Memorial Day Observance

Master Blaster

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
With Memorial day almost upon us I wanted to clarify a little confusion that some people seem to have every single year in regards to what this day actually means.

Memorial day is a very important if not the most important day to me of the entire year. It is a day set aside to honor our fallen men and women who have paid the ultimate price with their lives in service of this great Nation of ours. Although thanking a current Veteran is a great thing to say and very welcome to most Vets that's NOT what Memorial day is about. Veterans day is in November that's the day that's set aside for the Vets who are still ALIVE.

Also, while I'm on the subject I'd like to point out that lives lost in Combat engagements that we've been involved in around the world is obvious. What's not so obvious is that lives are lost in non-combat related accidents and incidents on regular basis wherever our personnel are say in training exercises, etc. Which may not get the same press as a horrific firefight in Afghanistan but as far as I can tell Dead is Dead to the families and friends of those service members.

Most everyone knows someone who has lost loved ones and or friends in the military at some point. So, while everyone is doing whatever it is that you do for Memorial day please just actually take a moment to honor the fallen in your own way who gave EVERYTHING for us so we can live the lives that we are able to in this great Country of ours.

AMEN!
We lift up the ones that gave all for this great country, and special prayers for the families that have lost loved ones. As said above, it is not just those lost in conflict. These brave soldiers joined knowing the risk and gave willingly for all of us.

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends."
John 15:13

A very nice and thoughtful post, thank you. I suspect that the distinction is more apparent/significant to those of us that have been in that endeavor and less obvious to those who've not been there. Focus on the fallen specifically is worthy.

A very nice and thoughtful post, thank you. I suspect that the distinction is more apparent/significant to those of us that have been in that endeavor and less obvious to those who've not been there. Focus on the fallen specifically is worthy.
It's an often misunderstood Day by many which is understandable. As you mentioned if you have no experience with it or not have been directly effected by it the true meaning of Memorial Day get's lost. Not by everybody, it's a sacred Day to me. Unfortunately it's not a happy one either, but necessary. I think about people practically everyday I've known that died during their Military service. That's all I have to say about that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back