New RT product - FLAT TOP GRIDDLE

Update: I'm still working with RT to resolve this. I've visited multiple forums and it's looking like the warping is isolated to the larger griddle (Bull / Stampede) as the round and smaller haven't had the same feedback. A replacement has been shipped, but I'm under the impression it will perform in a similar fashion. The sub 350 deg. temps have minimal or no warping but once it's cranked up, all bets are off. At least in my experience.

I'll update again once the replacement arrives and I've completed a couple cooks.
Thanks for the update!

@BretM This is likely the route I'll end up going.

I found Camp Chef Flat Top Grill 475 LC for $179 on their Website, is this the model you're referring to as the non-LC is $350.

The Camp Chef flat top grills are some of the better units out there, but you might want to tap the brakes a bit and consider what other cooking functions you do/ might want to do. The LC is a two burner with 15K each burners, the non-LC is three burners at 12K each according to the CC site. They also show the LC as "out of stock" which for them often means it's discontinued. To be replaced? Who knows outside of the company. There are multi tasker options for having a griddle and other functions that would probably be more satisfying than your RT experience so far. You're correct to suspect the thin profile/material, and fat drainage could become an issue with higher fat cooks, so drainage management is important too. Just sayin' there are lots and lots of choices out there that might be more useful to you rather than making a quick decision/choice to go to a dedicated griddle unit.

I have had mine for a few days now and have not noticed any warping. I cooked brats and onion and peppers in the bull and grill cheese sandwich, hamburger and sausage on the matador without issue.

I’m in the Camp Chef camp as well. Picked up an FTG600 about 5 weeks ago, and it’s a great companion to the Rec Tec. In my limited experience, griddling is very hands-on, with all the mixing, flipping, and overall attention needed during the cook. After having the Camp Chef, I'm sure it can be done, but griddling within the enclosure of the Stampede would be tough, especially trying to maintain a consistent temperature with the lid being opened so often.

Last edited:
Update:
Spent most of yesterday seasoning the replacement griddle. The 1st griddle, I used grapeseed oil and followed RT's instructions and ended up with a nicely blackened / seasoned griddle, but was plagued with warping. This time I followed advice from forum members and used a product called Buzzywax. Cleaned the griddle thoroughly, placed inside smoker and preheated to 350 degrees as per directions on the product, let it sit for a good 2 1/2 hours. Removed, applied a coat of the product, put back in smoker and cranked heat to 490 degrees and let sit for 1 hour. Removed, let cool a minute or two, put on a 2nd coat, put back in smoker for another 1 hour, repeated this 2 more times. Let cool, end result was a blackened / seasoned griddle in about 1/2 of the time.

This morning, heated up the griddle (350) for some breakfast sandwiches (sausage, egg, english muffin). Typically, soon as I open the lid and start dropping cold food on it, the previous griddle would start to warp (minimal at lower temps), today, it stayed flat. Open / close lid, added more food, nada, no change in shape.

The real test will be this weekend when we do "smash burgers" and will heat the griddle up to 450.

I get the basics of heating metals and such but never did much in-depth studies. I believe heating to 490 degrees has helped in tempering the griddle so maybe my warping days are over...

I'll keep you posted...

Final Update:

The 2nd griddle seems to be working out. Did some higher temp cooking on it tonight (about 400 degrees). No warping experienced during the cook. *thumbs up*

For any griddle buyers, my advice, get a can of Buzzywax and follow their directions on how to season the griddle. All in all I did a total of 4 coats of Buzzywax, after each application I let it bake for 1 hour at 500 degrees.

