Not happy with lid

Colby giles

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I have had my stampede for about 6 weeks and love it and what it is capable of. However, since I got it out of the box I have noticed how poorly the lid actually closes. It leaves about a 1/4” gap all around the lid which I’m sure is decreasing the efficiency and it also is causing a lot of discoloring to the stainless around the lid. I know this may seem a little silly but I just wanted to check if this is common. Also, is it worth looking I to some sort of gasket to close the gap or any other options. It takes a very long time to reach 500 degrees, I’m not sure if this is related. I have attached a couple pictures to show. Thanks for any thoughts and ideas. I’m definitely not happy with this issue.

Attachments

• F5FDE9DC-B2A8-4979-9F1B-9E667D864CE5.jpeg
    F5FDE9DC-B2A8-4979-9F1B-9E667D864CE5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 401
  • 8BA00D84-332E-4582-B644-7C699D5A487C.jpeg
    8BA00D84-332E-4582-B644-7C699D5A487C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 319
Is it common? Mine does it too, though maybe a tad less than 1/4, but only fractions. I've read elsewhere that the "leakage" is part of the airflow design intended to act in concert with the vents in the rear so that the smoke flows all around the body of the chamber. That sounds both plausible and like a lame excuse to me. You can buy fire resistant insulation/seal material in various thicknesses so if it really annoys you that's an alternative.

As for the temp thing, they advertise/comment about 500 being the top temp in some places, 600 in others. I've had mine up to 546 but that was it. It did get up to 500 in close to a straight time line when set on "ful" for target, but that last 46 degrees was slower, and when the lid was opened to load or check (see my post on pizza) it was slow to recover. I believe part of that is intentional as the control system slows down fuel/air feed as it approaches target temp to avoid overshooting. If the discoloration around the lid bothers you, you're not going to be happy with what happens at the bottom of the housing either if you run it at those high temps regularly due to enlarged flame hitting and causing discoloration of the sides.

@Colby giles that lid looks about right to me, but if you're really concerned I would send Rec Tec an email with the pictures you've posted above.

I've read several times in the past where Rec Tec has replaced lids that didn't close as they should. The customer service from Rec Tec grills is amazing.

As for your question about sealing the lid, I would recommend you to check out our thread Should I seal my Rec Tec grill? Answered!

Thanks Uncle Bob and Mike. The asthetics of it kinda bothered me at first but that’s just because it looks so good out of the box. It’s good to know that it’s not just mine. Thanks again

Colby, We got our stampede for Christmas this year. We have used approx 2 bags of the REC Tec premium pellets so far. Our lid fits equally as bad as yours or worse. To add insult to injury the smoke has totally discolored the SS edges of our grill.

• Sad
Reactions: Kim
Colby, We got our stampede for Christmas this year. We have used approx 2 bags of the REC Tec premium pellets so far. Our lid fits equally as bad as yours or worse. To add insult to injury the smoke has totally discolored the SS edges of our grill.
Have you reported it to Rectec? Mine was severely discolored too but some barkeepers friend cleaner did a great job. To me it just seems like the lid should fit a lot better. I’ll probably reach out to rectec to see their thoughts.

I will have to try some of the beekeepers friend. Did you use the liquid or power kind? No, I did not contact RT yet. I've been having trouble with the WIFI. It worked initially now all of a sudden I cant connect. I was going to call and ask about both at the same time.

I will have to try some of the beekeepers friend. Did you use the liquid or power kind? No, I did not contact RT yet. I've been having trouble with the WIFI. It worked initially now all of a sudden I cant connect. I was going to call and ask about both at the same time.
I use the powder. I have same issues with My WiFI as well. I delete the grill from my app each time I use it and set up as new grill and then it works. I kept it plugged in the last time it was not in use and when I went to use it again a few days later the WiFi did work right away. Let me know if that helps you or what they say about it.

I had a similar issue with my RT-700, you can read about it here: https://www.rectecforum.com/threads/fit-finish.230/
Customer service determined that mine was warped, as the gaps were inconsistent. They did state that the lid was NOT supposed to be air-tight. Regardless, they shipped out a new lid to me and all is good...still a small gap, but it's a consistent gap.

I had a similar issue with my RT-700, you can read about it here: https://www.rectecforum.com/threads/fit-finish.230/
Customer service determined that mine was warped, as the gaps were inconsistent. They did state that the lid was NOT supposed to be air-tight. Regardless, they shipped out a new lid to me and all is good...still a small gap, but it's a consistent gap.
I don't believe I've seen a customer service team this good anywhere else. RecTec is awesome!

Just ordered the Stampede. Seeing a lot of posts about ill fitting lids and suggested fixes to the problem. My opinion is that you shouldn’t have to fix a brand new grill. My concern is rain and the smoke vents on the model. Although told by a very helpful customer service rep that it’s not an issue, reviews indicate otherwise. Didn’t realize there were smoke vent covers until reading reviews. Thinking I should order them. Any thoughts out there? Hoping I made the right decision with this grill purchase. I’ve been researching quite a bit, and it seemed like the best choice.

