Pastrami On, Round Two!

Gotbbq

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Brined 2, 6 lb points. Seasoned in the fridge for a day and a half. On the smoker now. Hopefully the fattiness of the point will make a juicy/fatty pastrami. Time will tell. I'll post pics when it gets light out. Is it really 5 am or 4 am? :unsure: Not a fan of daylight savings time, just sayin.

Sunrise

47F93DAD-BAF0-4CAA-BF46-4221D953B050.jpeg

Nice, been thinking of corned beef and pastrami with St. Patrick's coming up. I do a dry brine
but I know that Meathead at AR isn't a fan of it.
With the thickness of that meat your bringing must of been awhile. How many days did you go? just getting light here in the Great Northwest.
I do like more light at the end of the day but my body will adjust in few to DST.

Hi, I brined it for 7 days. I think it was enough. I let it sit For 1-2 days with pastrami seasoning uncovered in the fridge. It’s faster to do the flat but when cut for pastrami there is no fat. The point makes great pastrami. I am doing 2. One for tomorrow, one to freeze. I have found that an hour or more in the steamer makes it extra good.

Last edited:
Hi, I brined it for 7 days. I think it was enough. I let it sit For 1-2 days with pastrami seasoning uncovered in the fridge. It’s faster to do the flat but when cut for pastrami there is no fat. The point makes great pastrami. I am doing 2. One for tomorrow, one to freeze. I have found that an hour or more in the steamer makes it extra good.

Glad to see you make the comment about steaming. You've mentioned dissatisfaction with the previous attempt, but not the why. For my tastes in pastrami my game elevated when I learned to take the initial smoke to the stall naked, then move it to steam til tender. The texture ends up as close to a good Jewish deli as I can get it, and it slices on the machine very nicely.

Glad to see you make the comment about steaming. You've mentioned dissatisfaction with the previous attempt, but not the why. For my tastes in pastrami my game elevated when I learned to take the initial smoke to the stall naked, then move it to steam til tender. The texture ends up as close to a good Jewish deli as I can get it, and it slices on the machine very nicely.
I just took them off the smoker. Total 15 hrs at 230, up to 250 after stall and wrap. The first I made were too salty and I made them from the flat. The flat is just not fatty enough for good pastrami. At the Deli some pay a premium for “lean” pastrami. Not sure what’s wrong with them, more money, less flavor. These came off nice and tender. A short rest in the yeti and ready for the slicer and dinner tomorrow. Smells great. I’ll send pics when I cut into them. My dad is 96, marine vet, WWII, South Pacific Mitchell B-1 bomber gunner. Thanks for your service.

I just took them off the smoker. Total 15 hrs at 230, up to 250 after stall and wrap. The first I made were too salty and I made them from the flat. The flat is just not fatty enough for good pastrami. At the Deli some pay a premium for “lean” pastrami. Not sure what’s wrong with them, more money, less flavor. These came off nice and tender. A short rest in the yeti and ready for the slicer and dinner tomorrow. Smells great. I’ll send pics when I cut into them. My dad is 96, marine vet, WWII, South Pacific Mitchell B-1 bomber gunner. Thanks for your service.

done and done

96C5F234-D337-4AB5-AE7C-ECB76A2492A6.jpeg
96EF7724-133F-45AB-A926-F94DB94F4879.jpeg

I normally just buy Boar's Head, but this looks really good. I might just have to put this on my to do list. I have several points in the freezer!
Best Greg

I normally just buy Boar's Head, but this looks really good. I might just have to put this on my to do list. I have several points in the freezer!
Best Greg
The seasoning really gives the pastrami flavor. I’m going to steam it for an hour tonight then slice on the meat slicer. I bought a used commercial meat slicer 2 years ago. Does a great job at making thin slices for sandwiches on rye. Pain to clean but you have to pay the price for perfection ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back