Off Set temp Question

ndfan6464

Active Military
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Alright alright alright, so off to start cooking some ribs today and to put my new Thermoworks Signal through the test today and figured I'd try to get the smoker dialed in with it.

It's been one hell of challenge to get this dialled in. It's either to high or to low at every setting.

So my question is. It takes about 3 turns of the knob to make 1%. Is each turn a 1/2%, 1/4%, 1/3% etc etc?

Its driving this OCD guy insane right now

All over the road.

See the graph and weather screenshot. Wind isnt a factor since the smoker is in my shop. Besides there is little to no wind period today outside

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190803-112012_ThermoWorks BBQ.jpg
    Screenshot_20190803-112012_ThermoWorks BBQ.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot_20190803-112124_WeatherBug.jpg
    Screenshot_20190803-112124_WeatherBug.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 20190803_112330.jpg
    20190803_112330.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 84
This is a chart of when I did my mapping of my grill. At no time will you see that the grate temp in the middle to be exact inline with the set temp. Since we are basically a convection type of heat the temp can and will swing from moment to moment.

Anything within 20 deg for a couple of min is no cause for alarm....if it was swinging 50 deg too high or too low for extended periods of time that would be a problem but from my chart you can see that was not happening.

I am happy with the way mine is, does perform and the food is showing it.

Let me know if you have any questions about the chart...it was a chore to do ...lol

Attachments

• REC TEC BULL TEMP PERFORMANCE.xlsx
    13.6 KB · Views: 156
Yeah I wouldnt be worried about a 5 degree +/- swing. Use to that and more with stick cooking.. I agree with center being hotter then outer temps. But if I can dial the center in then when it came to outer zones it wouldn't be to far off...

See the pic as to your question of where I out the air thermometer... I think next week end I'll bust iut all my meteres (10) in total and map the entire grate out hahah....

Attachments

• 20190803_141047.jpg
    20190803_141047.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 88
So far its maintaining about a 3 degree difference which is in my eyes is damn good.. I have a +1 on the Offset.

But still would like to know what if any percentage there is when the dial will roll three clicks before it changes the percentage

Attachments

• 20190803_142352.jpg
    20190803_142352.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 84
If you are maintaining that close I would not even bother going any further with it.... just have fun cooking and send me some...LOL

I wouldnt be trying to dial in the center because the meat doesnt just sit in the center ...even in your pic you meats are out of center....I would be looking at the temp average left to right and if the temp across is reasonable to the set temp...your good to go

Come on by anytime brother.. well feast like kings hahah...

I agree with what you say totally...I like where it's at, finally and with me being OCD it doesnt help haha... but I'll run a test by doing a temp grid like you did. Curious as to what the temp map will look like now that center is reading within parameters, well my parameters that is...

Definitely having fun. If you ain't having fun in anything you do what's the dang point

Alright alright alright, so off to start cooking some ribs today and to put my new Thermoworks Signal through the test today and figured I'd try to get the smoker dialed in with it.

It's been one hell of challenge to get this dialled in. It's either to high or to low at every setting.

So my question is. It takes about 3 turns of the knob to make 1%. Is each turn a 1/2%, 1/4%, 1/3% etc etc?

Its driving this OCD guy insane right now
Are you asking about the meat probes they get adjusted by degrees° of temperature , but the internal one is in percent% .

That is in percent... I for got this when adjusting mine... So if you drop it 5 for example..you didn't drop it 5°, you dropped it 5%

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back