Mod for the 40 pound pellet hopper: Split for 2 types of pellets?

Brian Vallotton

Hi guys. Just watched a video where the hopper was being opened up and the guy mentioned that he considers it like 2 20 pound hoppers. Which got me to thinking... I wonder if there is a way to mod the Bull to essentially have 2 different types of pellets and be able to slide open one side while closing off the other and vice versa? My Bull just arrived last night and I will assemble today, so I have never had my hands on one yet. Any thoughts on the subject?

Last edited:
That would be cool, but not sure how it could be done. Probably void the warranty...
I was thinking of something as simple as a piece of sheetmetal inserted no cutting or changing the chassis... but I am just thinking out loud here. I have never seen how the auger looks at the bottom, so I know that there could be an issue with not interfering with it and allowing a good pellet flow...

It would be pretty cool if you could have a selector for left side/right side hopper, and a position for "blend". Then you could have one pellet for chicken or pork, and a different one for beef. And if you were doing a long cook, you could open both sides up at once. Good idea!

It would be pretty cool if you could have a selector for left side/right side hopper, and a position for "blend". Then you could have one pellet for chicken or pork, and a different one for beef. And if you were doing a long cook, you could open both sides up at once. Good idea!
Yes, and not use software to do it! hehe! Have a dial!

That would be cool, but not sure how it could be done. Probably void the warranty...

Just a general comment about the notion of "void the warrantee", not just specific to Brian's idea here. Making a "minor" modification to a device does not give a manufacturer the opportunity to shed all his contractual obligation to honor a given warrantee. The manufacturer might have cause to not honor any warrantee action on, let's say the auger in this thread idea, but it wouldn't allow them to not honor a legitimate claim on, say, a failed wheel or hinge or whatever not related to the pellet bin mod. This is controlled by federal law. A more common example might be your automobile. Let's say you add a different radio head for added features. That modification would not exonerate the manufacturer from being responsible for warrantee promises on, say, the drive train components that are not in any way related to the radio head mods. This applies to any product you may have an interest in. Some manufacturers might try to buffalo you into believing that any minor modification would "void the warrantee" but once you demonstrate that you're an informed consumer that silliness usually stops.

Just a general comment about the notion of "void the warrantee", not just specific to Brian's idea here. Making a "minor" modification to a device does not give a manufacturer the opportunity to shed all his contractual obligation to honor a given warrantee. The manufacturer might have cause to not honor any warrantee action on, let's say the auger in this thread idea, but it wouldn't allow them to not honor a legitimate claim on, say, a failed wheel or hinge or whatever not related to the pellet bin mod. This is controlled by federal law. A more common example might be your automobile. Let's say you add a different radio head for added features. That modification would not exonerate the manufacturer from being responsible for warrantee promises on, say, the drive train components that are not in any way related to the radio head mods. This applies to any product you may have an interest in. Some manufacturers might try to buffalo you into believing that any minor modification would "void the warrantee" but once you demonstrate that you're an informed consumer that silliness usually stops.
Good words Bob. Have you ever given any thought on the hopper mod? It just seems like a great feature...

Have you ever given any thought on the hopper mod? It just seems like a great feature...

I have not given that any thought. You get to be the pioneer on this one. A divider wall would be a comparative easy component. A three way diverter gate might be the big challenge.

It would be a great feature, but*...you'd have to also shut the pellets off from the auger not just divide them in the hopper.I think it may be more difficult than one would think. Probably need more of a split box with sliding horizontal plates?

It would be a great feature, but*...you'd have to also shut the pellets off from the auger not just divide them in the hopper.I think it may be more difficult than one would think. Probably need more of a split box with sliding horizontal plates?
Yes, it is not the top that is the issue but how to still allow the auger a full radius of the selected pellets. It sounds like a great feature for the Rec Tec people to incorporate though. Is there ANY competitor that could offer this? As the competition heats up this could be another really cool selling point on future units.

Hi Brian V. You asked for input, so I trust I can share my mode of operation without discouraging you from following your personal preference. I began using pellet smokers in September and, as of yet, I do not fill the hopper to its full capacity. Actually, try placing an amount that enables me to complete a cook without being left with an abundance of pellets in the hopper. I do this so that if on my next cook I want a different blend I can do so without removing lots of pellets to perform a changeover. It's quite common, though, for me to mix two or three wood species during a single cook and, so, I add each blend incrementally to the hopper to begin the cook. Good luck!

