Did I mention I’m a gizmo-holic? Anyway, I’ve only done ribs with it so far, the idea of hanging and not wrapping while operating at a higher temperature I found interesting. So far it’s turned out some decent ribs, but not what I’d consider outstanding.

• Recently I came across an outdoor stove from Camp Chef, the Somerset IV. Typically the kind of stoves that are of this design are the portable camp stove variety (I have one of those too that we’ve used for deep frying so as to keep the smell outside the house). This stove is different in that it is dressier, sits at a 34” operating height at the grate, and has four burners rated at 30k btu per. The unit is 48” long so the burners are well spaced for pots of larger capacity. I had gotten a large 32 x 17 griddle for the other camp stove and it fits fine over three of the burners. We’ve used the griddle a couple times, once was to convert left over pulled pork into carnitas for tacos. But it’s been very handy for deep frying as it keeps the smell outside, has terrific temperature recovery with those large output burners, and have done some wok cooking which was terrific because, again the smell is outdoors, and the cook time is very short/quick. In some ways this has become the most versatile piece of equipment we have on the patio.
So there’s my confession, more toys than makes sense, but hey………………..I may have to grow old, but I don’t have to grow up. So………………………..whatcha got?

Hahah I like the way you think Sir. I cant say I own alot of cooking toys but I own a shop full of toys. It grows beyond the floor space. But i use about everything in it.

Cooking toys: Stampede. It's my first high end pellet smoker. High end to me anyway. I know theres even more fancy ones out there. And I just got a inferred gas grill. I usually the grills that last about two season before they rust apart.

Shop toys: see pic hahah

Attachments

• 20190410_171610.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 101
Okay, all those grinders and vintage chain saws up on shelves it a bit...………….um, eccentric...….but I like it!

Holy cow, I get a bit (lot) obsessed with any hobby I pick up. On a whim, I fished from the bank of a small local lake here and had a blast. Next thing you know, I'm buying a Tracker ProTeam 175 with about $5k in accessories, bought a small piece of land in a private lake community, bought a small 8ft. pontoon & trailer to fish the 6 or so smaller lakes in said community... and let's not get into the thousands spent on rods, reels, and holy hell, the tackle...

So my backyard has pretty much just been a bathroom for our four *big* dogs for the last 10 years or so. This Spring my wife decides to plant a flower garden back there and says "I wish we could grill back here again."... Well, that set off an avalanche. Next thing we know, I had a Stampede ordered (thanks to excellent advice from my brother, who owns a Bull). He suggests that I'll want to have a way to keep it dry when it rains during long cooks... so I ordered a huge 10ft. cantilever umbrella. Not 2 days after getting that put together, I walk into Costco and find myself staring at a 14' x 12' wood pavilion... gotta have it! It took me no time at all to realize my knives weren't capable of cutting the mustard or the meat, so I became the proud owner of a set of Wusthof Classic knives. We also had no freezer space for meats and leftovers, so back to Costco.com for a 23.3 cubic ft. freezer. Throw in a couple of (inexpensive by comparison) ThermoWorks gadgets (Thermapen MK4 and a Signals 4-probe thermometer with remote monitoring), and now I think it's time to sit back and just enjoy this new hobby (lifestyle?)... which started when I ordered the Stampede only 3 weeks ago!

Last edited:
Holy cow, I get a bit (lot) obsessed with any hobby I pick up. On a whim, I fished from the bank of a small local lake here and had a blast. Next thing you know, I'm buying a Tracker ProTeam 175 with about $5k in accessories, bought a small piece of land in a private lake community, bought a small 8ft. pontoon & trailer to fish the 6 or so smaller lakes in said community... and let's not get into the thousands spent on rods, reels, and holy hell, the tackle...

So my backyard has pretty much just been a bathroom for our four *big* dogs for the last 10 years or so. This Spring my wife decides to plant a flower garden back there and says "I wish we could grill back here again."... Well, that set off an avalanche. Next thing we know, I had a Stampede ordered (thanks to excellent advice from my brother, who owns a Bull). He suggests that I'll want to have a way to keep it dry when it rains during long cooks... so I ordered a huge 10ft. cantilever umbrella. Not 2 days after getting that put together, I walk into Costco and find myself staring at a 14' x 12' wood pavilion... gotta have it! It took me no time at all to realize my knives weren't capable of cutting the mustard or the meat, so I became the proud owner of a set of Wusthof Classic knives. We also had no freezer space for meats and leftovers, so back to Costco.com for a 23.3 cubic ft. freezer. Throw in a couple of (inexpensive by comparison) ThermoWorks gadgets (Thermapen MK4 and a Signals 4-probe thermometer with remote monitoring), and now I think it's time to sit back and just enjoy this new hobby (lifestyle?)... which started when I ordered the Stampede only 3 weeks ago!

