Bull I'm "OFFICIALLY" an owner of a BULL RT-700 WOOD PELLET GRILL!!!

SmokeShow

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Early this morning I get a call from Estes saying they were about 15 minutes out from my house with a delivery. Sure enough up pulls an Estes truck! The driver gets out a pallet jack and unloads 280lbs of Rec Tec goodness!

Then I was tasked how to solo this near 300lb box from my garage to my back patio. All I could come up with was a tiny dolly.

Slow and steady was able to manage the Bull all the way to the back patio. I figured minimizing the amount of movement post assembly would be best. I unboxed it all and couldn't resist a photo session :D The Bull was peeking out of the box ready to bust out!

Let me tell you, this grill is excellently packaged. Corrugated cardboard protecting against bumps, plastic covering everything to prevent scratches, Styrofoam making sure things don't move around. Major protection! Kudos Rec Tec. I had remembered watching an assembly video of the Bull on YouTube and fired that up and went step by step with the video. Everything was just as in the video except one part, bolting up the PID controller/side table. I had some extra bolts in the side of the Bull doing nothing really. They weren't holding anything on or in place. Just a nut and a bolt. I unscrewed these and ended up not using them as the hardware kit has enough bolts that also have flat washers and locking washers. You can see in the first picture the two bolts and then on the second picture the locations of the 4 necessary bolt holes to hold the controller/side table in place. Either way, no big deal and breezed through this step.

After getting the legs, bottom shelf, controller/table, pull bar, and bull horns on I was able to muscle the Bull up onto the legs. I thought it would be rather challenging since the packing slip lists it at 280lbs. Well the other hardware that comes with this grill is also very beefy! I mean really really well built. The heat deflector, large drip tray, even the grates themselves have some good weight to them. So with all that out of the grill it weighs quite a bit less. Next came time to attach the smoke stack. Just two bolts there and wallah!

Last was putting the inside together. I placed the deflector in. Next I took the drip pan inside and wrapped in with foil, per the video being careful not to go over on the sides. I didn't want to prevent the airflow. Lining it is super easy. There is a raised lip on the sides that you can lay your foil right up against to ensure a nice straight line. It took me two strips of foil as it's so wide! Then I cleaned the surface grates with some soap and water in the sink and dried them off. I put the wrapped drip pan in followed by the freshly cleaned surface grates. Now it looked like a proper grill!!

So out with the old and in with the new! The Rec Tec is replacing a grill I bought 5 years ago from Lowe's. A Charbroil gas grill I found on sale super cheap for Memorial Day sale I believe. It flares up quite a bit and really chars food if not watched like a hawk. It has set itself on fire a time or two while being unattended. I sure won't miss it! The grilled food that did come off of it was OK though. And before that Lowe's grill I had a gas grill I got for free that someone was throwing out because the push button igniter wouldn't light anymore. I feel like I"m moving up in the world lol! I'm hoping this Rec Tec with the sear kit will allow me to completely replace this old grill. The upgrade in overall space is also a plus!

That's about it for now. Time to run up to Rural King and pick up some pellets and get the burn in done! Will have more feedback once that's done and will get a smoke going this weekend! So pumped!

Last edited:
First cook is done! It was awesome! I ended up with two bags of Lumberjack Competition Blend pellets. I dumped a handful or two into the fire pot and started it up for the burn in. I dumped the remainder of the bag into the hopper. After that I connected the grill to my wifi using the Rec Tec app. I didn't play with the app too much other than to monitor the temperatures of the grill and the probe in the meat. Which brings me to my first observation. I noticed on my probe that my temp bounced around, alot. I was targeting an internal temp of 125 and watched it climb up to 122. I was getting a tray ready to pull the meat only to find the temp from the probe drop all the way to 109! I thought maybe it fell out a bit. I stayed strong and didn't lift the lid and waited. Slowly it crept back up but only to fall back down again. I tried increasing the set point towards the end where I thought it should be to temp by now. It then rose all the way to 124! But then back down to 115. It never got to my 125 target. I ended up pulling the sirloin out and resting it and cranking the grill up to full with the searing kit on. Once to around 500 I put the sirloin back on for 3 minutes a side, quarter turning half way through the 3 minutes to create that cross sear marking. It was delicious!! Can anyone comment on why the probe temp bounced around so much? The probe did not fall out of the meat. It was pushed right into the middle of the meat the whole time. Anyway, here are a few pics of the cook.

Beautiful first cook @SmokeShow. Seeing pictures of a new RecTec Bull brings me back to the day I first received my Bull - I was like a kid in a candy shop.

Love these pellet grills!

You mentioned the meat probes was acting a little wonky, a good place to start would be to check out How to calibrate meat probes or thermometer.

