Trailblazer Need advice, will a turkey fit in the RecTec Trailblazer?

Maroon87

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Hey all, I am new to Rec Tec and need some help. What am I going to tell my wife when my new RT-340 arrives on my doorstep? Creative suggestions welcomed. :) Also, can I smoke a whole 16lb turkey or do I need to spatchcock it to fit? Thanks!!!

@Maroon87 maybe send the wife out to get some groceries around the time the RecTec Trailblazer is expected to be delivered. From there just hide it in the garage. :D

If I'm not mistaken a 16 pound bird should fit in the Trailblazer pellet grill. I thought someone here posted a picture or two earlier.

@Maroon87 maybe send the wife out to get some groceries around the time the RecTec Trailblazer is expected to be delivered. From there just hide it in the garage. :D

If I'm not mistaken a 16 pound bird should fit in the Trailblazer pellet grill. I thought someone here posted a picture or two earlier.
Thank you, Mike, I will look out for some pics. Maybe I can get a cover on it in the garage right away and put it next to my Blackstone. And then when she sees me cooking I'll say "what....this old thing" or I can distract her with "hey remember when I bought that older model Audi off ebay and then the tranmission went out?" But likely I'll take my punishment like a man.

Delivery arrived with the Trailblazer. My wife was not home and the box is in the garage. So far so good! We will be travelling with it for Thanksgiving so the clock is ticking to my certain demise.

Meanwhile, I ordered the vents. I look forward to learning more from this group. Unfortunately I am out of town for the next 4 days before I can play with my new toy.

I did a 18lb bird in mine a few weeks ago. Just scraped the breast going in.

Attachments

• 87B38DB0-FA2F-449E-9658-64431C6A562B.jpeg
    87B38DB0-FA2F-449E-9658-64431C6A562B.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 292
Perfect. That pic gives me what I wanted to see related to "headroom." I hope your bird was tasty as it sure looks good!
Good luck Maroon. As the saying goes “ It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission”
Worked for me !

Well I was tinkering with my Trailblazer getting it ready for the maiden voyage and my wife arrived home opening the garage door to my surprise. She just looked at me funny and said "I saw the box when it was delivered." So I said " love you" and blew her a kiss and she said "uh huh" and that was it. Heck, maybe I should have got a bigger model (by that I mean smoker). ;)

I cooked a 10lb bird this past weekend, and it turned out great. I am going to try a 16lb on Thanksgiving. I want to try and spatchcock it as well, hoping the grates are wide enough.

Attachments

• Turkey (2).jpg
    Turkey (2).jpg
    857.2 KB · Views: 173
  • Turkey (1).jpg
    Turkey (1).jpg
    830.7 KB · Views: 195
A tight fit in the Trailblazer, but here are the two fresh turkeys. I quasi-spatchcocked with thighs removed the front 14lb bird. The second was a 10lb bird kept whole. Both were brined. I placed them on a bed of leeks and parsnips.

Now warming in oven awaiting a short transport to my brothers place.

Attachments

• 20191129_152043.jpg
    20191129_152043.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 152

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back