Bull Making my 1st full cut brisket

SafetyDan

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. RT-680
I have never smoked a brisket, but this is one its way.

Start probe testing for tender in the mid 190s in several locations on the flat, you might be surprised that you don't need to go to 203...……….each piece of meat is different.

Start probe testing for tender in the mid 190s in several locations on the flat, you might be surprised that you don't need to go to 203...……….each piece of meat is different.

Heck It is still at 168. I am seriously doubting that is it going to get any better. I just pulled the paper and wrapped it in foil, Bark be damned!

Last edited:
Heck It is still at 168. I am seriously doubting that is it going to get any better. I just pulled the paper and wrapped it in foil, Bark be damned!

Just broke 190. Been cooking at 230 degrees since 0700

@SafetyDan I feel your pain, been there, done that. Because of the quirkiness of brisket (that I've found) having its own "I'll be done when I'm ready to be done" personality, I now start all my briskets the night before and let it go overnight. Once it's done I can safely wrap that sucker (foil around butcher paper) and in towels, then into a cooler for 4+ hours and it's ready to go when I need it to be. What time did it end up being done?

Check your grill temp, the first one i did on the 700 took about 8 hours longer than it should have. RTD showed 225, afterwards i tested actually dead center temp and it was about 35 degrees low (this now explained the added time). Once i got that resolved, no unexpected issues.

Check your grill temp, the first one i did on the 700 took about 8 hours longer than it should have. RTD showed 225, afterwards i tested actually dead center temp and it was about 35 degrees low (this now explained the added time). Once i got that resolved, no unexpected issues.

How did you resolve for this? Did you just increase your set temp or just accepted the added time as the new normal?

You just have to calibrate the RTD to temp you want, where you want it. Most of the time i cook dead center so i calibrated to center knowing its going to be off a bit other places. Not supposed to be but it is and thats just life. You calibrate via the controller software using either the built in probes (if you have calibrated and trust those) or an external probe / sensor.

Doesn’t get any better than this!

Attachments

• BAFB2EC6-30D2-41ED-B067-CE03F36486B4.jpeg
    BAFB2EC6-30D2-41ED-B067-CE03F36486B4.jpeg
    780 KB · Views: 102

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back