Stampede Ordering a Stampede today

BL44

Hello all,

As the title says, I’m placing my order today. My question is, if my grill will be kept in the garage year-round, do I need a cover to keep moisture out of the pellets? This is my first pellet grill and I’m not certain how “fragile” the pellets can be. Am I also assuming correctly that pellets can stay in hopper even when not in use (only remove them if not grilling for an extended time)?

First...congratulations on a fine choice. I don't think you'll need a cover if it's garage kept. Mine stays outside, with a cover, and haven't had any problems at all. Some folks leave it out without a cover. I think you'd be ok

First...congratulations on a fine choice. I don't think you'll need a cover if it's garage kept. Mine stays outside, with a cover, and haven't had any problems at all. Some folks leave it out without a cover. I think you'd be ok
Thanks for the quick response! I have thought of another question. Should I invest in the front folding shelf? Would I regret not getting one?

You don't need a cover if stored out of the weather, front shelf is a nice item to have, I say a must have but others may disagree.

Hello all,

As the title says, I’m placing my order today. My question is, if my grill will be kept in the garage year-round, do I need a cover to keep moisture out of the pellets? This is my first pellet grill and I’m not certain how “fragile” the pellets can be. Am I also assuming correctly that pellets can stay in hopper even when not in use (only remove them if not grilling for an extended time)?
I didnt get one, most of mine are in the garage for easy access to the front of the house for neighborhood cooks. If your pellets get damaged from moisture, its not because your storing the grill in the garage without a cover.

You should be fine storing in the garage without a cover. I am one of those who keeps mine out in the elements without a cover and have not had an issue. As long as the hopper stays closed and the pellets are not subjected to direct water they should be good as well.

Yes for the shelf, skip the cover. You can always throw a sheet or something over it for dust.

Agree with Cutplug, Spring for the shelf.

Thanks for all the replies. It’s a “done deal” and was ordered this afternoon.....now the waiting game begins.

I was like a kid at Christmas waiting on mine. Glad for you!

Ordered mine Tuesday, got it Friday, doing burn in now. Came up to 200 quick, then dropped down to 160 and held for about 5 min then came right up to 440 or so, about 10 min after that it dropped to 400 on the dot hasn't moved since. Took a little while for the pellets to fill the tube but it didn't take long. Never touched it after I turned it on and turned the dial too 400. NICE!

Hello all,

Shelf over cover. I have a cover, use it infrequently. The shelf is a great addition.

Received a notice that my grill hit the shipping companies warehouse yesterday (just ordered my 590 on Saturday). Problem is the shipping company can’t deliver it until next Tuesday. Luckily they’re only an hour away so the wife and I are going on a road trip this morning to get my grill! I will be stopping at the grocery on the way home, doing the burn in and hopefully cooking some wonderful food for supper. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Perfect road trip, definitely take some pictures and capture the moment.

Update on my 590. I did the initial “burn in” (400 degrees for an hour). I also put my Thermopro dual probe inside (one on right side of grill and one on left) to see how “consistent” it was running. What I found was at 400 degrees on the smoker, my actual temps were 411 degrees on the left and 429 degrees on the right. I suppose there could be an issue with my Thermopro, but it’s always been reliable to date.

I have seen in another thread where someone put a “shield” on the hot side to help disperse the heat more evenly. Do you think I should worry about this much of a variation in temps?

I purchased the FRONT FOLDING SHELF RT-590 and regret buying it. Once installed, you lose about 3 inches of the shelf depth because of the way it attaches to the grill. Already knocked down a couple of aluminum trays because about 1/3 of the tray hangs off the edge of the shelf and you can easily bump them off the shelf. And if your food is not balanced in your tray, the tray may tilt and fall off. Really bad design...they could have made the shelf depth larger or could have provided a kit so it could be installed protruding away from the grill and not lose any of the shelf depth.

I hear you. I haven't had that problem on the Bull. For me, it's been a great accessory. ??

Last edited:
I purchased the FRONT FOLDING SHELF RT-590 and regret buying it. Once installed, you lose about 3 inches of the shelf depth because of the way it attaches to the grill. Already knocked down a couple of aluminum trays because about 1/3 of the tray hangs off the edge of the shelf and you can easily bump them off the shelf. And if your food is not balanced in your tray, the tray may tilt and fall off. Really bad design...they could have made the shelf depth larger or could have provided a kit so it could be installed protruding away from the grill and not lose any of the shelf depth.
Hi All I agree 110% the front shelf dept ,should be larger..
Dan

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back