Denise, first, welcome on board.
I would suggest that you be cautious about putting too much stock in online reviews, good and bad. Yes, there have been some complaints about lid fit, not just on the Stampede, but that's our focus here. Some of the complaints (the more helpful ones) have pictures attached and in some cases it's a legitimate complaint, in others it's a lack of understanding of what's reasonable to expect. These are made in separate pieces of stamped steel coupled with being dissimilar metals which doesn't lead to a "bank vault door" fit. Which is okay as it isn't necessary. In order for fuel to burn, air to move, and smoke to "caress" the food, air movement, both in and out, is necessary. In the case of the Stampede a fair share of that comes from around the door to housing fit. RT claims that's how it was designed and that's plausible, but cynicism is understandable. As noted above, some folks just feel the need to "do something about it" and get some gasket material for the door. They usually feel good about their choice/modification in reports, but then that could also be confirmation bias toward their beliefs. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of us have used the Stampede "as is" and enjoyed them immensely. Like I said earlier, there have been a few, very few in my judgement, legitimate fit complaints, but hardly "a lot". It's just that we don't have visibility on the total spectrum of owners to judge if this is a widespread issue. In a large part it comes down to individual temperament. Some people are difficult to please and are very vocal, in contrast to those who choose to enjoy what something is or does and use it accordingly. Outdoor cooking with burning wood product and animal fat is not going to contribute to a pristine working environment. Folks who would put a overly large priority on that point maybe should stick to a more controlled indoor environment. Outdoor cookers are an enthusiast and venturesome lot......……..fun folks to be around and exchange ideas with. Enjoy the ride.

Forgot the vent covers. I bought them with my initial purchase and quite frankly I don't see as much value as I imagined.............that's on me and my expectations. They do work, and while I don't have to smoke out in the rain as a fair portion of my patio is covered, I don't think that rain entry is all that much of an issue unless it's a torrential downpour. Personally, in that kind of situation I'd be more worried about the electronics getting harmed than the food.

Last edited:
Denise, first, welcome on board.
I would suggest that you be cautious about putting too much stock in online reviews, good and bad. Yes, there have been some complaints about lid fit, not just on the Stampede, but that's our focus here. Some of the complaints (the more helpful ones) have pictures attached and in some cases it's a legitimate complaint, in others it's a lack of understanding of what's reasonable to expect. These are made in separate pieces of stamped steel coupled with being dissimilar metals which doesn't lead to a "bank vault door" fit. Which is okay as it isn't necessary. In order for fuel to burn, air to move, and smoke to "caress" the food, air movement, both in and out, is necessary. In the case of the Stampede a fair share of that comes from around the door to housing fit. RT claims that's how it was designed and that's plausible, but cynicism is understandable. As noted above, some folks just feel the need to "do something about it" and get some gasket material for the door. They usually feel good about their choice/modification in reports, but then that could also be confirmation bias toward their beliefs. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of us have used the Stampede "as is" and enjoyed them immensely. Like I said earlier, there have been a few, very few in my judgement, legitimate fit complaints, but hardly "a lot". It's just that we don't have visibility on the total spectrum of owners to judge if this is a widespread issue. In a large part it comes down to individual temperament. Some people are difficult to please and are very vocal, in contrast to those who choose to enjoy what something is or does and use it accordingly. Outdoor cooking with burning wood product and animal fat is not going to contribute to a pristine working environment. Folks who would put a overly large priority on that point maybe should stick to a more controlled indoor environment. Outdoor cookers are an enthusiast and venturesome lot......……..fun folks to be around and exchange ideas with. Enjoy the ride.

Forgot the vent covers. I bought them with my initial purchase and quite frankly I don't see as much value as I imagined.............that's on me and my expectations. They do work, and while I don't have to smoke out in the rain as a fair portion of my patio is covered, I don't think that rain entry is all that much of an issue unless it's a torrential downpour. Personally, in that kind of situation I'd be more worried about the electronics getting harmed than the food.
Thank you for the welcoming reply, and very helpful information. We’re new to the world of pellet smoker grills, so not really sure what to anticipate. I actually changed my order at the last minute to the Bull ..... for various reasons, but mostly the capacity. After all the enthusiasm observed on videos and reading the forum posts, I can’t wait for this ride to begin!

Call rectec they will guide you my bfg lid was warped they sent me a new lid fits perfect now their customer service is fantastic i wouldnt go anywhere else

In a large part it comes down to individual temperament. Some people are difficult to please and are very vocal, in contrast to those who choose to enjoy what something is or does and use it accordingly.

First post, can't decide between the Trailblazer or Stampede. Been smoking for some time with charcoal cabinet and vertical smokers and would have a problem with fit and finish (lid not sealing) When it comes to high-end smokers, it's all about sealing off everywhere to first, regulate and control temp through the vents, stacks etc and fuel and second to contain smoke. With that said I'm not in the camp with the quote above. If I spend $1k or more on a smoker I would expect the fit and finish to be on par, and my "cynicism" would be understandably founded. I will keep researching pellet grills and Rec Tec to see if this is the norm because I know I would be calling customer service to address the lid sealing issue. My friend just added the Trailblazer to his arsenal of smokers and the lid fitment was perfect, I would expect that of any of the RT models...

Just put my Ret Tec Stampede together... Lid fits perfectly. I noticed it does allow for some adjustment where the lid attaches.. Is that new?

20190723_204913.jpg

My whole grill is almost all brown from the smoke leaks. :eek:

My whole grill is almost all brown from the smoke leaks. :eek:

Mine looks pretty bad after just 3 weeks. I knew the stainless steel would show more than black powdercoat before I bought it, but it bugs me more than I figured. I want it to look nice after what I paid for it. I sealed the all weather vents which helped the back of the grill, I'm thinking of sealing the lid as well. It will probably help when it gets cold too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back