No Panic...We’re Smokin’ Ribs in Charleston, SC on the Bull

RxColt

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I decided this weekend was a great time to step up my smoking technique. While the Gov has ordered evacuation of the coastal counties in SC (hurricane Dorian), it APPEARS that it’ll be another blow-by...but you never know and we wish everyone a safe outcome.
*I’ve recently spent a lot of time researching this forum in an effort to improve my skills. Let me say “thank you” to all the people and the advice they have given even if not specifically attributed.
*After 2 years I figured it was time to calibrate my probes as well as the offset and both were done rather easily with straight forward advice from this forum (used ice/water meth).
*DW loves baby back ribs and although the the add-on sticker (HT grocery) says they are, the Smithfield label states Extra Meaty Pork Back Ribs. One of the 2 racks looks much larger (see pics) and let me know your thoughts. I am NO expert and not sure what I was actually dealing with, one rack may be spare ribs?
*The first rack’s membrane came off perfectly but the 2nd rack was hand-to-hand combat. I felt the same frustration that Tom H. posted on 9/1/19 (I’m almost done with ribs).
*I was planning on the 2’-2’-1’ method, but knowing that I may have to switch to the
3-2-1 if needed. Using NU2SMOKE’s guidelines I cooked @ 225 for 2+ hours until 160 then wrapped till around 195 internal temp. I let them sit for 15 mins and they were better than the stuff that killed Elvis!
*I did use a rub from this forum (can’t find post) brown sugar, paprika, onion/garlic pwdr, salt, pepper. Spritzed (apple juice/apple cider vin 1:1) ever 40 mins then
brushed on Sweet Baby Rays (3:1 w water) when wrapped.
3822A440-67FE-4ABC-9303-E745F0B37B54.jpeg
BAF04F36-0941-4DDB-A971-23E7BAE37AE0.jpeg
50529B70-6D12-4670-B92D-E6F9A051EAE5.jpeg
69C0A7CE-FBBC-4701-AAF5-E6ED8558FC1E.jpeg

Nice ribs. Looks like you had a grate cook. Any leftovers, feel free to send this way. Hahaha. From the pictures, they do look like back ribs.

From my phone they do look meaty, but look narrow like Babybacks... The spareribs I get here seem alot wider than those... Good job on the cook !

I decided this weekend was a great time to step up my smoking technique. While the Gov has ordered evacuation of the coastal counties in SC (hurricane Dorian), it APPEARS that it’ll be another blow-by...but you never know and we wish everyone a safe outcome.
*I’ve recently spent a lot of time researching this forum in an effort to improve my skills. Let me say “thank you” to all the people and the advice they have given even if not specifically attributed.
*After 2 years I figured it was time to calibrate my probes as well as the offset and both were done rather easily with straight forward advice from this forum (used ice/water meth).
*DW loves baby back ribs and although the the add-on sticker (HT grocery) says they are, the Smithfield label states Extra Meaty Pork Back Ribs. One of the 2 racks looks much larger (see pics) and let me know your thoughts. I am NO expert and not sure what I was actually dealing with, one rack may be spare ribs?
*The first rack’s membrane came off perfectly but the 2nd rack was hand-to-hand combat. I felt the same frustration that Tom H. posted on 9/1/19 (I’m almost done with ribs).
*I was planning on the 2’-2’-1’ method, but knowing that I may have to switch to the
3-2-1 if needed. Using NU2SMOKE’s guidelines I cooked @ 225 for 2+ hours until 160 then wrapped till around 195 internal temp. I let them sit for 15 mins and they were better than the stuff that killed Elvis!
*I did use a rub from this forum (can’t find post) brown sugar, paprika, onion/garlic pwdr, salt, pepper. Spritzed (apple juice/apple cider vin 1:1) ever 40 mins then
brushed on Sweet Baby Rays (3:1 w water) when wrapped.View attachment 1154View attachment 1155View attachment 1156View attachment 1157

I wish I could like this more than once! Man those ribs look great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back