Bull Long time to reach searing temp - any advice?

marcusgee

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
New guy here! I’ve had my Bull for a few weeks and have done some pretty amazing ribs, chicken and turkey breast on it so far. Recently, though, I picked up some grill grates to do some reverse searing. I tried it with a couple of sirloin steaks that came out absolutely AMAZING—but the kicker was how long it took to go from my smoking temp of 225 up to a searing temp of 450. I had to set aside the steaks and keep them warm while the Bull took almost an hour to reach temperature.

Any advice on how to speed that up? Reading around the forums, it seems like it shouldn’t take more than 20-30 minutes to hit 450. I’m currently using Traeger hickory pellets and set the augur speed to 4, so not sure if that makes a difference!

New guy here! I’ve had my Bull for a few weeks and have done some pretty amazing ribs, chicken and turkey breast on it so far. Recently, though, I picked up some grill grates to do some reverse searing. I tried it with a couple of sirloin steaks that came out absolutely AMAZING—but the kicker was how long it took to go from my smoking temp of 225 up to a searing temp of 450. I had to set aside the steaks and keep them warm while the Bull took almost an hour to reach temperature.

Any advice on how to speed that up? Reading around the forums, it seems like it shouldn’t take more than 20-30 minutes to hit 450. I’m currently using Traeger hickory pellets and set the augur speed to 4, so not sure if that makes a difference!
I had the same issue. Check out the thread on the 3 RPM auger motor. The stock auger motor is 2 RPM. Mine will go from 225 to 450 in about 13 minutes with the 3 RPM motor. Another trick is to set the grill for 500 degrees so it won't slow down as it nears 450 degrees.

Last edited:
I had the same issue. Check out the thread on the 3 RPM auger motor. The stock auger motor is 2 RPM. Mine will go from 225 to 450 in about 13 minutes with the 3 RPM motor. Another trick is to set the grill for 500 degrees so it won't slow down as it nears 450 degrees.
Sweet! Not bad for fifty bucks, either. I checked out some videos and swapping looks pretty easy—will give that a try. Thanks for the tip!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobondur
Back