Ordered a Bull, now where to put it - indiana

anklerep

Hello...happy to say I just ordered a Bull but I have some options on where to put it.

option 1 is the garage and pull out every time I want to use it. While this is probably best for the grill for weather conditions, it will take up considerable room that is pretty precious in our situation with cars and lawn equipment. Can be done if needed.

option 2 is the deck. fully exposed to elements. I bought the grill cover and would use it of course to protect. My question is with humidity, will it affect the pellets in the hopper? I had a bad experience with a Green mountain where the pellets got wet then dried and was a complete mess leading to a whole new auger. Anyone have thoughts on the humidity affecting?

If the deck, would i also need to be concerned over winter?

Just getting prepared for the big delivery day!!

Thanks and looking forward to hearing thoughts?

David

Hi David. Congrats on your new cooker. You are going to love the Bull. I have the older version of the Bull, the 680. Basically the same cooker just a few different mostly cosmetic changes. I am in NJ which has very similar weather patterns as you have in IN. My 680 has sat out on my deck for the four years I have had the cooker. Originally I covered and uncovered before/after each cook. I have not covered the pit for quite a while now (I got lazy -- no real excuse). I do leave pellets in the hopper so it is ready to cook when I am ready. Probably bad omen, but i have never had any issues with water getting into the hopper or humidity effecting the pellets. One precaution I do take is to ensure it is not raining, and the pit is not wet when I load pellets into the hopper. I have used the unit in below zero temps, rain, snow, temps in the high 90 low 100 with high humidity. I have had no issues other than how those temps effect how long the pit takes to get to temp, or how low I can get with temps based on ambient temps, which would still happen if you kept it in a garage. I do have a retractable awning for the wet weather, but it is basically in the elements all the time. Hope this helps.

Hello...happy to say I just ordered a Bull but I have some options on where to put it.

option 1 is the garage and pull out every time I want to use it. While this is probably best for the grill for weather conditions, it will take up considerable room that is pretty precious in our situation with cars and lawn equipment. Can be done if needed.

option 2 is the deck. fully exposed to elements. I bought the grill cover and would use it of course to protect. My question is with humidity, will it affect the pellets in the hopper? I had a bad experience with a Green mountain where the pellets got wet then dried and was a complete mess leading to a whole new auger. Anyone have thoughts on the humidity affecting?

If the deck, would i also need to be concerned over winter?

Just getting prepared for the big delivery day!!

Thanks and looking forward to hearing thoughts?

David
Hey, welcome to rec tec. Great grills great customer service. I had the same questions you have. I would definitely put it on the deck. The elements won’t make any difference to the pellets I also got the cover I mostly use it and keeps it covered. You are in for a real treat. The food is great. Just cooking a pork butt, beef ribs and chicken thighs. Welcome aboard.

@anklerep welcome to RecTecForum and congrats on your new Rec Tec pellet grill. You've going to love it!

As for where to place it, the garage would be a great place but I too know how space is limited. That said, I wouldn't have any issues putting it on the deck and keeping it covered when not in use with the Rec Tec grill cover.

It's a great cover and does a very good job keeping the Rec Tec safe from the elements. I leave my Rec Tec RT-700 under my covered deck with a grill cover. While it's not in direct weather, it too has never had any issues with humidity or what small amounts of water that does get on it.

I've only had mine less than a month, but keep it out on my deck and covered when not in use. I use the RecTec cover. It fits a bit too tight and while pulling it off, carefully, the back edge of the hopper cover caused a six inch rip in the cover. I called RecTec and they sent me a new cover - no questions asked, so that is great customer service.

The cover is very thick and nice, so I don't doubt it will protect the Bull in all the weather we get in KC. I've not had any issues with moisture affecting my pellets and it has rained and been below freezing since I got it.

So, I'd keep it on the deck if I were you.

thanks for all the great responses... delivery today so ill get it together and out on the deck it goes!

thanks again everyone!

You are going to love your Bull! Makes beginners like me look good! We live in Savannah GA where we have lots of humidity and rain! Our Bull is on an open deck but the cover keeps it clean and nice and dry with no issues with moisture in the pellets! Happy smoking!

I live in East Central Indiana and keep my Bull, Matador and Bullseye on a covered deck and have never had problems with pellets. Congrats on the purchase and you will love the food off this cooker. Enjoy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back