How to do the Rec Tec wheel mod

thedonkeystopped

Grill(s) owned
Bull
The 'new' legs on the 700 flare out a bit to give it a little wider stance. Buddy of mine just got his and sent me this:
View attachment 542

Assembled it looks like this

View attachment 543

I'm assuming they didn't change the small casters, but...

View attachment 544

The big wheels attach differently. From what I can tell, there's probably a threaded hole there, not a 'pass the bolt through' setup like before. So our parts list / how-to might need to be updated.
Yes. There’s a reinforcing tube welded in and it’s threaded. Brainstorming now...588589

Uncle Bob

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
Stampede
Without giving it very much thought (there might be a more elegant solution) probably a sleeve arrangement would be the easiest to get to the typical 5/8" dimension.

thedonkeystopped

Grill(s) owned
Bull
Without giving it very much thought (there might be a more elegant solution) probably a sleeve arrangement would be the easiest to get to the typical 5/8" dimension.
That's what I was thinking. I have the 5/8" 304 axle, I just need it drilled for the O.D. of the current axle, if I'm fancy add the step for reinforcement, then use a locking sleeve like in the earlier method.

I haven't had any time except to burn it in, I haven't even looked to see if the swivel legs are threaded M12. It was a real bear getting it through my grass so I'm definitely motivated to find a solution.

NU2SMOKE

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
Bull
Anyone know if the 700 with the new legs will need this too?
From what I have read ....the new leg design is alot more stable so I would think that the mod for that purpose might not be necessary. Some do the mod for the bigger wheels so the grill grates are up a little higher YMMV.

SJDawg

Grill(s) owned
Bull
Mine is in transit now and I almost bought the wheels and other items from the OP but held off. Glad I saw this post! I am NOT an engineer so hopefully one of you wizards will come up with a quick solution to get the bigger wheels to work. Is the issue that the existing receptacle for the wheel is too small for a bigger wheel? Sorry in advance I am newbie to the whole mod thing!

NxtGenCowboy

Grill(s) owned
Bull
I would recommend not getting the Libra tires. Mine have flat spots already. Literally sat for maybe a week... I'm going to contact them and see if they'll anything about it. I happened to be given a used comp cart so I'll switch to that eventually and probably sell the casters. I love the look of the red rims and red caster wheels... But I really don't want flat spots!

20190726_143324.jpg20190726_143327.jpg

Mike

Kind of good admin
Staff member
Grill(s) owned
Bull
I would recommend not getting the Libra tires. Mine have flat spots already. Literally sat for maybe a week... I'm going to contact them and see if they'll anything about it. I happened to be given a used comp cart so I'll switch to that eventually and probably sell the casters. I love the look of the red rims and red caster wheels... But I really don't want flat spots!

View attachment 917View attachment 918
That really stinks man and surprising they did that considering each is rated to support basically the weight of the entire grill on their own.

NxtGenCowboy

Grill(s) owned
Bull
It's possible, I do store it in my garage which gets max of 85F. It's been pretty warm here in Chicago.
I have reached out to the company I purchased them from and they are asking all kinds of questions... lets see where this leads.

Last edited:

NxtGenCowboy

Grill(s) owned
Bull
Small update... they basically stated these wheels are not supposed to be used this manner. "'
I really do apologize about your wheels going flat but these wheels are meant for a dolly or anything that isn't going to hold a lot of weight and stay in the same spot for extended amounts of time""

NU2SMOKE

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
Bull
Small update... they basically stated these wheels are not supposed to be used this manner. "'
I really do apologize about your wheels going flat but these wheels are meant for a dolly or anything that isn't going to hold a lot of weight and stay in the same spot for extended amounts of time""
Then I would think that they should say that somewhere in the description. "Not For Just Sitting In One Spot"
Does anybody else think that is strange or is that just me?

Uncle Bob

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
Stampede
If those are the wheels without tubes that are claimed to "never go flat" they (some anyway) are notorious for having trouble staying round. Go read a number of reviews on wheel barrows with them...……….many cranky people.