How carried away do you get with outdoor cooking?

I have a BGE, Weber kettle a Weber gas grill and a 22'' Blackstone on my deck now and waiting for my Stampede to be delivered this Thursday.

Wow, this is fun, forgot about this thread that only dates back 2ish years. In the interest of true confession my lineup has changed considerably since the original posting. I still have the 44" gasser, and the 4 burner stove, but all the rest have changed. I'm now up to 16 outdoor cookers including a couple propane fueled griddles of different sizes, a pizza oven, and various charcoal and log burners. What can I say? I thrive on experimentation......................and toyz.

UB,
What kind of pizza oven do you have?

I got into pizza making pretty deep for a couple years. I bought a Blackstone, propane fired, rotating stone oven and was learning Neopolitan style, then bought a 2Stone, all stainless propane fired rotating stone oven. I used to hang out on the Pizzamaking.com forum. Fun stuff and especially makes kids happy.

@Roaniecowpony I remember we discussed those ovens you have a year or so ago. I still play with various grill kluges, but the dedicated pizza oven I have is the Ooni Koda 16. It is a small but powerful beast. Placement on the stone is critical to the outcome, but then the "ideal" is different for each person. I've come to backing down the burner output for the sake of getting a bit more cook on the bottom, even though my stone surface temp gets near 1000 degrees in the corner nearest the two burners on full blast. Like any other cooker, it takes experimentation to find the desired "ideal". If I don't try to favor the bottom doneness I can finish a pie in just slightly over a minute (with a few turns), but my preferred overall doneness is further from the flames with about a 2 minute total bake.

I initially got excited about the new Gosney Dome, but after waiting months on the "priority" list they screwed up the initial ordering process so much that it wasn't worth the frustration. Now that the first user videos are showing up on YT I'm glad they pissed me off so much as they appear to be a fussy device that is fairly overpriced for what you get by the time you add the "like to have" accessories that make the total cooking process more favorable. Their attitude during the order foul up deal has turned me off to their company, so all is good now that I don't have to deal with them.

Bob,
The real experienced wood fired oven guys over on Pizzamaking.com said that small WFOs are finicky and harder to use than a larger WFO.

I didn't get the bug bad enough to commit to a WFO. But I still got some years left in me. We're doing some hardscape in the back and It's a possibility in the future.

UB,
What kind of pizza oven do you have?

I got into pizza making pretty deep for a couple years. I bought a Blackstone, propane fired, rotating stone oven and was learning Neopolitan style, then bought a 2Stone, all stainless propane fired rotating stone oven. I used to hang out on the Pizzamaking.com forum. Fun stuff and especially makes kids happy.
That's a great site. The science that goes in to the dough making process is incredible.
I purchased a new mixer for the dough, a pizza stone, etc. but had to give it up due to the expanding waist line

I have the same affliction as many of my peers here. When I jump in a hobby, I jump ALL the way in. In addition to grilling and smoking food, I am all in on woodworking with a stand alone shop building, high end stereo, and motorcycling on my Harlely touring bike.
I have nine cookers which are listed in my profile. Here are a few photos of the rest.
E0200EEE-4A21-49E2-8332-510086E56AB9.jpeg
E0200EEE-4A21-49E2-8332-510086E56AB9.jpeg
A134E06C-60BF-4CE8-A02F-DBA4CB2B1DD2.jpeg
51EF0905-A587-4164-B969-564CED783638.jpeg
3FB51A58-CDAE-45A1-981A-8E163C9DA083.jpeg
60B2E505-0DAB-4DE3-BFE3-50CC04275B8B.jpeg

I have the same affliction as many of my peers here. When I jump in a hobby, I jump ALL the way in. In addition to grilling and smoking food, I am all in on woodworking with a stand alone shop building, high end stereo, and motorcycling on my Harlely touring bike.
Looks like we have more than a smoker in common. My rides, and my shop.

