Ouch

wildblue

Even at $1.99/lb, that's $8 of waste....

We'll see you tomorrow tasty brisket!

You kidd'en? my dog loves me when I smoke. LOL
Don't think smoke! I hate the waste on a chicken, I'm going to try Malcolm Reeds pulled chicken idea so I can get every scrap off that bird.
"Smok'em if Ya Gott'em"

Lots of full bellies though....

Finally getting chicken wings down I think. We've done them a few times, but could never get them how I wanted them. These were really good

The wings looks fantaastic....tell us how you did them please!!

Well, we've tried wings just about every way we could think of but could never get that good blend of smoke + crispy skin. We tried cranking the heat for a bit - that kinda worked, but didn't get much smoke and seemed to overcook them. We tried getting them 'almost done' and deep frying them. That was 'ok but greasy' until the cheap fryer crapped out halfway through. We put the rest under the broiler that day - again, just kinda ok.

Finally found something that works really really well: baking powder. So the rub is basically paprika, pepper, salt (your hickory smoked salt that you should have on hand) garlic powder, cayenne, cumin, chili powder, and baking powder. I'm not sure I can give you exact amounts.... I kinda dump stuff in until it feels right. Salt / pepper / garlic / chili / baking powder should all be about equal amounts, I go about half that 'part' on cumin because I'm not a fan, twice that 'part' on paprika, and the cayenne depends on how hot you want it.
Don't let the rub sit. I don't know what it is about the baking powder trick, but more time is not better. We did two batches like this over the weekend - the second batch for the later guests - but we prepped them all at the same time. The ones that sat in the fridge for a few hours had much more of a rubbery skin.
Your favorite 'chicken wood' at 225 until 165. I go between 225 and 250 depending on how much of a hurry I'm in, but it won't matter much. Usually takes about 90 mins.
I'm actually going to aim for more like 175 next time - the wings are almost too juicy at 165, and I feel like I can get a little more fat/connective tissue out going up to 175.

Well, we've tried wings just about every way we could think of but could never get that good blend of smoke + crispy skin. We tried cranking the heat for a bit - that kinda worked, but didn't get much smoke and seemed to overcook them. We tried getting them 'almost done' and deep frying them. That was 'ok but greasy' until the cheap fryer crapped out halfway through. We put the rest under the broiler that day - again, just kinda ok.

Finally found something that works really really well: baking powder. So the rub is basically paprika, pepper, salt (your hickory smoked salt that you should have on hand) garlic powder, cayenne, cumin, chili powder, and baking powder. I'm not sure I can give you exact amounts.... I kinda dump stuff in until it feels right. Salt / pepper / garlic / chili / baking powder should all be about equal amounts, I go about half that 'part' on cumin because I'm not a fan, twice that 'part' on paprika, and the cayenne depends on how hot you want it.
Don't let the rub sit. I don't know what it is about the baking powder trick, but more time is not better. We did two batches like this over the weekend - the second batch for the later guests - but we prepped them all at the same time. The ones that sat in the fridge for a few hours had much more of a rubbery skin.
Your favorite 'chicken wood' at 225 until 165. I go between 225 and 250 depending on how much of a hurry I'm in, but it won't matter much. Usually takes about 90 mins.
I'm actually going to aim for more like 175 next time - the wings are almost too juicy at 165, and I feel like I can get a little more fat/connective tissue out going up to 175.
Thank you! I am absolutely going to give it a try tomorrow. I will season just before it hits the pit so no waiting time. I shall keep you informed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back