Newbie in MN - grinding noise?

KM590

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hi all! We just got the stampede last week. Did the initial burn and noticed an almost grinding or rattling type noise. I think it is when the auger is going but is it really supposed to be that loud!? It makes it difficult to enjoy being outside when it is running which would really take away from my excitement of owning this beauty. I gave a call to customer service and he mentioned that some noise was normal, suggested I remove all the pellets and see if I can find where the noise is coming from - today’s task! Anyone else have an issue with this kind of noise? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Hi all! We just got the stampede last week. Did the initial burn and noticed an almost grinding or rattling type noise. I think it is when the auger is going but is it really supposed to be that loud!? It makes it difficult to enjoy being outside when it is running which would really take away from my excitement of owning this beauty. I gave a call to customer service and he mentioned that some noise was normal, suggested I remove all the pellets and see if I can find where the noise is coming from - today’s task! Anyone else have an issue with this kind of noise? Any suggestions are appreciated!
The auger does make noise but I wouldn't say to the point of distracting from conversation. Check the hopper. Let us know if you find something that doesn't belong. ??

The fan makes the most noise on my grill, if you get closer to it you can hear the faint on and off sound of the auger motor and occasionally I get a pop or snap noise from the auger when it chops up a longer pellet but never any grinding type noises.

I have a 700 and the auger never makes any loud noises. The fan is louder and cuts on and off at times. If it is as loud as you say, I would call RT, maybe something broke. They will work with you and make it right.

Maybe video some and then we can tell for sure...
I didn’t get a chance to clean out the hopper yet but hopefully tonight and I’ll take some video. Thanks for the reply!

I have a 700 and the auger never makes any loud noises. The fan is louder and cuts on and off at times. If it is as loud as you say, I would call RT, maybe something broke. They will work with you and make it right.
Good to know, it seemed out of place but wasn’t sure. I’ve already talked to them once and they suggested getting the hopper cleaned out and running it to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. I’m hoping to do that tonight. Thanks for the reply!

The fan makes the most noise on my grill, if you get closer to it you can hear the faint on and off sound of the auger motor and occasionally I get a pop or snap noise from the auger when it chops up a longer pellet but never any grinding type noises.
I was hoping this noise isn’t normal. It’s definitely louder than the fan. Do you have the RT590 as well? Hoping to look into it more into the noise tonight. Thanks for the reply!

I have a 590, and my new Auger motor is quiet as can be. I may here something faintly rotating, but you shouldn't have people turning around asking what the hell that noise is!

I am no expert by far. Almost sounds like some type of vibration noise. If you can clean out the hopper of all the pellets and then run the unit until all the pellets are out of the auger tube, maybe you can then hear where that sound is coming from?

Here is a video from tonight of the noise.
View attachment 3585
That definitely sounds like its coming from the auger motor, and should not be making that sound. Agree with @cookingjnj though, id take the pellets out just to have a listen, but thats not pellet related. I'd call RT and let them know your motor is making a very funny vibrating noise when its rotating and they'll get one out fast to you.

Only thing I heard in your video is the normal noise from the fan and twice I heard what sounds like a pellet getting broken up as it goes through the auger, that's normal too if your pellets are longer than 1 inch.

I don't have a stampede, but I have never heard the high pitched whining/vibrating noise in the video. I can hear the usual fan noises and the occasional pellet grind/pop.

By George you have crickets!
Yeah that is not normal. Sounds like a fan didn't get some grease.
Send that to RT if you haven't already.
On the good side you have 4 years for the part to break completely!

In case any one was curious, after playing phone tag with CS, finally went through diagnostics. They’re sending out a new auger motor, here’s hoping it fixes things! In the mean time, got some St. Louis ribs ready to go tomorrow!

In case any one was curious, after playing phone tag with CS, finally went through diagnostics. They’re sending out a new auger motor, here’s hoping it fixes things! In the mean time, got some St. Louis ribs ready to go tomorrow!
Good deal, smooth sailing from here brother.

Just got my 590 today and it's doing this same exact thing. Thanks for posting that video. Really helped.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back