Pellet dump?

MickD

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Stampede
Just wanting to know if the RT-700 has a pellet dump, 40 lbs of pellets is a lot to leave in the hopper.

@MickD first welcome to RecTecForum, glad to have you here with us.

No the Rec Tec RT-700 (aka Bull) does not have a pellet dump. I'd suggest not dumping a full 40 pound bag into it unless you plan on using the entire bag or using a shopvac to quickly empty it.

@MickD first welcome to RecTecForum, glad to have you here with us.

No the Rec Tec RT-700 (aka Bull) does not have a pellet dump. I'd suggest not dumping a full 40 pound bag into it unless you plan on using the entire bag or using a shopvac to quickly empty it.
Its going to depend on how often you use it. I use mine 2-3 times per week. 3-4 hours per use. I dump the entire 40lb bag into the hopper and keep it covered when not using it. I am in South Florida and we have had more rain this year so far then in the previous 2 years and I have not had a problem.

and why cant you leave a 40lb hopper filled i have bfg and its keep full all the time never had an issue

Yo MickD (takes me back to beasie boys),

Whats the overall concern you have with leaving pellets in the hopper?

As others have said, the RT's do not have pellet dumps. Reasoning is, one more entry point for moisture.

When I picked up my Stampede, I liked the idea of having a 30 lb hopper, but dreaded if I wanted to change pellet types because of the lack of a dump feature. I've burned through, 200+ lbs of pellets and haven't found a need to change mid drift. If I wanted to infuse a different wood profile, I reach for my smoker tube, otherwise whatever pellets are in will suffice. But that's just me.

As Mike mentioned, you do not need to fill the hopper with 40#. The 40# hopper is grate when you need it, I very rarely have filled it completely, usually only going about 1/2 or a little more if I have a real long cook. Even not filling, I have never had a problem with the pellets left in the hopper. I live in NJ so get hot humid with rain part of the year and cold wet and snowy in the winters. Boy, I make it sound so appealing don't I?

Just a side note.... When I sealed the lid on my RT-700... There was enough seal leftover to do the pellet hopper lid also. Just a extra barrier between moisture and pellets if you are already sealing the grill lid. I never had a problem before or after the seal though*

Just a side note.... When I sealed the lid on my RT-700... There was enough seal leftover to do the pellet hopper lid also. