Bull Mouse Invasion

Mickslick

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
My 1 year old Bull was disgraced by a mouse building a nest int the barrel. As far as I can tell the only two ways in are through the grease spout or the chimney. Any advice on best way to keep these vile vermin out of my grill? This gives me the heebie jeebies to say the least.

BTW - In considering the design, the addition of a flip up cap on the grease spout and a sliding Chimney cap adjustment (i.e. have the cap slide on a rod from full closed "mouse proof" to pre slotted catches) - Or accessory pieces thereof to add, would be great!

Thanks

Always a creepy feeling when mice invade your personal territory. I know Rec Tec doesn't make anything thing you describe but maybe you are someone you know could fabricate covers. The slotted idea is great.

Of course, the other options is to cook more often and never let the Bull get cool :) . I've suggested that idea to my wife with little support, although there are weeks where it is used every day, sometimes more than once a day. ??

My 1 year old Bull was disgraced by a mouse building a nest int the barrel. As far as I can tell the only two ways in are through the grease spout or the chimney. Any advice on best way to keep these vile vermin out of my grill? This gives me the heebie jeebies to say the least.

BTW - In considering the design, the addition of a flip up cap on the grease spout and a sliding Chimney cap adjustment (i.e. have the cap slide on a rod from full closed "mouse proof" to pre slotted catches) - Or accessory pieces thereof to add, would be great!

Thanks
This is my solution for the grease spout that I made.
20200412_124735.jpg
20200412_124747.jpg
20200412_124754.jpg

Great and simple idea. Hoping i never get mice, but if I do, going to use your grease cork! what did you do for the chimney? ??

Great and simple idea. Hoping i never get mice, but if I do, going to use your grease cork! what did you do for the chimney? ??
I never had them in the Bull but didn't want to start either. The only time I had mouse issues was on a old Weber gasser that I covered, I think they liked the security of what the cover provided.

This is my fix for critter entry in the chimney, just make sure to line up the caps slot with the chimneys support brace that the stainless cover bolt attaches to. Disclaimer this cap should only be used with the grill unplugged to eliminate start ups with wifi otherwise your going to have a mess to clean up.
20200612_084840.jpg
20200612_084849.jpg

Last edited:
Final critter modification is the fan screen, I have more of a bird nesting issues around here but this will take care of rodents too, had to do this because the tool box modification created a nice cozy home for the critters on top of it with no easy way to get them out without separating the grill from the tool box cart.
20200527_140748.jpg
20200527_140752.jpg

Last edited:
You are all so incredibly creative!!!! I am always in awe of the talent and ingenuity coming out of this forum!

I might have to get one of those corks for my 590! I would freak out if I had a critter move in. ?️? Probably have to buy a new grill!!!

You are all so incredibly creative!!!! I am always in awe of the talent and ingenuity coming out of this forum!

I might have to get one of those corks for my 590! I would freak out if I had a critter move in. ?? Probably have to buy a new grill!!!
Thank you, it's the Macgyver mindset in me. ?

For those contemplating a mesh/screen solution: An adult mouse can fit through a hole the size of a dime, while adolescent mice are even smaller. So you don't want to use something too wide.

My grill comes next week. I plan to model/3D print some sort of plugs because I too will be have this issue living in very wooded area. I wonder how hot it gets on the drip hole and smoke stack. My plastic parts won't survive high heat, but will be OK to put on when cool

My grill comes next week. I plan to model/3D print some sort of plugs because I too will be have this issue living in very wooded area. I wonder how hot it gets on the drip hole and smoke stack. My plastic parts won't survive high heat, but will be OK to put on when cool
I made that same cork out of cheddar cheese. It didn’t work. Not sure why. :D ??

UPS lost my grill. Replacement grill comes today supposedly. Hoping to get a few plugs modeled and printed in the coming weeks. Will list them affordably on Etsy. Maybe 5 bucks each depending on time/materials to make them.

Last edited:
Got a grill now. Started modeling the plugs. Prototype attempt 2. First one didn't fit, not sure what I measured wrong. Fingers crossed.

Has some small weep holes since grease keeps dripping after the grill is cool sometimes. Added holes for a string to attach to the bucket or something else.

Will keep testing until I have a good plug and fit. Plan to sell on Etsy pretty cheap - mostly my design time.

Attachments

• plug.png
    plug.png
    476.2 KB · Views: 93

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back