Stampede Not happy with lid

my gap/seal all around the lid imo is very good. its consistent and tight. looks just like Dunerzr photos... Maybe there is a way for you to adjust it Cody? I would call the boys at Rec Tec too, im certain that they will make it right.

On the topic of placing some additional material/tape seal around the lid, I'm still up in the air about it. Haven't done it yet. I am noticing some discoloration at the top where lid is connected to the SS body. Its not bad, and I figure I can clean it with some Barkeepers Friend if it really gets unsightly. I do have this saved in my Prime cart...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1QKCR2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A262TPPYXMWGNT&psc=1

This is what I used on my lid:

https://www.amazon.com/LavaLock-Per...4EE3QTZ8YGG&psc=1&refRID=P5NEKQDJ44EE3QTZ8YGG

Unfortunately it does not have enough give to seal my gap on the bottom left corner. That gap is essentially the same, since the gasket raised the rest of the lid and did not compress as much as I hoped. I may need to find some sort of rope, more like an oven gasket, that is thicker and more compressible. I have also read of some people using an RTV caulk.

Colby, We got our stampede for Christmas this year. We have used approx 2 bags of the REC Tec premium pellets so far. Our lid fits equally as bad as yours or worse. To add insult to injury the smoke has totally discolored the SS edges of our grill.

I got mine in August and yeah it's yucky looking already.

My Bull has a big leak on the door across the top. I bought some silicone strip seal that has a V shape. I think its a "smoke seal" and is about 7/16" wide and has very thin flaps. I think its this Pemko S44 strip.

I haven't gotten around to installing it, since I'd have to do some cleaning and I think I'd remove the self-adhesive tape (250F limit) they come with and bond with a high temp silicone RTV.

https://www.craftmasterhardware.com...MI9uLmy8Wf6AIVF9VkCh1c4wYVEAQYCCABEgKm4PD_BwE

A lot of people (myself included) use this, with great success. I think it might be more temperature resistant:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1QKCR2

Yes, thanks. I believe these are natural wool. Wool will burn at 1100F. Silicone rubber gets brittle over time.

But I was worried about those wool gaskets fitting in the gap. Can you provide any tips on how it fits up? Did you get the 1/4" thick or the 1/8" thick Lavalock gasket?

Yes, thanks. I believe these are natural wool. Wool will burn at 1100F. Silicone rubber gets brittle over time.

But I was worried about those wool gaskets fitting in the gap. Can you provide any tips on how it fits up? Did you get the 1/4" thick or the 1/8" thick Lavalock gasket?
Actually I think they are made of Nomex, which is handles heat very well.

I got the 1/4" and it seals fine. Sort of compresses the seal as needed

Actually I think they are made of Nomex, which is handles heat very well.

I got the 1/4" and it seals fine. Sort of compresses the seal as needed

Thanks again. Yes, I see that they have Nomex as well as wool Lavalock. I ordered some 1/2 x 1/8" self adhesive Nomex. My door is very tight on the sides and maybe 1/16" gap on the top.

Follow up: sorry that this is a delayed response. But I contacted RecTec with pictures of my lid issues and they immediately sent me out a new one! Unbelievable customer service! Thanks to all the responses!

Mine looks pretty bad after just 3 weeks. I knew the stainless steel would show more than black powdercoat before I bought it, but it bugs me more than I figured. I want it to look nice after what I paid for it. I sealed the all weather vents which helped the back of the grill, I'm thinking of sealing the lid as well. It will probably help when it gets cold too.
What did you use for the vents? Pics?

I have had my stampede for about 6 weeks and love it and what it is capable of. However, since I got it out of the box I have noticed how poorly the lid actually closes. It leaves about a 1/4” gap all around the lid which I’m sure is decreasing the efficiency and it also is causing a lot of discoloring to the stainless around the lid. I know this may seem a little silly but I just wanted to check if this is common. Also, is it worth looking I to some sort of gasket to close the gap or any other options. It takes a very long time to reach 500 degrees, I’m not sure if this is related. I have attached a couple pictures to show. Thanks for any thoughts and ideas. I’m definitely not happy with this issue.
Did the new lid help with the temperature problems? It takes my 590 so long to get to 475

Just put my Ret Tec Stampede together... Lid fits perfectly. I noticed it does allow for some adjustment where the lid attaches.. Is that new?

View attachment 897
Have a look at this thread: https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/lavalock.2606/

There seems to be two schools of thought: 1. If ReqTeq built it, it must be right. 2. Some modifications can help the 590.

Gasket around the door cannot hurt and cosmetically it certainly will help, but not too sure how much it actually effects the performance. Pretty easy to do.

I often smoke on windy days and the wind vents look to be a good addition (debate about that as well), but they need to be sealed to the barrel if you don't want smoke and grease stains on the barrel.

My $0.02 worth.
I have had my stampede for about 6 weeks and love it and what it is capable of. However, since I got it out of the box I have noticed how poorly the lid actually closes. It leaves about a 1/4” gap all around the lid which I’m sure is decreasing the efficiency and it also is causing a lot of discoloring to the stainless around the lid. I know this may seem a little silly but I just wanted to check if this is common. Also, is it worth looking I to some sort of gasket to close the gap or any other options. It takes a very long time to reach 500 degrees, I’m not sure if this is related. I have attached a couple pictures to show. Thanks for any thoughts and ideas. I’m definitely not happy with this issue.
Sorry Dunerzr the above was supposed to go to Colby.

The all weather vents (wind vents) can be sealed with the Red High temp RTV gasket goo (auto supply stores always have it) or the same gasket material used for the lid. I used the red goo and it worked. Search "All Weather vents" in the 590 forum and you probably will get numerous hits.

The all weather vents (wind vents)
I though the main purpose for the all weather vents was to prevent rain from running down the hood and in through the stock vent holes, therefore the add on vents prevent that. I've never heard of them being described as "wind vents' and I'm trying to understand how they'd actually effect wind :unsure:

I though the main purpose for the all weather vents was to prevent rain from running down the hood and in through the stock vent holes, therefore the add on vents prevent that. I've never heard of them being described as "wind vents' and I'm trying to understand how they'd actually effect wind :unsure:
Yes they are "All weather vents" per the website. Probably the biggest benefit is keeping rain out of the barrel of the grill. They also seem to help in cross-winds, but then again I could be fooling myself. Seattle is not know as windy but it is seldom we don't have a breeze except during the hot spells when we could really use one.

In all reality that first replay was sent while I was trying to delete it primarily due to the incorrect description.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back