ARE YOU MY LONG LOST BROTHER?!?!?

I could be! :cool:
@GoneToTheDogz All I can say is that I am the same way. Give me a bone to chew on and before you know it I am looking for the whole dam cow.
Been that way for fishing, mountain biking and now SMOKERING...LOL

I really want to have my new smoker set up and operational for the fourth of july!! It will be the first July 4th I have been off from work so I want to make it memorable!!
I think today just might be the day I go ahead and pull the trigger and order it!!

I put in a couple of emails to Rec Tec and Im just waiting for the reply. Wish they would answer already...LOL

how long have you had yours and any regrets at all?

how long have you had yours and any regrets at all?

@NU2SMOKE Other than BBQing pork steaks on a charcoal grill, I'm an absolute rookie when it comes to grilling/smoking. I ordered my Stampede on May 23rd, it was shipped on May 28th, and it was delivered on June 7th. It was a long wait, which I partly attribute to the Memorial Day holiday. With that said, it was SO worth the wait. This thing is making me look like a professional cook...

I ordered it with the Cattle Drive Bundle, which I highly recommend. Plenty of pellets to keep you cooking for at least several months (probably longer), some very useful accessories, and I was very impressed with the quality of the cover (and everything else, for that matter). With me being me, I did order some other things, like the Bullpen, a couple boxes of disposable black gloves, the rub and sauce bundle, a grate brush, and some cooking mats.

My first cook was a Pork Shoulder/Butt on June 8th, which had amazing results. My only complaint was the temperature probes didn't seem all that accurate (or at least they had me doubting their accuracy). I had purchased a well-respected MK4 pen probe from ThermoWorks, and my readings from that probe weren't all that close to what the RT probes were showing. Between all of my probes, I did the best I could at pulling the butt at a temp I thought to be close enough to 203*, and as it turned out, it was amazing.

I've since cooked chicken breasts twice, Mac & cheese, and this weekend, tackled a beef brisket... all came out unbelievable good. I'd be happy to share my recipes with you.

So to answer your question, no regrets whatsoever. Best part is, my wife loves it even more than I do - not because she likes cooking on it, but because she no longer has to come up with things for dinner! I've taken that responsibility off her shoulders. ☺

So to answer your question, no regrets whatsoever.
WOW that is a very glowing review indeed and from what I have been reading there are tons of people who would stand behind you saying "yeah me too".

My experience in smoking is limited to 4 years of varying success on a 40" electric smoker. Chicken...great...RIBS ehhh ok....Brisket:eek:

I would absolutely love to hear your recipe and process for your brisket. I purchased a whole packer brisket from Costco...took my time and trimmed it up nicely. Seasoned it with just salt and pepper and proceeded to smoke it till it was screaming for mercy and died in my arms. I was able to salvage some of to reline a few pair of shoes I had that needed it:rolleyes: DONT ASK

I a very happy for you that you are truly enjoying it.

Here are some absolute winners! I've been using an app called Recipe Keeper, which allows me to edit my recipes on my computer, iPhone & iPad, so it's been really convenient to keep track of what I did, and also makes it easy to share (like now, for instance :)). In the Notes section of the recipes, I add comments related to that specific cook (and probably made adjustments to the Ingredients and/or Directions as a result). I'll also throw in a Mac & Cheese recipe as well... best mac & cheese we've ever had by far!

Pork Shoulder/Butt
Beef Brisket (whole)
Mac & Cheese

Here are some absolute winners! I've been using an app called Recipe Keeper, which allows me to edit my recipes on my computer, iPhone & iPad, so it's been really convenient to keep track of what I did, and also makes it easy to share (like now, for instance :)). In the Notes section of the recipes, I add comments related to that specific cook (and probably made adjustments to the Ingredients and/or Directions as a result). I'll also throw in a Mac & Cheese recipe as well... best mac & cheese we've ever had by far!

