Initial burn-in and season questions

Whitey

I'm expecting my the Bull to be dropped off tomorrow so hopefully I'll have it put together and can do the initial burn in by the end of the day. I'm planning on doing the wheel mod discussed here as I put it together.

Question: after the initial burn-in at 400 degrees for an hour, should I season the grill? With another, much cheaper, charcoal/wood chunk smoker I've sprayed the cooking chamber with pam and let that cook-in.

The video from rec-tec just shows them cooking a pound of bacon in it, but doesn't provide many details. Is that all that needs to be done? Any suggested temps/time?

Anything else a new owner should remember to do on the initial setup and cook?

Personally I don't see any benefit from forcing seasoning. Most things you'll likely cook will have sufficient fat to season as you go. Your cleaning habits will then be the controlling factor going forward. Each person will have their own opinions and experiences, so you may get more good advice than will be of particular value. If you've done any kind of bbq in the past just jump in with your historical method, observe, and adjust as necessary. Based on comments most folks seem to start with racks of ribs, either spare or back. Fairly easy, gratifying...………..and tasty!

I didn't season after the burn-in. After a few cooks it starts to season itself. I think it'll be just fine, my 2 cents.

Sounds good. I got her built and have done the burn in, but I haven't had a chance to cook anything yet. If I don't get some burgers on it today or tomorrow then there's a pork shoulder going in there on Saturday no matter what. Can't wait!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back