Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
So on Monday morning I placed an order for my first pellet grill, a RT-700 Gold Package. On Tuesday I received an email stating that it had shipped via Estes and would arrive sometime on or after Thursday. Well I really didn’t expect that truck freight would get it here on Thursday, even though Georgia to Kentucky is not that far. Was I ever wrong-I was working in my shop this morning and stopped at noon to walk the dog and this is what I found in the driveway! Two day freight delivery has to be record delivery time.

Also, I have not opened any of the boxes yet but every one appears to be pristine with no visible damage whatsoever. That too, would be a record! Going to wait until tomorrow to start assembling everything.

FF70169C-677D-4DE5-876B-4750CEBFA646.jpeg

First off congratulations on the new pit....welcome to the forum and the family!!

Second...WAIT TILL TOMORROW?!?! ARE YOU CRAZY!!! DO IT NOW>>>DO IT NOW!!! LOL

Welcome and congratulations! I have to say that is some speedy delivery service you got there.. The driver must have a RT of their own and figured they better get this over to their RT brother post haste.

Have fun!

@Greg Jones welcome to RecTecForum and congrats on your newly delivered Rec Tec RT-700.

You're a stronger guy than most of us, no way I could wait until the following day to open it. I'd have to at least take a quick glance into the boxes. :D

Welcome aboard. New toys is good...……..

Okay, it's 7:40am CT...……….....where are the assembly pics...……………….time's a wastin'...……..

Welcome, Congratulations, and I'm very glad to see Estes didn't crush your box!..
Enjoy , your obsession starts now...lol

OK, I did get everything assembled yesterday which took me longer than I anticipated. Today I’ll do the burn-in and connect to app and hopefully I’ll be eating well this weekend! Two points about the grill and assembly that I want to quickly mention. I have a long history with smokers-many years ago I had a side-box stick burner that served me well and I’ve had a Large Big Green Egg for 16 years now. Loved them both and have no plans to stop cooking on the Egg.

I’ve thought about a pellet grill for some time now, and I researched them more thoroughly recently as my son-in-law asked for help in picking a new smoker. I decided that now might be the time to take the leap, and my came down to the Bull and the Traeger Timberline. It was a tough choice and after a period of analysis paralysis I ordered the Bull. Almost immediately I thought about canceling the order and getting the Traeger, but I thought better of it and so far I’m glad that I did.

The communication from Rec Tec right from the start could not have been better. From answering my questions on Twitter to the email updates, great experience. Once I started unpacking the Bull, I could not believe the level of detail in the packing. Once I started handling the parts, I could not believe how heavy-duty everything is. I had read that the Bull is built from heavier materials, but you have to handle it to understand. Take the drip pan for example, massive!

The only item in the package that I have to question is the door latch on the smoke box. It was too lose to stay in the closed position and although everything looked normal, I ended up bending the latch to get a snug fit. Don’t know if that is a common issue, but if so it is a weakness. Here are a few quick snaps for now, I’ll update with more info later.

Almost forgot, thanks for the welcome to the Rec Tec community!

69064C93-CD1B-47BC-8E23-ECBC9F47218D.jpeg
24EB1D57-D403-4E96-927A-E45135069AD7.jpeg
2B31968A-63C9-4FE9-80F0-05E72A5019B7.jpeg

OK, I did get everything assembled yesterday which took me longer than I anticipated. Today I’ll do the burn-in and connect to app and hopefully I’ll be eating well this weekend! Two points about the grill and assembly that I want to quickly mention. I have a long history with smokers-many years ago I had a side-box stick burner that served me well and I’ve had a Large Big Green Egg for 16 years now. Loved them both and have no plans to stop cooking on the Egg.

I’ve thought about a pellet grill for some time now, and I researched them more thoroughly recently as my son-in-law asked for help in picking a new smoker. I decided that now might be the time to take the leap, and my came down to the Bull and the Traeger Timberline. It was a tough choice and after a period of analysis paralysis I ordered the Bull. Almost immediately I thought about canceling the order and getting the Traeger, but I thought better of it and so far I’m glad that I did.

The communication from Rec Tec right from the start could not have been better. From answering my questions on Twitter to the email updates, great experience. Once I started unpacking the Bull, I could not believe the level of detail in the packing. Once I started handling the parts, I could not believe how heavy-duty everything is. I had read that the Bull is built from heavier materials, but you have to handle it to understand. Take the drip pan for example, massive!

The only item in the package that I have to question is the door latch on the smoke box. It was too lose to stay in the closed position and although everything looked normal, I ended up bending the latch to get a snug fit. Don’t know if that is a common issue, but if so it is a weakness. Here are a few quick snaps for now, I’ll update with more info later.

Almost forgot, thanks for the welcome to the Rec Tec community!
I have to agree with your assessment completely....everything is rock solid except the smoke box door handle...lol What I did to "fix" it was I used grill lid seal material around the door which did 2 things...it sealed the smoke box, before the seal there was some smoke that comes out from around the door so it sealed that and stopped the smoke from exiting and it solved the handle problem because it essentially made the door "thicker" so the latch wasnt loose any longer.
I love my Bull and I have no doubt you will love yours too! Congratulations !!

Thanks guys, same issue w smokebox here, love everything with rt700 and smokebox, but not happy with the smokebox latch.
To close the door, you grap the bullhorn handle and turn counterclockwise, but the weight of the handle pulls the latch open and ive found my box door open 2x, lost a lot the heat and time..
It should have been designed so that you counter the weight if the handle to OPEN it, not close it. I tried to see if I could install it to latch from below, but the middle shelf sleeve is in the way. Im sure with lots of smoke in the future, the action on the handle will gum up a bit, and offer more resistance to opening by itself..but for now I will try to bend it as you suggested.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back