How to do the Rec Tec wheel mod

Mike

Kind of good admin
Community Leader
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
One question I see people asking a lot is how to do the Rec Tec wheel mod. It's no wonder why, the wheel and casters that come with the Rec Tec 680 and Rec Tec Bull are small and narrow making it cumbersome to move around. Everything up top on these grill are amazing, then you look down and it's like the Bull completely missed leg day.

NOTICE: This for the OLDER RT-700 generation pellet grills with the STRAIGHT LEGS.
If you have a newer RT-700 with the wider (bent) legs, this will NOT work for you.

By doing the wheel mod on your Rec Tec grill, your pellet grill is not only stand taller (which is nice for us taller guys) but also become more stable and much easier to move around. Below are the items you need and how to install the wheel mod!

Parts Needed:

How to install the Rec Tec wheel mod
  1. Lay your grill on it's back.
  2. Remove the wheels and casters from the bottom of the legs.
  3. Using the step drill bit set, make the wheel holes in the legs larger to fit the 5/8" all thread.
  4. Cut the all-thread down to 23 1/2".
  5. Then I install the nuts, washers and wheels as so: nut, washer, grill leg, washer, 10" wheel, washer, lock nut.
  6. Simply screw in your new 5" swivel casters.
That's it! Now stand the grill back up and you're ready to get back to smoking on the much easier to move and taller Rec Tec ;)

Alternative wheel axle parts:
If you'd rather not use all-thread for your axle you could also use a 5/8" x 36" zinc plated rod and a couple 5/8" shaft collars.

New casters install:
rec-tec-install-casters.jpg

Back wheel all-thread axle:
rec-tec-back-axel-wheel.jpg

Back wheel up close:
rec-tec-large-wheel.jpg

Full back axle:
rec-tec-wheel-upgrade.jpg

Have you done the wheel mod to your Rec Tec grill? If so post pictures of your grill below! (y)

This looks like an easy mod. I'm still waiting for my Bull to be delivered and I'm considering doing the mod as I assembly it. Would be great to see pictures.

@Ted, doing the mod during assembly would be much easier. I'll try to get pictures of mine posted tonight!

Just reading some FB posts about how flimsy the stock wheels are. A couple of people mentioned tipping over their grills when they moved them.

Just reading some FB posts about how flimsy the stock wheels are. A couple of people mentioned tipping over their grills when they moved them.

Tipping the Bull is very easy. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my deck (which will be the home of my Bull) so I'm keeping it in the garage. Even on the concrete floor I tipped mine over while I was moving it, luckily I managed to catch it before I fell over.

After the wheel mod, it's been a HUGE improvement over stock. Plus one of my stock casters already developed a flat spot which made for annoying noises while I moved the Bull.

BTW, I've updated the first post with pictures finally. Sorry for the delay, been working on that back deck and then my HVAC unit when out this week as well so it's been crazy here.

With the 10 inch wheels and the 5 inch casters, does it sit level? I've got to do something. I'm hauling mine around the yard with the stock wheels and it's like plowing a field. Almost tipped it pulling it out of my shed. :eek: No bueno.

With the 10 inch wheels and the 5 inch casters, does it sit level?
Perfectly level.

wheel-mod-level.jpg

If you're pulling this across the yard I don't know how you haven't dumped it already. I've managed to tip mine (luckily I was able to catch it) on concrete moving it out of my garage using the stock wheels.

The upgraded wheels seem much more stable while moving it around and the extra added height is a nice touch too.

One question I see people asking a lot is how to do the Rec Tec wheel mod. It's no wonder why, the wheel and casters that come with the Rec Tec 680 and Rec Tec Bull are small and narrow making it cumbersome to move around. Everything up top on these grill are amazing, then you look down and it's like the Bull completely missed leg day.

By doing the wheel mod on your Rec Tec grill, your pellet grill is not only stand taller (which is nice for us taller guys) but also become more stable and much easier to move around. Below are the items you need and how to install the wheel mod!

Parts Needed:

How to install the Rec Tec wheel mod
  1. Lay your grill on it's back.
  2. Remove the wheels and casters from the bottom of the legs.
  3. Using the step drill bit set, make the wheel holes in the legs larger to fit the 5/8" all thread.
  4. Cut the all-thread down to 23 1/2".
  5. Then I install the nuts, washers and wheels as so: nut, washer, grill leg, washer, 10" wheel, washer, lock nut.
  6. Simply screw in your new 5" swivel casters.
That's it! Now stand the grill back up and you're ready to get back to smoking on the much easier to move and taller Rec Tec ;)

Alternative wheel axle parts:
If you'd rather not use all-thread for your axle you could also use a 5/8" x 36" zinc plated rod and a couple 5/8" shaft collars.

New casters install:
View attachment 20

Back wheel all-thread axle:
View attachment 19

Back wheel up close:
View attachment 21

Full back axle:
View attachment 23

Have you done the wheel mod to your Rec Tec grill? If so post pictures of your grill below! (y)
did mine today had a hard time removing one swivel wheel, had to use cole chisel from underneath to turn out screw, as it was rusted. I like it because it raised the unit several inches!

I did almost the same thing on my 680.
Used the same casters, slightly different 10" wheels (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018SUG1ZQ/ -- note, not super-thrilled with these as they sometimes get a flat spot if it sits awhile)
I went with a stainless axle - https://www.metalsdepot.com/stainless-steel-products/stainless-steel-round -- 5/8 and 2' is all you need. Your links are all for the step-bit set, but IIRC the stainless only cost me a couple bucks more than the zinc one on amazon and I didn't have to cut it. 5/8 set screw shaft collars here - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019978Q28/

Couple of pics. The cinder block in the background held each side up as I replaced the casters so I didn't need to lay it over.
Sure rolls across the gravel / grass much easier.

IMG_20180406_184505598.jpg
IMG_20180406_184724187.jpg
IMG_20180406_184738574.jpg

Used the same casters, slightly different 10" wheels (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018SUG1ZQ/ -- note, not super-thrilled with these as they sometimes get a flat spot if it sits awhile)
I actually thought about trying solid 10" wheels myself just to see if they perform any better than the tires I currently have. I was thinking so I wouldn't have to worry about one going flat or tire pressure differences.

Didn't even think about the solid tires getting flat spots on them. Come to think of it, one of the stock wheels before I did this mod also developed a flat spot and it was only a month or two old before I did the mod.

I actually thought about trying solid 10" wheels myself just to see if they perform any better than the tires I currently have. I was thinking so I wouldn't have to worry about one going flat or tire pressure differences.

Didn't even think about the solid tires getting flat spots on them. Come to think of it, one of the stock wheels before I did this mod also developed a flat spot and it was only a month or two old before I did the mod.

The stock wheels developed a flat spot from sitting?? That's surprising.
The beefy tires have only done it to me once. I don't know if it was just too hot out or it just sat long enough (it gets used weekly, so maybe it sat for 2 weeks or something) but they did round back out when I moved it so no real harm there.

The stock wheels developed a flat spot from sitting?? That's surprising.
Not all of them, only one of them did and it was just a slight flat spot that was just noticeable when moving the grill over the concrete in my garage.

My Bull and competition cart will be delivered in January. I’m wondering if this wheel upgrade would work on the cart as well.

My Bull and competition cart will be delivered in January. I’m wondering if this wheel upgrade would work on the cart as well.
The Rec Tec competition cart already comes with a nice set of caster wheels so there isn't much need to do anything extra to it.

This mod is an alternative to spending the money on the comp cart. ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back