Bull Just bought the RT700!

bwelle

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I've been putting it off for a long time, but our propane grill at home is finally starting to go out, so I decided to make the leap and join the RECTEC family! I picked up the RT-700 and cover with the sear kit, since the wife and I do steaks at home quite a bit. She was a bit skeptical on whether or not I should get a pellet grill, but I think she'll be singing a different tune after a couple of smokes. :)

Any suggestions on what to break the seal with? I was thinking about getting a nice brisket or maybe a couple racks of ribs. Can't wait to get it all setup!

Congratulations you'll enjoy it.
I'd just do a porkbutt or even just some bacon to season it in... But really it's up to you. There's a little bit of a learning curve for the pellet grill. Might want to save the brisket for your master-series posts...lol or just go for it!.. but post pics no matter what ya choose. Goodluck !

Congratulations you'll enjoy it.
I'd just do a porkbutt or even just some bacon to season it in... But really it's up to you. There's a little bit of a learning curve for the pellet grill. Might want to save the brisket for your master-series posts...lol or just go for it!.. but post pics no matter what ya choose. Goodluck !
Thanks for the tip! I agree, probably better off to start small with something that will help season it up. This is actually my first dive into pellet smoking, so I'm sure there will be some bumps in the road along the way.

First and foremost welcome to Rec Tec Forum @bwelle and congrats on your Rec Tec RT-700 purchase. I'm sure you and your wife are certainly going to love the grill.

I'd start with some bacon first then break it in right with a nice brisket for sure! :D

Be sure to keep us posted once you get the new pellet grill and what you think about it!

First and foremost welcome to Rec Tec Forum @bwelle and congrats on your Rec Tec RT-700 purchase. I'm sure you and your wife are certainly going to love the grill.

I'd start with some bacon first then break it in right with a nice brisket for sure! :D

Be sure to keep us posted once you get the new pellet grill and what you think about it!
Thanks for the warm welcome, Mike! Will I need grill mats for the bacon? I don't believe I ordered any with the RT700. I'm sure I can find a suitable replacement around the house, though. :)

Last edited:
Welcome from SC! You will not regret your purchase. Agree with Buckeye, bacon and butt for break in.

Welcome Bwelle! I have had mine for about a month or so now. Very happy with my Bull and this is a great forum with many fine people. Good food and fine people! You can't beat that combo!

Thank you for the welcome and kind words, Blues1 & Brian Vallotton! Looking forward to being a part of this community, seems to have some very kind and knowledgeable folks

Welcome. You made a great choice for your 1st pellet grille. This is a great forum with many people willing to lend there experience. Enjoy your Rec Tec it’s worth the hype

Thank you for the welcome and kind words, Blues1 & Brian Vallotton! Looking forward to being a part of this community, seems to have some very kind and knowledgeable folks

Good folks here...

Thanks for the warm welcome, Mike! Will I need grill mats for the bacon? I don't believe I ordered any with the RT700. I'm sure I can find a suitable replacement around the house, though. :)
Grill mats will certainly make cooking bacon easier or you could just put it on a flat pan or even a cast iron skillet.

Grill mats will certainly make cooking bacon easier or you could just put it on a flat pan or even a cast iron skillet.
Awesome, thanks for the tip! Have a nice Lodge cast iron that should do the trick.

You can cook bacon directly on the cooking grates. No need for other equipment but go with what makes you comfortable. I buy thick cut bacon (holds together better) and just follow the instructions on the package for oven cooking. It's usually something like 400°F for 15~20 mins. And get ready for a bunch of grease in the bucket. Enjoy!

You can cook bacon directly on the cooking grates. No need for other equipment but go with what makes you comfortable. I buy thick cut bacon (holds together better) and just follow the instructions on the package for oven cooking. It's usually something like 400°F for 15~20 mins. And get ready for a bunch of grease in the bucket. Enjoy!
Thank you so much for the advice! Can't wait to get started, already have a big pack of bacon ready to hit the smoker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back