Is the sear kit worth it?

This is just my opinion, but it really depends on how you plan to use your RT. If it is your only grill, I would say yes, it will allow you to use it for searing and grilling steaks, burgers, etc. If you have a different high heat grill, then maybe a nice to have but not really worth it to me. I have a weber gaser that I use for high heat, but the grill grates/sear kit came with the package I purchased. i have used it a few times and like it, but I would not have purchased it separately.

Then, yes I would get the sear kit. Welcome the forum and congrats on the new RT. It is really a great product and I have truly enjoyed mine.

Welcome and congrats on the new Bull. The sear kit is another tool to make these grills function just a little bit better. If the bull is going to be your primary grill I would recommend getting it, I've used it on the Bull and it does work. Generally due to time I use a small Weber gasser for burgers, hot dogs, kielbasa ect and for searing steaks after coming off the my Bull.

Last edited:
My Bull is my only grill and I use the sear grates constantly for burgers and steaks.

Hello and congrats on the new Bull. I use the sear grates for sure with burgers but always looking for other ways to use them. I have a Weber kettle and we only light it when the kid wants s’mores.

I couldn't justify getting the sear grates. A pellet grill is nothing more than a smoke filled oven.. Sear grates may put sear marks on the food but don't do much else. They don't make the grill any hotter. I would have less criticism if they called them sear mark grates. The don't sear anything other than you wallet.

I got my grates when I got the Bull. They are good, and do sear but there is a wait until they heat up Mine have only gotten to 530ish. good sear marks. I have BGE that heats to over 900 degrees, thats a sear mark. The bull is great at any things and really good at others. Searing is really good. Welcome to the forum. A lot of smart people with good info to share. ??

I have had the grill grates for several years now and typically use just two of the plates. I set them on the regular grates. Great on the flat side for pizza and small items if you don't have a mat. I do have a gasser but if I'm cooking other high temp items in my Rec Tec I may use them for steaks or burgers.

I have the bull and purchased the grill grates and they work great for me. I understand your hesitation I had to remind myself of how much I like them to get a set for the bullseye beta. I made smash burgers on it this weekend and the crust was amazing. I would be happy to send pics if you need a nudge. :)

This is just my opinion, but it really depends on how you plan to use your RT. If it is your only grill, I would say yes, it will allow you to use it for searing and grilling steaks, burgers, etc. If you have a different high heat grill, then maybe a nice to have but not really worth it to me. I have a weber gaser that I use for high heat, but the grill grates/sear kit came with the package I purchased. i have used it a few times and like it, but I would not have purchased it separately.
The same reply I would've had. I actually cut the corners off of my GrillGrates from my RT-700 so they would fit on my Bullseye. The GrillGrates did work well on the RT-700 when I only had that grill. I no longer use the RT-700 for high heat cooks with the Bullseye on board now.

When I was looking into getting a Rec Tec Grill, I asked two friends of mine that already have Rec Tec Grills about what should I get with it and they both said the sear kit. I'm glad I have mine. :)

Just bought a Bull over the weekend and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I'm curious what folks think about the sear kit. Is it really worth it?
I ordered the sear kit when I bought a 590 back in November. This is my only grill, so it needs to be versatile. I have become a fan of reverse searing, and frequently use the sear plates. There is no question that I would buy them again, if I had to do it over.

I like my sear grates so much i bought a set for my weber kettle too. I think they do add to it. There are a lot of things i put on there that i think are great. Burgers for sure. When i use the RecTec for that i use them upside down. I find grates alone can be risky if not packed tight enough. I also use them for bacon. My family has almost given up on my griddle for bacon. The smoky flavor with less grease from the rectec with sear grates is a real winner for them. I used to use mats for that...I just don't love the mats.

I respect the point above about sear "mark" grates. But i will admit, there is value in that too. Sure we can say nice to have. But if you entertain and you bring steaks off that look like my profile pick the meal will start with "Wow" coming from your guests mouths before they even take a bite. And without searing you do sometimes end up with a grey or dull like color and does not illicit that reaction. How much value to put on that? Very subjective for sure. So i respect the post where the answer is none. For me, there is a lot of value in that.

One final note... i think i will do an experiment on temps. Although the ambient temp is, in fact, the same as posted above. I think the surface temp is a little higher (i will guess as much as 50+ degrees) on the surface of sear grates versus regular rectec grates. If i recall when i purchased them there were a bunch of warnings about this fact... e.g. if your ambient temp is 600 warning your sear grate temp will be 700... etc. So, there is also value where you need more surface temp.

@spartanhuntr I tried doing bacon on mine and while the bacon turned out great, I ended up with a ton of grease in the bottom that went on the rails. Do you turn yours sideways?

Upside down. Grates down it obviously causes some flare ups, but i haven't had much of an issue of resting grease and it is good for the grates. In the smoker another option is the grill mats. As stated, i don't love grill mats. they just seem yucky to me as they appear to rust. I use them for wings and things like baked potatoes and occasionally very thick cut bacon, but not my favorite way to do it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back