New bullseye beta

krislacy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Matador
I went to the Rec Tec festival over the weekend and was able to purchase the new bullseye beta. I have only cooked wings and heated up some cheese bread. Some of the wings got a little burnt which I haven't seen on my rec tec bull. I only seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic. The wings that didn't burn were very good. When I heated up the cheese bread I used a stone and it was very good. It had a grill taste.
I think this is going to be a fun cooker. Let me know if any has any questions.

I went to the Rec Tec festival over the weekend and was able to purchase the new bullseye beta. I have only cooked wings and heated up some cheese bread. Some of the wings got a little burnt which I haven't seen on my rec tec bull. I only seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic. The wings that didn't burn were very good. When I heated up the cheese bread I used a stone and it was very good. It had a grill taste.
I think this is going to be a fun cooker. Let me know if any has any questions.

Pictures? run down of the differences between the V1 Bullseye and the beta

Pictures? run down of the differences between the V1 Bullseye and the beta
I take a few pictures tomorrow and post them. This has the PID temp control like the other grills but doesn't have wifi control. It also has adjustment in increments of 25 degrees. The lid is hinged. The non beta version will be 304 stainless steel. I think the grates will be stainless steel too.

Here are a few pictures. One is next to the bull and the other picture is next to the matador.

I will try to get some times on heating and more stats tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_20200219_124921.jpg
    IMG_20200219_124921.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 225
  • IMG_20200219_124912.jpg
    IMG_20200219_124912.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20200219_124825.jpg
    IMG_20200219_124825.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 184
It took just over 18 minutes to get to 200 degrees with an out side temperature of 30 degrees. I am seasoning the griddle at 225 degrees since below 225 degrees it just says low.

I ran the grill for just over 2 hours at 225 and increased to 400 which took 7 minutes and 50 seconds and the outside temperature is now 24.

Any commentary on the new version Matador? Compared to a Firedisc it seems to offer much better value from a description/features standpoint.

I'd be surprised if they went all 304 on the non-beta Bullseye, at least on the body. They may have told you that but they've also told Bull owners that the Bull body is 304 when it is really 430. The grates are 304, and that is stated in the description, but for the rest (talking about the Bull again), they just say "stainless". We had some similar discrepancy awhile back when talking about metal thickness on bodies and lids. What the customer service people say doesn't match up with actual field measuring of the delivered product. Hard to know why they get that stuff wrong, I wouldn't go to it being intentionally deceptive, but misinformed for sure.

All that being said, a Bullseye in 430 would be consistent with past practices, continue a product theme, and would be perfectly serviceable if not subjected to overly harsh conditions or abuse.

Any commentary on the new version Matador? Compared to a Firedisc it seems to offer much better value from a description/features standpoint.

I'd be surprised if they went all 304 on the non-beta Bullseye, at least on the body. They may have told you that but they've also told Bull owners that the Bull body is 304 when it is really 430. The grates are 304, and that is stated in the description, but for the rest (talking about the Bull again), they just say "stainless". We had some similar discrepancy awhile back when talking about metal thickness on bodies and lids. What the customer service people say doesn't match up with actual field measuring of the delivered product. Hard to know why they get that stuff wrong, I wouldn't go to it being intentionally deceptive, but misinformed for sure.

All that being said, a Bullseye in 430 would be consistent with past practices, continue a product theme, and would be perfectly serviceable if not subjected to overly harsh conditions or abuse.
The new matador looked very nice with a lid and two zone burner. I like my matador but I have had issues with it being too hot or not hot enough. I think two zone would fix this. The burners looked substantial.

Saw what looks to be closer to the final product on the Bullseye Facebook page:

86624126_3285921218085930_7440350186787831808_n.jpg

Looks nice, but I'm pretty sure it will cost too much for me to consider it as a searing companion to my RT-590. Yet it appears to lack the WiFi and probes people want in a standalone smoker. Not sure what their target market is.

Saw what looks to be closer to the final product on the Bullseye Facebook page:

86624126_3285921218085930_7440350186787831808_n.jpg

Looks nice, but I'm pretty sure it will cost too much for me to consider it as a searing companion to my RT-590. Yet it appears to lack the WiFi and probes people want in a standalone smoker. Not sure what their target market is.

