Need model advice from the experts...

TXVet

Hi all. Brand new to the forum- don’t even have a Rec Tec yet! But I’ve been shopping for the last several weeks and I am set on a new Rec Tec. I’ve fallen for the product, the company, the customers service and am set on it. Problem is, I can only really afford the smaller Trailblazer and I’m not sure that will be big enough for my family’s needs.

I’ve gone back and forth between the Trailblazer and the Stampede for a while now. I just don’t think I can swing the Stampede once you add in the cover, seat kit, etc. It jumps up quickly. (I’m a cancer Dad so I’ll be poor the rest of my life. Lol) But I can swing the Trailblazer. Can y’all weigh in and let’s me know if the trailblazer would be big enough for a family of five? Is it big enough to smoke a turkey? A pair of beer can chickens? Maybe even 3? Any drop off in quality from the stampede to the trailblazer?

I’ve had a few people say just wait until you can get just what you want but that might be a long wait. Lol. Think the trailblazer will be enough for the five of us or should I regretfully go with a slightly lower quality brand that has more cooking space for the same money?

Any insight is appreciated! Really wish I could see these models in person but I’ll trust you guys! Thanks again!

Edit- sorry mods, I wasn’t sure if this should go in the general discussion or a more product based one. Feel free to move if necessary.

@TXVet Welcome to the group!

Based on forum feedback (here / Facebook, other sites), I'd think the TB would be plenty enough room for what you're looking to cook. Don't forget you can opt. for the 2nd shelf for added space, just have to consider height of the meats at that point.

I've gone back and forth for many years (2016) about picking up a pellet smoker and have looked at / researched most brands, Traeger, PitBoss, CampChef, Grilla, GreenMountain, Yoder, Blazing, RecTec. Mostly the outcome was headaches and frustration as you're going to see tons of good / bad posts of each. But dollar for dollar, when you consider build quality, customer service, member loyalty, features (PID, Wi-Fi, etc.) RecTec is hands down the solid choice.

Whatever model you choose in the RT family, I'm certain you'll be happy with your decision once you've had it and produced delicious eats.

Happy smokin and good luck on your decision!
-David

Just remembered, I had read somewhere that the Trailblazer recently went through a remodel and they added a larger hopper (similar to the Stampede) and a lower shelf for added stability. Can any of the TB owners here confirm?

@TXVet firstly, welcome to RecTecForum. You're headed in the right direction picking Rec Tec. I love mine for sure!

The RecTec Trailblazer can hold a 22 pound spatchcock turkey and you will still be able to use a second interior shelf for additional items if you'd like. Simply put the Trailblazer is no slouch.

Sure the bigger grills are nice to have, there isn't no need to kill your budget over a grill. Get what you can afford and I'm sure you're going to be just happy.

The two biggest differences between say the Trailblazer and a Bull is the warranty time frame and obviously size (and hopper size). Otherwise the internals such as controller, awesome quality, are all pretty much the same.

Just remembered, I had read somewhere that the Trailblazer recently went through a remodel and they added a larger hopper (similar to the Stampede) and a lower shelf for added stability. Can any of the TB owners here confirm?
Per the RecTec website, the Stampede has a 30 pound hopper and the Trailblazer a 20 pound hopper.

Per the RecTec website, the Stampede has a 30 pound hopper and the Trailblazer a 20 pound hopper.

Interesting, maybe they just changed the design but kept it at 20lbs. but looking at this photo, it sure looks like the Stampede hopper..

TBlazer.jpg

Interesting, maybe they just changed the design but kept it at 20lbs. but looking at this photo, it sure looks like the Stampede hopper..

View attachment 762
Rec Tec DID change the hopper on the Trailblazer. It used to be a 15 pound hopper (and even lists it as so in the manual), however it's since been updated... by how much I don't know for 100% sure, but the official Rec Tec website says the hopper size is 20 pounds now.

Rec Tec DID change the hopper on the Trailblazer. It used to be a 15 pound hopper (and even lists it as so in the manual), however it's since been updated... by how much I don't know for 100% sure, but the official Rec Tec website says the hopper size is 20 pounds now.
Wasn't sure of the original size of hopper on the TB, that's a nice upgrade for sure, added value without increasing price. That's a win / win in my book.
(y)

Grilling is meant to bring joy to you and the family. Don't stress out over a budget. Get what you can afford and we all will be here to support you and help you get the most out if it!
Welcome to the Family!! @TXVet

By the time you add in the bundle prices and what not i personally would go with the bull i get that this is above price range but financing is available for low monthly payments and the bull warrenty is 6 yrs and i believe the tb is 2 or 4 not sure which

The bull will fit all your familys need good luck on choice

I would go for the bull. I don't know if your a PayPal member but they run specials on there for 24 months zero interest on purchases over 600 on eBay. The bull is on there I. A package deal. If there are any extra accessories needed rec tec will accommodate a

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back