My solution to the problem was to buy a BucketHead vac ($27 from Home Depot) and dedicate it to pellet removal. Since I keep the pellets in 5-gal buckets anyway, it is perfect for the job. Takes just a couple minutes to get everything vacuumed out all the way to the auger and I don't have to worry about guessing how many pellets to add.

I also don't like to leave a lot of pellets in the system in general after I grill because I don't want humidity turning them to sawdust and clogging up the works.

1583421068469.png

Hi Brian V. You asked for input, so I trust I can share my mode of operation without discouraging you from following your personal preference. I began using pellet smokers in September and, as of yet, I do not fill the hopper to its full capacity. Actually, try placing an amount that enables me to complete a cook without being left with an abundance of pellets in the hopper. I do this so that if on my next cook I want a different blend I can do so without removing lots of pellets to perform a changeover. It's quite common, though, for me to mix two or three wood species during a single cook and, so, I add each blend incrementally to the hopper to begin the cook. Good luck!
Thanks for sharing. With that great capacity it has I was just thinking how cool it would be to have different flavors on tap... but I doubt that I would actually follow through with a mod. As you say here... it's not that complicated. God bless.

I second (and third) the bucket vac. I love how you guys do all of these cool mods. I have no skill so i don't. But i am envious.

On this one though... I get it but wouldn't do it. What i would mod instead though would be a quick pellet removal door. Some brands have that. It would make much more sense than what they have. easy and complete removal would be nice!

On the two pellet or three pellet chambers, I am not sure it would work for me. I keep on hand anywhere from 4-6 pellet types. Combos and then apple, hickory, mesquite and oak.. (as examples). So, having a hopper with two wouldn't actually eliminate the problem for me.

If you think you are a two pellet guy, give it a try. But, i think when lose your mind like the majority of us, you will find you are using lots of pellet types and you are still in need of the bucket vac. I use that... after every cook actually. I have a small scoop... and put those not used back in their specific pail (e.g. apple pellets back in the apple pail). And the last little bit i use the vac. I actually use the vac for the last little bit and then when the "waste" pail is full just actually use them on my fire pit we have out back. (make for a nice aroma). Or, i occasionally use them (if dry) for long cooks of pork butt.. as that meat can take somewhat anything.

Long story short. if you did a mod, to divide or have two pellet types you would quickly realize you need a third and then maybe a fourth.. I would go bucket vac.

I second (and third) the bucket vac. I love how you guys do all of these cool mods. I have no skill so i don't. But i am envious.

On this one though... I get it but wouldn't do it. What i would mod instead though would be a quick pellet removal door. Some brands have that. It would make much more sense than what they have. easy and complete removal would be nice!

On the two pellet or three pellet chambers, I am not sure it would work for me. I keep on hand anywhere from 4-6 pellet types. Combos and then apple, hickory, mesquite and oak.. (as examples). So, having a hopper with two wouldn't actually eliminate the problem for me.

If you think you are a two pellet guy, give it a try. But, i think when lose your mind like the majority of us, you will find you are using lots of pellet types and you are still in need of the bucket vac. I use that... after every cook actually. I have a small scoop... and put those not used back in their specific pail (e.g. apple pellets back in the apple pail). And the last little bit i use the vac. I actually use the vac for the last little bit and then when the "waste" pail is full just actually use them on my fire pit we have out back. (make for a nice aroma). Or, i occasionally use them (if dry) for long cooks of pork butt.. as that meat can take somewhat anything.

Long story short. if you did a mod, to divide or have two pellet types you would quickly realize you need a third and then maybe a fourth.. I would go bucket vac.
Great post here. Yes, I tend to agree with everything you have said. It is kind of like having to choose your favorite style of music... well, I like soul, country. funk, rock, gospel, new age, and fusion. So can I get a bag of that? God bless and thanks for sharing.

Good Point!

Yet another bucket vac guy here. I store my pellets in separate, labeled buckets. If I want to switch flavors I just suck the pellets into the correct bucket and refill with whatever I want. Takes but a minute to do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back