How to do the Rec Tec wheel mod

One question I see people asking a lot is how to do the Rec Tec wheel mod. It's no wonder why, the wheel and casters that come with the Rec Tec 680 and Rec Tec Bull are small and narrow making it cumbersome to move around. Everything up top on these grill are amazing, then you look down and it's like the Bull completely missed leg day.

By doing the wheel mod on your Rec Tec grill, your pellet grill is not only stand taller (which is nice for us taller guys) but also become more stable and much easier to move around. Below are the items you need and how to install the wheel mod!

Parts Needed:

How to install the Rec Tec wheel mod
  1. Lay your grill on it's back.
  2. Remove the wheels and casters from the bottom of the legs.
  3. Using the step drill bit set, make the wheel holes in the legs larger to fit the 5/8" all thread.
  4. Cut the all-thread down to 23 1/2".
  5. Then I install the nuts, washers and wheels as so: nut, washer, grill leg, washer, 10" wheel, washer, lock nut.
  6. Simply screw in your new 5" swivel casters.
That's it! Now stand the grill back up and you're ready to get back to smoking on the much easier to move and taller Rec Tec ;)

Alternative wheel axle parts:
If you'd rather not use all-thread for your axle you could also use a 5/8" x 36" zinc plated rod and a couple 5/8" shaft collars.

New casters install:
View attachment 20

Back wheel all-thread axle:
View attachment 19

Back wheel up close:
View attachment 21

Full back axle:
View attachment 23

Have you done the wheel mod to your Rec Tec grill? If so post pictures of your grill below! (y)
this is a very nice modification, but i am a complete duffus when it comes to stuff like this. is there a video link that demos how this is done? your photos and directions are well done and concise, and i think i understand how it all fits together, but a video would be most helpful. i am ordering the 700, and would like to do this modification as i put the grill together. i was considering ordering the comp cart, but i actually prefer what you have done here. it really seems to make this cart as robust as the rest of the unit. plus, you get to keep the bottom shelf, which would disappear with the comp cart.

I did almost the same thing on my 680.
Used the same casters, slightly different 10" wheels (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018SUG1ZQ/ -- note, not super-thrilled with these as they sometimes get a flat spot if it sits awhile)
I went with a stainless axle - https://www.metalsdepot.com/stainless-steel-products/stainless-steel-round -- 5/8 and 2' is all you need. Your links are all for the step-bit set, but IIRC the stainless only cost me a couple bucks more than the zinc one on amazon and I didn't have to cut it. 5/8 set screw shaft collars here - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019978Q28/

Couple of pics. The cinder block in the background held each side up as I replaced the casters so I didn't need to lay it over.
Sure rolls across the gravel / grass much easier.

View attachment 45View attachment 46View attachment 47
so WildBlue, what you did for the rear was to increase the diameter of the hole to 5/8" in the grill legs, place the 304stainless rod and wheels, secured only by the 5/8" shaft collars? no need for any washers? and the replacement casters just screw back into the original threads at front? thanks for any advice

so WildBlue, what you did for the rear was to increase the diameter of the hole to 5/8" in the grill legs, place the 304stainless rod and wheels, secured only by the 5/8" shaft collars? no need for any washers? and the replacement casters just screw back into the original threads at front? thanks for any advice

Yup - the casters are just a direct replacement. They screw right in.
The rod and wheels take a little work, but you've got the idea. Use a step bit to increase the diameter, feed the rod through, secure with the collars. The collars have little little set screws built in - a small allen wrench to snug it down and they're not going anywhere. I didn't use any washers, don't think they're needed.

@Bik I didn't make a video when I performed the wheel mod but it really is a very straight forward process.

I would add to @wildblue's comment about the step bit to say take your time. You don't want to end up creating a much larger hole than needed for the axle, just large enough to fit it through.

For anyone looking to do this mod, I see Harbor Freight has the 10" pneumatic tires on sale for $4.49 each right now!

Is it possible to do this mod on a Trailblazer?
@konmtu sure it's possible however since the Rec Tec Trailblazer has wheels on one side you'll need make up the difference of the extra height on the right side of the grill. Maybe use some square tube stock.

Otherwise your grill won't be level.

Planning on purchasing the 700 soon. Concerned about the wheels as I will need to push this around uneven pavement and yard at times. Thanks for all the great information!

Has anyone tried putting on longer legs and using four large wheels? Looks like at least one person posted an example to facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208614287856378&set=o.184981481546020&type=3&theater

I like the look of that, but not sure how well four rigid wheels will work. And based on a quick google search, 10 inch pneumatic swivel casters are not cheap.

@Whitey, yes I've seen others putting four large wheels on their Rec Tec Bull grill but keep in mind that's going to make moving and turning the grill much harder.

If you're going to move your RT-700 around a lot and certainly on uneven ground I would HIGHLY recommend doing the wheel mod as shown above.

Moving my Rec Tec Bull in the garage on a concrete floor I was able to tip my Bull over. Luckily enough I was able to respond quick enough and catch it before it smashed into the ground.

The wheel mod greatly improves the stability.

Has anyone have problems getting locknut's on the all thread? The ones I am trying to install are very tight and I am just not getting enough torque. I tried to grip the all thread with vice grips and install then but I just end up smashing threads with the vice grips.

Has anyone have problems getting locknut's on the all thread? The ones I am trying to install are very tight and I am just not getting enough torque. I tried to grip the all thread with vice grips and install then but I just end up smashing threads with the vice grips.
I didn't have any issues at all with mine, but I guess you could use vice grips. Just use them in the center of the all thread. Then it won't matter at all if the threads get flattened or not.

I didn't have any issues at all with mine, but I guess you could use vice grips. Just use them in the center of the all thread. Then it won't matter at all if the threads get flattened or not.

I eventually got the nuts on. I greased the all thread, then used 2* 24mm deep sockets one on each end. One was attached to a breaker bar and the other a normal 3/8" wrench. This worked for me.

Here is what my wheels look like

Last edited:
Will 5 inch casters from Lowes or Menards work or do they not have M12?
I've never been able to find threaded casters at Lowes, just the bolt-on ones. Menards maybe... ? Doubt it though, that's a pretty specific application.

I've never been able to find threaded casters at Lowes, just the bolt-on ones. Menards maybe... ? Doubt it though, that's a pretty specific application.

Also looks like 2 5/8 hex nuts each side o need total of 4 correct? List says 2?

Also looks like 2 5/8 hex nuts each side o need total of 4 correct? List says 2?
Mike used all thread axle and he does list (2) nuts and (2) lock nuts. So 4 total, yes.
I did smooth stainless axle and just used shaft collars.

Will 5 inch casters from Lowes or Menards work or do they not have M12?
We don't have a Menards here yet (they are building one) but we do have Home Depot and Lowes. When I did my conversion I checked both stores and online at both places - neither had 5" casters.

If you can find 5" M12 casters at any other store, than it should work just fine.

As @wildblue pointed out, you will need (2x) 5/8" nuts AND (2x) 5/8" locking nuts if you are using all thread for your axle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back