Stampede Let's jerky

GKGrill

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Happy new year everyone!

I made some jerky today using a London broil. Threw it in some marinade overnight. My first mistake was leaving it in the pit too long. I dried it out a bit too much. I'll keep a better eye on it next time. I also found that the smoke flavor was a bit too intense (I did cook it on extreme smoke 180). I'm also thinking perhaps my marinade was not good for this application. It's my go to for steak, but just doesn't do it for me here.

I wanted to use this thread to gain some tips from some of you more experienced jerky makers. What have you found to be the best cut of meat to use? Temps to dehydrate at? Time in smoker that you've found to work best. Let's share some recipes and marinades that you like.

Here's the marinade I used:
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
4 tsp honey
2 tsp olive oil
3 crushed cloves garlic

Cheers

Though i have thought about it i have only ever made jerky in a dehydrator. The wife is leaving to go out of town soon for a while (no shes not going to jail lol), so ill have more time to play. What i need to do i make some in the smart oven to get the idea of heat and timing then take that knowledge outside. Looking forward to see what other have and will report back when i have more valuable data.

Last edited:
I'm not experienced, but my jerky is in high demand at work and home so I must be doing something right.

This is a lightly modified version of a recipe I got from Grilla Grills:

Per 2 pounds Eye of Round roast

2 TBSP Ziyad Extra Hot Chili Powder
1 TBSP Black Pepper
1 TBSP Garlic Powder
1 TBSP Onion Powder
1 TBSP BBQ Rub (I use Three Little Pigs KC Championship)
1/4 Cup Worcetershire Sauce
1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Honey (optional)

This is a fairly hot recipe, a bit sweet with a slow but strong heat that's pretty unique. For extra hot add 2 TBSP Sriracha. You won't taste the Sriracha flavor, but you will feel the heat. I wouldn't try this first unless you have a high tolerance for heat. For mild, use standard chili powder instead of the Ziyad.

Remove excess fat and any silverskin from Eye of Round. Cut into 1/4" thick strips, cutting against the grain for tender jerky (my preference), or with the grain for tougher. Combine marinade ingredients in gallon ziplock bag and add meat so the bag lays as flat as possible and mix well. Marinate for at least 8 hours in the refrigerator, flipping bag at least once midway. I usually marinate about 18 hours.

Place strips on mesh grill mats and smoke at 180 for 30 minutes to 1 hour, then increase heat to 200, 2-3.5 hours total, drying to preference.

Last edited:
Here is the original recipe, the Ziyad chili powder was a mistake the first time I made it but it turned out well and adds a good kick.

I tried their bourbon recipe and it was good too, but I prefer my modified "basic" recipe.

I'm not experienced, but my jerky is in high demand at work and home so I must be doing something right.

1 TBSP Black Pepper
1 TBSP Garlic Powder
1 TBSP Onion Powder
1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Honey (optional)

This is a fairly hot recipe, a bit sweet with a slow but strong heat that's pretty unique. For extra hot add 1 TBSP Sriracha. You won't taste the Sriracha flavor, but you will feel the heat. I wouldn't try this first unless you have a high tolerance for heat. For mild, use standard chili powder instead of the Ziyad.

Remove excess fat and any silverskin from Eye of Round. Cut into 1/4" thick strips, cutting against the grain for tender jerky (my preference), or with the grain for tougher. Combine marinade ingredients in gallon ziplock bag and add meat so the bag lays as flat as possible and mix well. Marinate for at least 8 hours in the refrigerator, flipping bag at least once midway. I usually marinate about 18 hours.

Place strips on mesh grill mats and smoke at 180 for 30 minutes to 1 hour, then increase heat to 200 for another 2-3 hours, drying to preference.
I'll have to give this a try!

wanted to use this thread to gain some tips from some of you more experienced jerky makers. What have you found to be the best cut of meat to use? Temps to dehydrate at? Time in smoker that you've found to work best. Let's share some recipes and marinades that you like.
https://www.jerkyholic.com

1 TBSP Black Pepper
1 TBSP Garlic Powder
1 TBSP Onion Powder
1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Honey (optional)

This is a fairly hot recipe, a bit sweet with a slow but strong heat that's pretty unique. For extra hot add 2 TBSP Sriracha. You won't taste the Sriracha flavor, but you will feel the heat. I wouldn't try this first unless you have a high tolerance for heat. For mild, use standard chili powder instead of the Ziyad.

Place strips on mesh grill mats and smoke at 180 for 30 minutes to 1 hour, then increase heat to 200 for another 2-3 hours, drying to preference.
Thanks. That looks really good. I’m going to give that a try.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HunterC
Back