Off topic - Turntable enthusiasts

dsandersus

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hello RecTecr's!

Do we have any audio enthusiasts here? If so, I'm looking for suggestions / recommendations on turntables. We have a plethora of vinyl that has amassed over the years and our turntable is "no worky". I'm looking at picking up a turntable and haven't shopped for one in many years.

I've been looking at the following models and would love your input:

Uturn Orbit line
Fluance RT82/83
Denon DP-300F
Marantz TT42
Music Hall MMF-1.3

Anyone familiar with the above and / or alternate models with similar quality / performance without breaking the bank?

Thanks!
-David

@dsandersus a turntable is something I've had on my list to buy for some time. Just love the sound of vinyl records.

I can't help much in your search but I'm certainly interested in hearing what you have. Maybe someday I'll upgrade my old phonograph to a turntable. :D

@dsandersus a turntable is something I've had on my list to buy for some time. Just love the sound of vinyl records.

I can't help much in your search but I'm certainly interested in hearing what you have. Maybe someday I'll upgrade my old phonograph to a turntable. :D
Hey Mike

I'll be happy to share what we pickup, once we've pulled the trigger. We have narrowed it down to a Fluance RT83, Uturn Orbit or the Pro-Ject Essential III.

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/essential-iii/

https://www.fluance.com/rt83w-reference-high-fidelity-vinyl-turntable-natural-walnut

https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-plus-turntable

I'm leaning towards the Uturn Orbit plus, the wife likes the RT, so.... that might be the one. ?

-David

Last edited:
We decided on the Fluance RT82. Should be here Monday.

We visited a local record shop and found some good stuff in their $5 bins. Can't wait to spin these up.

20200208_131107_copy_1008x490.jpg

Glad you went with the Fluance as that was the one that caught my eye as well. Beautiful turntable indeed.

What was your deciding factor on the RT82 @dsandersus?

@Mike bang for buck really. The Fluance had features that we wanted / liked over the others we looked at.

Most notable are:
  • Speed adjust dial for 33 / 45 vinyls. The Uturn and Pro-Ject require manual belt adjustment (pull off one pulley, place on another). While not a huge deal, we felt it would be an annoyance.
  • Automatic turn off at album end
  • Headshell is detachable for simple upgrading with higher quality headshells/cartridges
  • Anti-skate adjustment dial
All three were similar in price and warranty.

Last edited:
Man I really shouldn't have got started with this thread... I've spent most all weekend now looking at different Fluance models and other turntables as well as receivers. ?

Man I really shouldn't have got started with this thread... I've spent most all weekend now looking at different Fluance models and other turntables as well as receivers. ?
It’s a disease my friend... borderline an addiction. ?

We upgraded our Home Theater setup, put up a 75” 4k QLED, Marantz SR6014 AVR. Now we’ve caught the vinyl bug... Lucky that my wife is infected with the same bugs or I’d be in deep ?.

If you’re in the market for a new turntable, I highly suggest the Fluance line. Id forgotten just how wonderful vinyl sounds. Soothing and music to my ears. Spun up some Queen, Bob Seger, Journey, Dire Straits... I’m going to be up all night...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back