Bull How long to smoke cured salmon at lowest temperature in smoke box?

JohnDS

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey guys,

I cured some salmon and it's ready to go on the smoker. I have the extra box installed and plan to put it in there on the lowest setting. I'm aware that it's not a true cold smoke as the bottom rack doesn't get below 100f. I assume that's why Rectec changed the name from "cold smoke box" to "smoke box". Anyway, I've been reading recipes but can't seem to find solid information on how long to cold smoke it. Anyone done this? Thank you.

Hey guys,

I cured some salmon and it's ready to go on the smoker. I have the extra box installed and plan to put it in there on the lowest setting. I'm aware that it's not a true cold smoke as the bottom rack doesn't get below 100f. I assume that's why Rectec changed the name from "cold smoke box" to "smoke box". Anyway, I've been reading recipes but can't seem to find solid information on how long to cold smoke it. Anyone done this? Thank you.
Ya, I’ve done it... the samon came out great! As far as time goes it really depends on how done you like the fish...? For me the Bull was put on low heavy smoke, and after a hour, hour and a half I started peaking in side the smoker box.. I took it out and checked it with a fork.. I like my salmon most ..I shredded it up to use on sandwiches... crackers during cocktail hours... ect. Here’s a few pictures of my set up with the fish ... Best Regards, Eldon

Attachments

• 4D9C9059-991B-49D4-AC2A-7D2FD452B193.jpeg
    4D9C9059-991B-49D4-AC2A-7D2FD452B193.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 279
  • 4791552E-45FB-4C9B-9E1D-90B2CEABE70D.jpeg
    4791552E-45FB-4C9B-9E1D-90B2CEABE70D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 120
  • 36BEE63D-107C-490A-AFE9-E838440B9C18.jpeg
    36BEE63D-107C-490A-AFE9-E838440B9C18.jpeg
    984.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 5C4237EC-4725-48EF-8C48-CE244526073B.jpeg
    5C4237EC-4725-48EF-8C48-CE244526073B.jpeg
    579.8 KB · Views: 135
Ya, I’ve done it... the samon came out great! As far as time goes it really depends on how done you like the fish...? For me the Bull was put on low heavy smoke, and after a hour, hour and a half I started peaking in side the smoker box.. I took it out and checked it with a fork.. I like my salmon most ..I shredded it up to use on sandwiches... crackers during cocktail hours... ect. Here’s a few pictures of my set up with the fish ... Best Regards, Eldon
I’ve made a lot of cold smoked Salmon. One way to keep temps down is with ice, ice packs or sometimes I use the inside of the wife’s ice cream maker. The piece you freeze to make ice cream. Keeps chamber cold, no water to drip.

Searching online for Nova Lox, I've found people doing anywhere from a couple hours of smoke to 24 hours. All were using smoking methods that are what I'd call low smoke output. One guy used a Traeger, but didnt fire up the Traeger, but instead just used a smoke tube on the opposite side from the fish. He did 12 hours of smoke.

I've used my RT-700 with smoke box to make smoked cheese at least 3 times now. Best to do it when ambient temps are low. The lower the ambient temps the easier to do. I'd recommend doing it at night if daytime temps are above 60. Also, keep the smoker in the shade, if smoking in the daytime. I used half restaurant trays with ice to keep the smoke box temps down. I put the cheese on the bottom rack and the ice tray in the middle rack position. You need to change out the tray ice every couple hours if you want to keep the temps below 90F. You'll want a probe thermometer of some kind to put in the smoke box at the level of your fish. The smoke box has very uneven heat distribution. It will be much hotter at the inlet of course. Avoid that side.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried dry ice? I live in southern NM and cold smoke box during the day never gets below 140 which is too hot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back