Pork Shoulder/Butt
Beef Brisket (whole)
Mac & Cheese

I so appreciate the recipes and app suggestion... I promise to take pics of each of them when I do them and share with everybody.

Thank you!

Enjoy! Did you order your Rec Tec?
Funny you should ask that.... Like I said I put in a couple emails to rec tec with some questions and I haven't heard back from them. I have read alot about the terrific customer service over the phone but I do alot of emails and an email for me is usually easier. If I don't hear back from them tomorrow I am going to call them. It was kinda a test to see of they answer emails as well as the phones. Although I am sure they are stupid busy as well.

To be honest, I had the same experience with their customer service. As I mentioned earlier, I ordered the rub/sauce bundle. Well, the spicy BBQ sauce comes in a glass bottle for some reason, and apparently it broke during shipping, as my UPS delivery status said "The package has been damaged. All merchandise has been discarded and the sender will be notified.". Well, I sent them an email first thing that morning and didn't hear back from them. I finally just called them in the afternoon, and they shipped me another bundle. It sounds like email support isn't their sweet spot, but they excel at phone support...

To be honest, I had the same experience with their customer service. As I mentioned earlier, I ordered the rub/sauce bundle. Well, the spicy BBQ sauce comes in a glass bottle for some reason, and apparently it broke during shipping, as my UPS delivery status said "The package has been damaged. All merchandise has been discarded and the sender will be notified.". Well, I sent them an email first thing that morning and didn't hear back from them. I finally just called them in the afternoon, and they shipped me another bundle. It sounds like email support isn't their sweet spot, but they excel at phone support...
I will be happy if the phone support is as great as everybody says it is. I will call them tomorrow and find out for myself.;)

I was wondering if anybody from REC TEC comes to this forum and reads what their customers are saying?

Well, it's been a couple months since we started this one and we've had quite the summer influx of new members so let's pull this to the top and see if we have any more eccentrics out there.

Ok, I am not as crazy as some, but have started a mini arsenal myself. I have been a Weber gasser guy for my whole cooking life (35+ years), until I saw the light of the dark side and found my way to the pellet cooking side of things a few years ago. After more than a year of research, yes it took that long, I made the move on a 680, and never looked back. I love my RT for all things low and slow. This past winter I started Jonesing to try charcoal cooking after a family trip with a bunch of other families where we cooked on charcoal grills a couple of nights.
I had my eye on a Weber Master Touch Kettle Grill, and was looking to pull the trigger. I will not bore everyone with a long drawn out story, but wound up purchasing a Happy Cooker kettle grill at a garage sale for $5. This grill is a classic (in grate condition), built somewhere between 1979 - 1981 before Weber won a law suit and put HC out of business. With the $5 I also got 70# of charcoal as well (I did not know I was getting that much charcoal when I settled on the $5).

Still wanting that Weber Master Touch, I found one on Craigslist locally for $40 and snagged it up. It was only 2 years old, and barely used. Now, Weber, a few months ago, came out with a new color line for it's Master Touch Series. They have re-introduced an Ivory colored Master Touch, which will probably sit on my deck by the end of the summer. It would have been here sooner, but had to pay for a summer vacation and then a significant plumbing issue in the house. Not sure I could still live in the house if I forego those issues for purchasing "another" grill.

Long story, my arsenal currently consist of 1 pellet cooker, 1 gasser, and two 22 inch kettle grills, with one more on the way. And yes, although the gasser has seen less duty (I did use it tonight), I spread the wealth around between all pits. If I am not traveling for work, we/I cook on a pit outside at least 4-5 times a week year round. I live in NJ.

My line up includes a Rec Tec Stampede, Weber Genesis and a Blackstone 22 inch griddle Plus we have a full kitchen in the house! For now, we seem to have things covered....

Attachments

• IMG_2682.JPG
    IMG_2682.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 69
So I may or may not have a problem. I have not used our oven in probably 20 years to cook meat. I have 4 grills now and a Bull sitting in a depot 45 miles from home. Should be delivered weds. I will have to cull the heard.
My wife thought I needed a break this thanksgiving and SHE did the turkey in the oven. It was good, but meat without a smoke ring is blasphemous. It felt weird not doing the bird!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back