Final Update:

The 2nd griddle seems to be working out. Did some higher temp cooking on it tonight (about 400 degrees). No warping experienced during the cook. *thumbs up*

For any griddle buyers, my advice, get a can of Buzzywax and follow their directions on how to season the griddle. All in all I did a total of 4 coats of Buzzywax, after each application I let it bake for 1 hour at 500 degrees.
Happy to hear it worked out for you. I used the same product using same process but mine warped evidently during the process :( I had grates removed when seasoning. pic is a few days later while cooking steak sandwiches so a bit dirty. let us know if it stays good for you. If so I’ll be reaching out to CS and perhaps buying more Buzzywax

Attachments

• FDE24AB8-681E-4875-BCFE-E4E1C4586411.jpeg
    FDE24AB8-681E-4875-BCFE-E4E1C4586411.jpeg
    891.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Happy to hear it worked out for you. I used the same product using same process but mine warped evidently during the process :( I had grates removed when seasoning. pic is a few days later while cooking steak sandwiches so a bit dirty. let us know if it stays good for you. If so I’ll be reaching out to CS and perhaps buying more Buzzywax

@sck77 So... The griddle for the most part has worked out. What I've found is the griddle needs to preheat at your desired temperature for at least 15 minutes past when the grill hits it to reduce warping. The key word here is reduce as I'm still plagued with warping. However, if I do not allow for extended warming up, I find 99.9% of the time the griddle will warp a few seconds or so after placing anything cold on it.

Also, you may want to run through the process again as the griddle in the photo you shared looks like it does coming out of the box. See below, this is how it should look after being seasoned (excuse the dog hair - left it out overnight)
Griddle.jpg

If I had to do this over, I would have skipped this purchase and save until I could buy a proper flat top grill, like the Camp Chef, which is on my "to purchase".

Thanks and good luck!
-David

@sck77 So... The griddle for the most part has worked out. What I've found is the griddle needs to preheat at your desired temperature for at least 15 minutes past when the grill hits it to reduce warping. The key word here is reduce as I'm still plagued with warping. However, if I do not allow for extended warming up, I find 99.9% of the time the griddle will warp a few seconds or so after placing anything cold on it.

Also, you may want to run through the process again as the griddle in the photo you shared looks like it does coming out of the box. See below, this is how it should look after being seasoned (excuse the dog hair - left it out overnight)
View attachment 3459

If I had to do this over, I would have skipped this purchase and save until I could buy a proper flat top grill, like the Camp Chef, which is on my "to purchase".

Thanks and good luck!
-David
Thanks David. The photo I shared didn’t do the seasoning justice. I do have to say it is much much darker in person. That aside I reached out to CS and they shipped me a new one a couple weeks back. Turns out being just as warped out of the box before seasoning. I offered to send the new one back for them and keep the already seasoned one. I honestly paid no attention to the flatness when I first purchased the griddle - pulled the griddle out and popped it in to begin the seasoning process. Likely was an issue from the get go. Anyway still retains heat pretty evenly.... just makes the eggs run...

I was going to get the griddle for my Bull but RecTec sold out of them, I guess lucky me as shortly after they released them the warping complaints started to show up. I have a griddle for my Webber Q one of the longer original ones that goes across the back that aren't available anymore and plenty of cast iron skillets to use.

This is all highly disappointing. I have spent all day seasoning the RT griddle to perfection for the RT 700. Thing looks and feels nice. Anticipating a lot of good food regardless of whether it eventually warps or not but will chime in here on this thread if problems arise (or don't).

Welp, after many months of cooking on a taco, I finally pulled the trigger on a real griddle. Ordered the FTG600, should be here next week and can't wait to get cooking on it.

Anyone in the Las Vegas, NV area want 2x RT flat top griddles (FREE), come get them and they are yours.
-David.

Lodge makes a griddle pretty cheap. But the whole thing about flat tops is flipping and working the food because everything cooks so fast. Owning the 700 I know if your lookin your not cookin. The temp drops fast when the lid is open. Unlike a free standing griddle where you have a direct flame under the steel, your dealing with a convection heat with a pellet grill that needs the lid closed to hold that heat.

Lodge makes a griddle pretty cheap. But the whole thing about flat tops is flipping and working the food because everything cooks so fast. Owning the 700 I know if your lookin your not cookin. The temp drops fast when the lid is open. Unlike a free standing griddle where you have a direct flame under the steel, your dealing with a convection heat with a pellet grill that needs the lid closed to hold that heat.
Sort of..............unless you use one of these.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back