Bull New 700, temp calibration

DaveB

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Ok, so I've seen several threads about this already. Most seem to be about the 2 meat probes and how to calibrate them. Both of mine read 32 in a glass of ice water, so no problem there. When I clip my 3rd party thermometer, a ThermoWorks Smoke unit, to the very center of the racks I'm getting 30 to 40 degrees lower than what the 700 says. So, I assume then that I need to adjust the controller at that point. Did I place my thermometer correctly, is that where I need to check it or should it be placed closer to the built in thermometer?

So, I spoke to a customer service rep and asked about this. I asked him if putting my third party probe in the middle of the grill was an accurate place to measure the temp. He said nope, absolutely not. The algorithm takes many factors into account... He said a lot more that I don't accurately remember but basically, after watching the video, it seemed like he was saying this isn't accurate.

My question to all of you is, Have you done this with your grill? If you did/didn't do it, how is your grill working for you?

So, I spoke to a customer service rep and asked about this. I asked him if putting my third party probe in the middle of the grill was an accurate place to measure the temp. He said nope, absolutely not. The algorithm takes many factors into account... He said a lot more that I don't accurately remember but basically, after watching the video, it seemed like he was saying this isn't accurate.

My question to all of you is, Have you done this with your grill? If you did/didn't do it, how is your grill working for you?
I place my third party temp probe as close as possible to the sensor I'm calibrating.

shouldn't you calibrate to the level at which your food is cooking, like 1" off of the grill? you also probably have to take an average temp over time.

shouldn't you calibrate to the level at which your food is cooking, like 1" off of the grill? you also probably have to take an average temp over time.
The temp. probe I usually use has a clip that keeps it up off the grill by about 1" or so. I've been using it as is and after a few more cooks ill decide if I want to make any adjustments or leave it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back