Looking to try different brands of pellets

Hey thanks to everyone who responded to my post here........especially since it's probably been answered NUMEROUS times in other threads. I appreciate it!

Perhaps we should get a generic "Great pellet buys or deals" thread started to help out everyone here in this forum?

Folks could post as soon as they see or buy pellets that are a great deal......help each other out, you know? I'd definitely be into that! :D

I just pick up some Bear Mountain gourmet blend in a pretty good sale. For the price I figured worth a try. If I don't like them I can mix them in with the RT pellets I have.

The Bear Mountain Pellets came today that I decided to try on a whim... I haven't cooked with them yet, but I kept my Pellets in 5gallon buckets with airtight screw on lids. I can tell you so far that the BM pellets are bigger in diameter and have a stronger smell. Not sure if that is because the LJ's are 2weeks old but, you definitely smell it. And see the size difference.
IMG_20200514_141806.jpg

If I buy 4 bags @ cookinpellets for $88, shipping is another $134.80, or $55.70 a bag total. $40 from Amazon with free shipping doesn't look too bad from my house in MA.

Got Lumber Jack locally for $11 for 20 lbs. yesterday.
If there’s a Rual King close by you, they have 20# bags of LJ for $8.88

I just found some Traeger apple pellets on sale at our local Big R. I mixed half a bag with the remaining (about a half hopper) rec tec, and did a fatty and then ABT's. They came out fantastic. Could tell a difference in the smoke. Probably be my blend from now on. I did notice a little more ash, but it could be because of a long smoke.

If you're looking to put some zing in your beef or lamb, try mesquite. It's a very strong, spicy flavor. Look for 100% mesquite. Most of it you find is a blend of less than 50% mesquite. If you have 100% mesquite, you can quickly and easily make your own blends and ratios to suit each cook.

Another great wood is cherry. I use cherry with fish, chicken and pork. Again, find 100% cherry which allows you to blend.

If you're looking to put some zing in your beef or lamb, try mesquite. It's a very strong, spicy flavor. Look for 100% mesquite. Most of it you find is a blend of less than 50% mesquite. If you have 100% mesquite, you can quickly and easily make your own blends and ratios to suit each cook.

Another great wood is cherry. I use cherry with fish, chicken and pork. Again, find 100% cherry which allows you to blend.
I have a Lumberjack dealer pretty close that I put a 320 lb order in with, of mostly 100% wood varietals. Mesquite, Cherry in 40 lb bags, Apple, (20 lb bags), along with some blends, Pecan etc. that's still about 2-3 weeks out from coming in. I'm definitely interested blending my own pellets to taste. At $19.99 for the 40 lb bags and $11.99 for the 20 lb bags plus tax and no shipping costs because I was lucky enough to ride in on the dealers stock order I just could not pass up that deal.

I called Westfield Feed myself yesterday and they didn't have much LJ left......you must of cleaned them out! :D

Just talked to the store, they tell me LJ is backordered, the LJ rep told him 4-6 weeks lead time, from 2 weeks ago. Everyone seems to be buying and using pellet grills due to the flu.

Just talked to the store, they tell me LJ is backordered, the LJ rep told him 4-6 weeks lead time, from 2 weeks ago. Everyone seems to be buying and using pellet grills due to the flu.

... meat shortages, now pellet shortages... what's next? Beer shortages?:eek:

Yep, I got in on that order you're referring to after I read your post. I wasn't even aware they were a LJ dealer. It was placed 2 weeks ago so, 2-4 more weeks I guess. It is what it is alright. Mike from Westfield Feed is a great guy to do business with.

If you don't mind, and think of it, If he gives you a call when the order comes in post a note here so I know they got stock in.

If you don't mind, and think of it, If he gives you a call when the order comes in post a note here so I know they got stock in.
Yeah, I'll hook you up and let you know when he calls me. I'll post here for the rest of the CT and Western MA members of this forum to get in on the delivery too if their interested. If everything works out smoothly with Mike from Westfield Feed I'll be buying from him moving forward after I make sure I like LJ pellets and which varieties, from all the positive reviews here about them I'm not concerned at all. I'll buy a half ton worth from him so I don't have to go every month or two.

... meat shortages, now pellet shortages... what's next? Beer shortages?:eek:
Stop it.....that's real crazy talk right there! ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back