How to do the Rec Tec wheel mod

The 'new' legs on the 700 flare out a bit to give it a little wider stance. Buddy of mine just got his and sent me this:
View attachment 542

Assembled it looks like this

View attachment 543

I'm assuming they didn't change the small casters, but...

View attachment 544

The big wheels attach differently. From what I can tell, there's probably a threaded hole there, not a 'pass the bolt through' setup like before. So our parts list / how-to might need to be updated.
Yes. There’s a reinforcing tube welded in and it’s threaded. Brainstorming now...

Without giving it very much thought (there might be a more elegant solution) probably a sleeve arrangement would be the easiest to get to the typical 5/8" dimension.

Without giving it very much thought (there might be a more elegant solution) probably a sleeve arrangement would be the easiest to get to the typical 5/8" dimension.

That's what I was thinking. I have the 5/8" 304 axle, I just need it drilled for the O.D. of the current axle, if I'm fancy add the step for reinforcement, then use a locking sleeve like in the earlier method.

I haven't had any time except to burn it in, I haven't even looked to see if the swivel legs are threaded M12. It was a real bear getting it through my grass so I'm definitely motivated to find a solution.

Anyone know if the 700 with the new legs will need this too?
From what I have read ....the new leg design is alot more stable so I would think that the mod for that purpose might not be necessary. Some do the mod for the bigger wheels so the grill grates are up a little higher YMMV.

Mine is in transit now and I almost bought the wheels and other items from the OP but held off. Glad I saw this post! I am NOT an engineer so hopefully one of you wizards will come up with a quick solution to get the bigger wheels to work. Is the issue that the existing receptacle for the wheel is too small for a bigger wheel? Sorry in advance I am newbie to the whole mod thing!

I would recommend not getting the Libra tires. Mine have flat spots already. Literally sat for maybe a week... I'm going to contact them and see if they'll anything about it. I happened to be given a used comp cart so I'll switch to that eventually and probably sell the casters. I love the look of the red rims and red caster wheels... But I really don't want flat spots!

20190726_143324.jpg
20190726_143327.jpg

I would recommend not getting the Libra tires. Mine have flat spots already. Literally sat for maybe a week... I'm going to contact them and see if they'll anything about it. I happened to be given a used comp cart so I'll switch to that eventually and probably sell the casters. I love the look of the red rims and red caster wheels... But I really don't want flat spots!

View attachment 917View attachment 918
That really stinks man and surprising they did that considering each is rated to support basically the weight of the entire grill on their own.

It's possible, I do store it in my garage which gets max of 85F. It's been pretty warm here in Chicago.
I have reached out to the company I purchased them from and they are asking all kinds of questions... lets see where this leads.

Last edited:
Small update... they basically stated these wheels are not supposed to be used this manner. "'
I really do apologize about your wheels going flat but these wheels are meant for a dolly or anything that isn't going to hold a lot of weight and stay in the same spot for extended amounts of time""

Small update... they basically stated these wheels are not supposed to be used this manner. "'
I really do apologize about your wheels going flat but these wheels are meant for a dolly or anything that isn't going to hold a lot of weight and stay in the same spot for extended amounts of time""
Then I would think that they should say that somewhere in the description. "Not For Just Sitting In One Spot"
Does anybody else think that is strange or is that just me?

If those are the wheels without tubes that are claimed to "never go flat" they (some anyway) are notorious for having trouble staying round. Go read a number of reviews on wheel barrows with them...……….many cranky people.

One question I see people asking a lot is how to do the Rec Tec wheel mod. It's no wonder why, the wheel and casters that come with the Rec Tec 680 and Rec Tec Bull are small and narrow making it cumbersome to move around. Everything up top on these grill are amazing, then you look down and it's like the Bull completely missed leg day.

By doing the wheel mod on your Rec Tec grill, your pellet grill is not only stand taller (which is nice for us taller guys) but also become more stable and much easier to move around. Below are the items you need and how to install the wheel mod!

Parts Needed:
How to install the Rec Tec wheel mod
  1. Lay your grill on it's back.
  2. Remove the wheels and casters from the bottom of the legs.
  3. Using the step drill bit set, make the wheel holes in the legs larger to fit the 5/8" all thread.
  4. Cut the all-thread down to 23 1/2".
  5. Then I install the nuts, washers and wheels as so: nut, washer, grill leg, washer, 10" wheel, washer, lock nut.
  6. Simply screw in your new 5" swivel casters.
That's it! Now stand the grill back up and you're ready to get back to smoking on the much easier to move and taller Rec Tec ;)

Alternative wheel axle parts:
If you'd rather not use all-thread for your axle you could also use a 5/8" x 36" zinc plated rod and a couple 5/8" shaft collars.

New casters install:
View attachment 20

Back wheel all-thread axle:
View attachment 19

Back wheel up close:
View attachment 21

Full back axle:
View attachment 23

Have you done the wheel mod to your Rec Tec grill? If so post pictures of your grill below! (y)
is there any reason that this same mod wouldnt work with the 590? seems like it should

With regard to the RT 590.

Taking into consideration the costs of this modification as described in the original post.

$32.99 for a pair of the 10in wheels from Amazon according to the link. The Harbor Freight wheels are cheaper.

$12.99 for 5" Steelex D2618 swivel caster according to the link
$12.99 for 5" Steelex D2618 swivel caster according to the link
$09.99 for the step drill bit set.

And if you go with the axle, or the " 5/8" x 36" zinc plated rod" another $8.82.
And a "couple 5/8" shaft collars" at $2.85 each.

One has to take into account the above costs and the sweat in rigging this up, and weigh it against the cost of the RT 590 Competition cart which sells for $299.00.

It gives you not 2, but 4 swiveling and locking 6in wheels. A 1 year warranty, A wider, sturdier base, free shipping and something that isn't "home made" or rigged up.

In taking all of the above into account, it might be more advantageous for some RT590 owners to consider just going with competition cart as opposed to going with this mod.

Howdy folks,

I'm a soon-to-be Bull owner who put the wagon before the horse and started acquiring wheel-mod parts before he even had a shipping date for the Bull.

Worse, I ordered the mod parts before reading this thread completely. So guess I'll have some new parts for some other project down the road.

Can we help other blissfully ignorant folks and update the original post about the new legs coming with the Bull not being compatible with this mod at this time?

I'd like to think I am not alone in my idiocy :p

Anyway, still excited about my Bull!

is there any reason that this same mod wouldnt work with the 590? seems like it should
Was the question ever answered? Can this mod be done on the Stampede? Are the Stampede legs being modified as well?

I see a simple work around for everything on the new style legs except for the fact the legs aren't straight.

I have a new style 700, so I have to go with the information given on the old style.

On the old the larger casters bolted on by a bolt all the way through the leg. So when you drilled those holes out to accept a 5/8" axle you made the old wheels unusable on those legs.

On the new style legs, cut the threaded exterior portion off flush with leg. Drill out hole to your 5/8" (11/16" ?) the weld will be gone when you have drilled your holes.
If there is weld inside the leg holding the spacer in, it's only on the bottom. No way to access top of spacer to weld.
The tricky part is you don't have pilot hole on the opposite side of the leg. Measure measure measure.

Now, the leg cant. I don't know if you can purchase an axle sleeve to match that angle so the inside of your wheel hub isn't constantly digging into the leg.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back