If you're still having issues you might want to reach out to RecTec Support.

I will look into the calibration. I was so excited to have the grill assembled and ready to go I skipped the calibration. And I actually threw a shoulder on it this morning lol. I'll check the calibration after this cook. I did use both probes this time. I'll watch them to see if they're both doing the same thing.

Funny just a little over 30 minutes from posting about this probe issue I get a delivery from USPS. I ordered a thermometer from ThermoWorks the other day to go with the new grill and it showed up! They even threw in a pack of Jelly Beans lol! I'll compare my Rec Tec probes to this when I go to pull the shoulder today.

SmokeShow I could be wrong but I don't think you want to use your probes in pit temperatures over 400 . You might find same holds true for thermoworks like on the Smoke if you ever get one . With RecTec not needed , I have two for my Kamados and never use them on high heat cooks.

I wasn’t using the probes when I was searing. Only during the initial smoke.

SmokeShow I could be wrong but I don't think you want to use your probes in pit temperatures over 400 . You might find same holds true for thermoworks like on the Smoke if you ever get one . With RecTec not needed , I have two for my Kamados and never use them on high heat cooks.
The Pro series probes from Thermoworks, like are used on the DOT, Smoke, and Signals, are rated to 700 degrees on the cable. Probe tips are rated up to about 570 degrees. Should be fine on just about anything you can throw at them short of literally immersing them in fire

BTW, I love my Smoke, Wifi Gateway, and Thermapen Mk4 :)

I looked at the Thermapen Mk4. That was a pricey piece of equipment! Maybe down the road. It did look very nice though. I've used the Thermopop on a few cooks now and I don't have any bad things to say about it. It reads quickly (3 seconds maybe), it's easy to wipe off and put away, and it's accurate. I used it against the Rec Tec probes to calibrate and everything was dead on. I used the cup of ice water method to test and they all read 32.

The Pro series probes from Thermoworks, like are used on the DOT, Smoke, and Signals, are rated to 700 degrees on the cable. Probe tips are rated up to about 570 degrees. Should be fine on just about anything you can throw at them short of literally immersing them in fire

BTW, I love my Smoke, Wifi Gateway, and Thermapen Mk4 :)

Man oh man, I've been looking at the Signals. It's a huge price tag, but I'm considering it. The only thing holding me back (other than the price) is if I can have it set to use 2 pit probes and 2 meat probes instead of 1 pit probe and 3 meat probes.

Specifically, I want to see what the temp on the left side of the grate is (usually the cooler zone) and what the temp on the right side of the grate is (usually the hotter zone).

Man oh man, I've been looking at the Signals. It's a huge price tag, but I'm considering it. The only thing holding me back (other than the price) is if I can have it set to use 2 pit probes and 2 meat probes instead of 1 pit probe and 3 meat probes.

Specifically, I want to see what the temp on the left side of the grate is (usually the cooler zone) and what the temp on the right side of the grate is (usually the hotter zone).

I'm a big fan of Thermoworks products, have a Smoke, Time Stack, Chef Alarm and Mk4. And they had a blast email today putting the Signals on sale which is tempting. That all being said, the Fireboard is a very strong competitor, especially with 6 channel capability. With the full set of probe/cables it hits $250 though. Despite that, if you need that many measurement options, it's probably the go to product as the market looks today. As for using the Signals with two grate probes it looks like the box doesn't care which receptacle you utilize for that function. The only question then becomes whether it is necessary to use the short probe only and the need to therefore buy an extra. One of the members here has used the "meat probe" on his smoke to measure grate area temp and been successful, so it might be fine on the Signals as well.

If you need two pit probes, I don't see a reason you couldn't do that on the Signals. On my Smoke it doesn't care what is plugged in where as long as they are the Pro series. Signals at 194 seems like a steal considering that the Smoke plus the Wifi gateway is $188. Since it only comes with one pit probe, you'd have to buy another. They're $18 but they're constantly having 15% off sales. I did that when I wanted a shorter meat probe.

Get on their mailing lists. They run all sorts of sales on all of their products. That includes "open box" stuff which is how I got my Smoke and it was basically brand new. They also run sales on the Thermapen and Mk4, sometimes on "overstock" colors for a significant discount. That's how I got my Mk4 because apparently grey wasn't selling ? Like I care what color my thermometer is. I think the original Thermapen was recently on sale for somewhere around $50

Boy, I sound like a shill, but really I'm just an enthusiast that likes their products :D

Congrats on the new smoking tool (RT-700)! I would check the nuts on the probe sockets for looseness. They need to be tight. I would also calibrate both probes using the ice water method. I have done both on mine. This week I am celebrating my one year anniversary with the Bull. The probes have been working flawlessly after this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back