How to reach 500*?

cjrazus1

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I all, so yesterday I set my smoker to 500 and after 60-70 minutes the smoker only reached 410. I was burning cookin pellets ultimate blend and the weather was 63* not too windy. Do I need to adjust the feed rate?
Thanks

Unless you turned it down from factory setting I would call Rectec customer service.

Last edited:
Feed rate and some pellets do burn a little hotter than others. Yesterday i reversed seared steaks and went from 225 to about 465 in less than 20 mins. Because of my flame out issue i had (posted in another thread) i was running way late on when food was supposed to be done so i went ahead and started sear at that lower temp. It was 35 degrees here and windy. I am confident we would of gotten to 500 in more time.

I haven’t messed with any settings since I got it last Sept. I will do more research or call customer service. Thanks guys

Feed rate only affects how LOW your temp can go without burning out, or if you are having wild temp swings (high then low then high etc). It has zero bearing on how fast you get to temp.

Make sure your rtd temp sensor probe is at least 1/2" away from the side wall of the cooker. Also make sure you do not have any foil hanging over the edges of the drip pan. If that doesn't work, call RecTec CS.

I all, so yesterday I set my smoker to 500 and after 60-70 minutes the smoker only reached 410. I was burning cookin pellets ultimate blend and the weather was 63* not too windy. Do I need to adjust the feed rate?
Thanks
I had a similar issue and called RecTec, they had me put foil by the temp probe.
A69E326C-2ADB-4AC1-84E8-7207CBCA9E3F.jpeg

Did the foil help Ken?
I don't try to sear on a pellet grill just because I know going above 400 is a bit tough for them.
The one time I tried to go 500 I too hit a stall and couldn't get past 420 or so.
Maybe I will try again and see.

Last time I seared steaks, it took about 30 minutes to get to 500. It always seems to struggle to get over 500, so I think I need to try this too. Thanks!

If you cant hit 500 in 30 I think that's all you can ask. But worth a try.
Interesting that just blocking a few inches of the probe with the foil it would make that big
a difference.
My original Traeger (B-075) had the probe horizontal closer to the top and then did the vertical mod years later.
I wonder if that was for accuracy or so people didn't slam their hand into it while cleaning.

Yes - I get to about 530 in 30-40 minutes
I was searing steaks last week with my searing grates. Went up to about 525 before I put them on for 3 minutes each side. I live in central California. Weather was about 50 degrees at the time.

This is honestly one of the reason's i love the stampede as a smoker but really don't use it for anything over 400 because it takes so much time to get it there. It's great for holding low and slow but honestly for medium to high heat it's better to have an additional grill. I like having the Rec Tec in addition to a Kamado Joe so you have the best of both worlds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back