Maple pecan spatchcock turkey recipe

Sgravess

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Planning on doing the maple pecan spatchcock turkey for thanksgiving this year on my Bull.
Watched the youtube video from Rec Tec.
I noticed he didn't mention bringing the bird.
Wondering what everyone's opinion is on that, also was thinking of cooking it lower at 225 to get more smoke or should i just follow the recipe as is.
Thoughts

Never hurts to follow a tried and true recipe the first time or if you can buy two 6 lb whole birds, brine one and for the other one follow the recipe to a T. Decide on which you like best.

I think that was a good idea to brine one and not the other so you know which you like better. I can tell you from experience , that the skin will be chewy or rubberish at lower temps. The meat will still taste good, but that's just a heads up. Goodluck post pics.

Planning on doing the maple pecan spatchcock turkey for thanksgiving this year on my Bull.
Watched the youtube video from Rec Tec.
I noticed he didn't mention bringing the bird.
Wondering what everyone's opinion is on that, also was thinking of cooking it lower at 225 to get more smoke or should i just follow the recipe as is.
Thoughts
I am doing this exactly like the recipe, only using freshly harvested pecans.

If your going to cook your turkey at 225, when it hits about 125-130 internal, crank it to 350 for the rest of the cook and you will get a nice crispy skinned bird. Also, I would do a dry brine, (salt the bird and put it in a bag overnight,,, then rinse it before you season and put it on the grill... you will get the juiciest breast meat you ever had.

Looking forward to see how you smoke goes!
Greg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back