Bull Need help- temp issues

Hey y’all,

My first three cooks on my new 700 went perfectly, I didn’t have any temperature issues at all. But today I’m having problems. The grill is getting way hotter than the set temp sometimes by 70 degrees.
I’ve changed the feed rate from factory 6.50% to 3.50% and it’s still getting and staying hotter than the set temp.
The grill is in the shade and it’s not hotter than it was for my first three cooks. What could be happening?

Attachments

• 474D04B3-6E71-4F42-AE59-F9D21463BC19.jpeg
    474D04B3-6E71-4F42-AE59-F9D21463BC19.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 121
  • 97861140-7BAF-4F92-869C-9A30730843A4.png
    97861140-7BAF-4F92-869C-9A30730843A4.png
    339.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 88D3E206-2E72-4770-849C-48355D7BE1E1.png
    88D3E206-2E72-4770-849C-48355D7BE1E1.png
    339 KB · Views: 87
  • DF7F9C84-B7AF-4E80-A147-657E1EEF9751.png
    DF7F9C84-B7AF-4E80-A147-657E1EEF9751.png
    410.7 KB · Views: 92
Try setting the minimum feed rate to 3.0 and make sure to keep the lid shut to help it stabilize. If this doesn't help a call to Rec Tec would be next thing to do.

I'm pretty sure the minimum feed rate only affects the LO temp setting. I would call Rec Tec and get their help.

Hey y’all,

My first three cooks on my new 700 went perfectly, I didn’t have any temperature issues at all. But today I’m having problems. The grill is getting way hotter than the set temp sometimes by 70 degrees.
I’ve changed the feed rate from factory 6.50% to 3.50% and it’s still getting and staying hotter than the set temp.
The grill is in the shade and it’s not hotter than it was for my first three cooks. What could be happening?
Let us know how it shakes out!

Let us know how it shakes out!
Check to make sure the thermocouple isnt blocked by foil or filthy. That's the rod on the left inside the grill. It could be sending a false signal the the electronics. If not that you could have a bad board. Call rectec and tell them whats going on. If its the board they'll ship you out a new one at no cost.

If you clean the probe, do so carefully. It could be build-up on the probe. Do you use a smoke tube? ??

Did and how was this problem resolved? My RT700 is doing the same thing?

I'm doing my second cook on my RT700 and am running into the same issue. Temp is set at 200, feed rate is down to 3.0. It's sunny and about 80 degrees here today. Temp swings as high as 252, then backs down. I thought the PID controller stopped those temp swings. I'm new to the RT world, am I missing something?

I'm doing my second cook on my RT700 and am running into the same issue. Temp is set at 200, feed rate is down to 3.0. It's sunny and about 80 degrees here today. Temp swings as high as 252, then backs down. I thought the PID controller stopped those temp swings. I'm new to the RT world, am I missing something?
After the feed rate is down to 3 and it’s not working, I would call Rec Tec. Maybe something defective? ??

Had my RT-700 for a little over a year. Has always held temperature very precisely - until today. Now all the sudden when set to 225, I'm swinging as high as 260s after the first couple hours. Pellets didnt change....really nothing did....worked perfectly fine last week and for the year preceding? Not sure exactly how many cooks I did on it in that time, but I went through about 120+ pounds of pellets...all rectec pellets that shipped with the grill...the end of bag #3 is probably feeding it now.

Had my RT-700 for a little over a year. Has always held temperature very precisely - until today. Now all the sudden when set to 225, I'm swinging as high as 260s after the first couple hours. Pellets didnt change....really nothing did....worked perfectly fine last week and for the year preceding? Not sure exactly how many cooks I did on it in that time, but I went through about 120+ pounds of pellets...all rectec pellets that shipped with the grill...the end of bag #3 is probably feeding it now.
Welcome to the forums. Set your minimum feed rate to 3.0 and see if that takes care of the temperature swings. I run my Bull at 3.0 year round with no issues in CT.

Welcome to the forums. Set your minimum feed rate to 3.0 and see if that takes care of the temperature swings. I run my Bull at 3.0 year round with no issues in CT.

I will give it a try. Any idea why it would be essentially perfect for so long (as recent as a few days ago) and then just start acting up?

I will give it a try. Any idea why it would be essentially perfect for so long (as recent as a few days ago) and then just start acting up?
Things change, weather, sun exposure, pellets quality even if they are the same brand, how the grill is being used, last cook and I can't explain it. I set my Bull to 3.0 before I even did the initial burn in last July and its been pretty much rock solid on the lower temperatures except when opening the lid for more than a couple of minutes or so, It will drop then over shoot for a while then calm back down in 15 to 20 minutes when this happens. If I know I'm going to have the lid open to move things around, add more food or to just poke at the cook for a longer time I try to remember to turn the controllers temperature down to LO, do what I need to do and reset the temperature to the original or new temp settings I'm looking for.

Maybe my pellets are old. They are from the original shipment 14 months ago. They still seem solid/crisp when I try to break them, ie no dust etc, but who knows.

And all these temperature fluctuations for me are occurring in the shade, with 0 wind, and not opening the lid over 10 hours.

Having similar problems with my 3 week old rt700 and just posted my own thread with my multiple problems with the grill. Beginning to wonder if these chinese manufactured grills are over hyped due to excellent marketing on rectec's part.

Having similar problems with my 3 week old rt700 and just posted my own thread with my multiple problems with the grill. Beginning to wonder if these chinese manufactured grills are over hyped due to excellent marketing on rectec's part.

I have to say for the first year it was literally perfect. Then all of the sudden yesterday it acted like a totally different product.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back