You obviously need some further development of your rationalization skills. ;) As a devout gizmoholic I will pass along one way to convince yourself that this would be a vital addition to your patio. We all appreciate the ease of low and slow, longish term, no fuss cooks we get from our RT cookers/smokers. The set it and sleep through the night thing. So, it's only natural that we think of this as the ideal cooker for anything shorter term, say an hour or, better, half hour and less cooking. E.g., steaks, burgers, corn on the cob, pork chops, etc. Not just for the sear, but for the entire cook. You've already got the pellets on hand, so no extra fuel sources needed on hand. And rather than buy some aftermarket gizmo (though there's nothing wrong with having more toys) to add smoke intensity to your current cooker, this one could more easily be utilized as your initial smoke layer-oner for say the first couple hours for those long cook proteins. After hitting the meat with the smoke round, move it over to the "barrel". And that way you won't have to fiddle with changing pellet wood species, as each can be loaded with something different to get creative on your smoke profile. Seamless cooking.................................

See, easy.:)

You obviously need some further development of your rationalization skills. ;) As a devout gizmoholic I will pass along one way to convince yourself that this would be a vital addition to your patio. We all appreciate the ease of low and slow, longish term, no fuss cooks we get from our RT cookers/smokers. The set it and sleep through the night thing. So, it's only natural that we think of this as the ideal cooker for anything shorter term, say an hour or, better, half hour and less cooking. E.g., steaks, burgers, corn on the cob, pork chops, etc. Not just for the sear, but for the entire cook. You've already got the pellets on hand, so no extra fuel sources needed on hand. And rather than buy some aftermarket gizmo (though there's nothing wrong with having more toys) to add smoke intensity to your current cooker, this one could more easily be utilized as your initial smoke layer-oner for say the first couple hours for those long cook proteins. After hitting the meat with the smoke round, move it over to the "barrel". And that way you won't have to fiddle with changing pellet wood species, as each can be loaded with something different to get creative on your smoke profile. Seamless cooking.................................

See, easy.:)
You need to come over here and speak with my wife! hehehe

This new bullseye beta does use more pellets than the bull I feel. Here's a picture of burgers I cooked last night with the bullseye with grill grates. I had the grill at 400 and the grates were at 538ish.

Attachments

• IMG_20200224_200354.jpg
    IMG_20200224_200354.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 143
This new bullseye beta does use more pellets than the bull I feel. Here's a picture of burgers I cooked last night with the bullseye with grill grates. I had the grill at 400 and the grates were at 538ish.
New user here. How much did that thing run you, and do you think that will be the final price when it is released?

You mention that it uses more pellets than your bull, do you feel like it did better as a grill? As far as heating up quickly and returning to temp after opening the lid?

By the way, those burgers look awesome, I'm hungry now!

New user here. How much did that thing run you, and do you think that will be the final price when it is released?

You mention that it uses more pellets than your bull, do you feel like it did better as a grill? As far as heating up quickly and returning to temp after opening the lid?

By the way, those burgers look awesome, I'm hungry now!
The beta was $250 and that was a special price to purchase it at the festival. The new one will be stainless steel with a price of $400 for 30 days then $500. That is the information I was told months ago so that could change.
Yes it does a good job as a grill and I think it would work well as a smoker if the weather wasn't too cold. I think this until will shine on getting temperature around 400 plus degrees in the warmer months.

I am planning on steaks Friday and doing a reverse sear. I will start with the bull and end on the bullseye. I will try to post a picture.

I picked up the Beta last wed and I love it. It does have a meat probe, and they said they have quite a few left. You have to go to Rec Tec to purchase of course. $290 out the door with a 40lb bag of pellets and tax.

The beta was $250 and that was a special price to purchase it at the festival. The new one will be stainless steel with a price of $400 for 30 days then $500. That is the information I was told months ago so that could change.
Yes it does a good job as a grill and I think it would work well as a smoker if the weather wasn't too cold. I think this until will shine on getting temperature around 400 plus degrees in the warmer months.

I am planning on steaks Friday and doing a reverse sear. I will start with the bull and end on the bullseye. I will try to post a picture.
They still have the beta version in stock. I grabbed one last wed.

I tried to do a reverse sear with a couple of steaks using the bull for the lower temperature and searing with the bullseye. The bullseye didn't get above 150ish degrees and gave me an error 2 message. I tried three times and received the same error. I finished it on the bull. Next day I cleaned out the fire pot and tried to get it up to temperature which worked flawlessly. I tried later that night to get high temperatures for a brisket sandwich and worked again without issue. The following day I did a dessert on high temp again perfectly. I think the take away is the fire pot needs to be cleaned first. I have included a few pictures. Please note the steak was cooked on the bull.

Attachments

• IMG_20200229_190437.jpg
    IMG_20200229_190437.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 120

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back