New Bull 700. Any advice?

CentralCali

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Just took the plunge and bought my Rec Tec 700 Bull ( Rightfully named, " EL TORO"). I added the gold package ( competition cart, fold up shelf, smoker box,sear plates, cover, and extra pellet bags.) It was alot of dinero, but figure I'll use everything but the smoke box.... Im a former Smokey Mountain Weber Smoker and Webber Summit Griller. I loved them both but the Smokey was just too much time and effort. Can't wait for 'EL TORO' to arrive in a few days. Any advice for a beginner Pallet Smoker? Modifications advice ? I may not add the smoke box til later. Thoughts?

I’m a recent Bull owner myself, and I too went with the Gold package. I expect you will find uses for the smoke box once you start cooking on your Bull. It can be used as a warmer box while cooking in the main chamber, and I’ve used mine to bake a side that required a lower temp. Your cover will also fit better with it on! ?

Besides the obvious smoke/grill foods, I have had fun cooking things I would not dare try on my gas grill or electric smoker, specifically baking. With a temp control that is "dead-nuts-accurate" it is easy to bake with confidence. I made pineapple upside down cake already. Cheesecake is next on the list.

20190902_145327.jpg

We often see on here where newbs start talking about "modifications", sometimes before they've done their first cook. I get that some folks have the "fiddle" gene and just gotta play with things, but I'd suggest tapping the brakes on any mod no matter how enthusiastic those that post up their experiences are. There are way, or should that be WAY, more users out there who have done no mods and are very happy with the way the device functions. Work with it awhile and see how it meets your needs/expectations.

I got the same package you have and love it!...The biggest problem I found with the package that I had to modify immediately was that it came with everything except MEAT. I had to change that and went out and have exhausted my kids college fund almost bankrupted myself cooking ever protein I could...LOL

YOU GONNA LOVE IT!! Congrats!!

We often see on here where newbs start talking about "modifications", sometimes before they've done their first cook. I get that some folks have the "fiddle" gene and just gotta play with things, but I'd suggest tapping the brakes on any mod no matter how enthusiastic those that post up their experiences are. There are way, or should that be WAY, more users out there who have done no mods and are very happy with the way the device functions. Work with it awhile and see how it meets your needs/expectations.

I agree. Speaking to my own experience, and recognizing that others may see it differently, but in my own case, following this advice would have saved me the personal expense and my wasted time on the Smoke Daddy Heavy D diffuser. Which is a "mod".

The Xtreme Smoke setting, and/ or the use of a simple smoke tube, I found actually gave me better overall results than it, and with less hassle.

Bacon! Using the grill mats that come in the bundle, or at least mine did. Thick cut bacon on the mat(s) with the Bull preheated to 375°. Cook about 20 minutes or so, based on desired crispiness. The bacon comes out very flat and evenly cooked with most of the grease dripped away. Paper towel the rest off as desired. It's absolutely the best way to cook a pack or two of bacon.

My wife doesn't like a heavily smoked bacon, so I scrape the drip tray off and run the temp up to burn off any excess before cooking the bacon. I like it better that way as well cooked with RT competition blend, it's hard to beat.

Just took the plunge and bought my Rec Tec 700 Bull ( Rightfully named, " EL TORO"). I added the gold package ( competition cart, fold up shelf, smoker box,sear plates, cover, and extra pellet bags.) It was alot of dinero, but figure I'll use everything but the smoke box.... Im a former Smokey Mountain Weber Smoker and Webber Summit Griller. I loved them both but the Smokey was just too much time and effort. Can't wait for 'EL TORO' to arrive in a few days. Any advice for a beginner Pallet Smoker? Modifications advice ? I may not add the smoke box til later. Thoughts?
Hey.. good choice on the Bull.. look at my post #7 on the sear plate question.. Also, I added the hi temp gasket felt around my door.. keeps things nice., Good luck with your new Grill, Eldon

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back