1065844A-18A0-4B93-B6F8-1E62F68F6503.jpeg
A10DFA35-E680-4A3D-B916-7C2131D121E0.jpeg
B4B98263-BDA6-4AC6-8B35-7FA980411326.jpeg

I have more kitchen gadgets than anyone should, including a cotton candy maker, Whynter ice cream maker, and ebelskiver maker, among the usual gadgets. It’s a running joke around my neighborhood. My favorite is my Kitchenaid mixer with all of the attachments. His name is Sir Mix-A-Lot. I feel like he likes me, and he cannot lie.

My favorite is my Kitchenaid mixer with all of the attachments. His name is Sir Mix-A-Lot. I feel like he likes me.
OMG, last winter I ‘retired’ my KA Artisan mixer and bought the KA Commercial model… and I kept the Artisan! I have most of the attachments as well-just used the cheese grater and the meat grinder today, plan on using the spiralizer for zucchini from my garden tomorrow.

OMG, last winter I ‘retired’ my KA Artisan mixer and bought the KA Commercial model… and I kept the Artisan! I have most of the attachments as well-just used the cheese grater and the meat grinder today, plan on using the spiralizer for zucchini from my garden tomorrow.
Just a KA Pro 5 Plus here. Your commercial mixer sounds sweet! That would have been nice when I made my friend’s wedding cakes.

Last edited:
Just a KA 5 Pro Plus here. Your commercial mixer sounds sweet! That would have been nice when I made my friend’s wedding cakes.
At the time I really was looking for the 6500 series in candy apple red but no one had them in stock. Found the commercial model and while the silver color is somewhat boring, the mixer is outstanding. Only thing better might be a classic Hobart!

I don’t recommend the ice cream attachment, by the way. All of the saline solution in the freezer bowl mysteriously dissipated. That was when I said “screw freezing the bowl” and got the Whynter.
Also, correction on my previous post- I don’t have the ravioli stuffing attachment.

I don’t recommend the ice cream attachment, by the way. All of the saline solution in the freezer bowl mysteriously dissipated. That was when I said “screw freezing the bowl” and got the Whynter.
Also, correction on my previous post- I don’t have the ravioli stuffing attachment.
I have the ice cream attachment, which I believe I’ve used twice over the years, and the pasta attachments, the spralizing attachments, grating attachments, and the meat grinding attachment. By far I use the meat grinding attachment the most (I first had the plastic version, now have the metal one) and the pasta attachments. But now the wife and I are on Keto, so we haven’t been using the pasta attachments either!

I have the ice cream attachment, which I believe I’ve used twice over the years, and the pasta attachments, the spralizing attachments, grating attachments, and the meat grinding attachment. By far I use the meat grinding attachment the most (I first had the plastic version, now have the metal one) and the pasta attachments. But now the wife and I are on Keto, so we haven’t been using the pasta attachments either!
That sounds an awfully lot like my arsenal! I’ve since replaced my extruded pasta attachment with a
That sounds an awfully lot like my arsenal! I did end up replacing my pasta extruding attachments with a Philips Avance pasta maker. Despite my best efforts, I haven’t been able to figure out a Keto-friendly pasta recipe for my sister and neighbors, though. I guess it’ll just be zoodles for them. Still use the Kitchenaid pasta roller/cutter attachments for various things, so I’ve kept them.

That sounds an awfully lot like my arsenal! I’ve since replaced my extruded pasta attachment with a

That sounds an awfully lot like my arsenal! I did end up replacing my pasta extruding attachments with a Philips Avance pasta maker. Despite my best efforts, I haven’t been able to figure out a Keto-friendly pasta recipe for my sister and neighbors, though. I guess it’ll just be zoodles for them. Still use the Kitchenaid pasta roller/cutter attachments for various things, so I’ve kept them.
I’m doing the zoodles also, and am very happy with the taste and texture. Probably the best keto substitute I’ve tried so far. I’m still tweaking the mix, as thus far they are so wet that they gum up the pasta rollers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back