Man (or woman) cannot live by smoke alone..................

Uncle Bob

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I know we're all about the smoking capabilities of our beloved RT devices, even when we crank up the heat and diminish the smoke aspect for the most part. Outdoor cooking is more than just smoking/searing/whichever.

My bride and I acquired an appreciation years ago for more authentic Chinese food, i.e. no almond chicken, sweet and sour pork, or chop suey. A grouping of the dishes that most appealed to me were ones with "pan fried" (actually wok) noodles. If you find a Chinese restaurant that can and will make it as we see fit it's a rarity. I suspect that the proprietors don't believe western tastes will accommodate the texture/flavor/presentation. Sigh. What makes this dish so difficult to reproduce in a typical home environment is that it takes some serious heat to get the cooking vessel hot enough to do the job in a satisfactory way. I've mentioned in another thread that I have a variety of other outdoor cooking devices beside the RT and each serves a purpose. One of the more versatile pieces of kit I have is a four burner stove made by Camp Chef. It's most notable feature is four, 30k btu burners. I absolutely love this device, it does so many things well that are outside the capabilities of the RT smoker/grill. I do all my deep frying on it now, as well as the wok cooking. Biggest benefit besides the out come of the cook? All the strong odors from, primarily cooking oil at high temp, are kept outside. The high btu output comes close to commercial kitchen outcomes. So, for those of you who might seek to expand your capabilities in food prep at home I offer up this sequence of pics to inspire as I make a Chinese style fried noodle dish with a variety of vegetables and, in this one, some chicken (though I've done pork and beef as well). BTW, notice in the one pic I'm wearing my RT T-shirt...…………….so, we're not completely off topic here...…………:)
fried noodle 01.JPG
fried noodle 03.JPG
fried noodle 07.JPG
fried noodle 09.JPG

That really looks great....oh yeah and the food looks good too...LOL Seriously though I am a wee bit jealous to your outdoor cooking area sir....it is flat out awesome! My wife and I love a wide variety of ethnic cuisine so I am always looking to expand my cooking knowledge and an outdoor burner setup like yours is definitely on my wants list!
As always very classy setup sir!

If anyone has the space and interest it's difficult to not be enthrall with this unit. As a value proposition it is a home run...………….$300 delivered……….some assembly required. If you read online reviews the bulk of the one or two star ones complain about poor packaging and/or missing parts as a result of damaged packaging. Those are legitimate complaints as the carton on mine was in tough shape and I had the UPS delivery guy note that on his handheld. I did have to do some repair to the leg attachments that were bent, but I have the tools and experience to do that so it wasn't a big disappointment to me. One of the ignitors was defective as well, but CC replaced that immediately under warrantee. For all that it can do and the quality and performance of the hardware it's a steal of a value.

It’s the FTG600, which I believe is cold rolled steel.

Ah, good. You got the four burner model with the grill under the griddle, another multi-tasker. That has the linear, tube style burners rather than the banjo burners so the heat distribution should be somewhat more even, though there will be hot spots and cooler zones, but those are each useful when you learn to utilize them appropriately. Enjoy.......

Agreed and love gadgets but our home stove does this quite well and the kamado also puts out serious heat when i need it too. Love the pics though and nicely said.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back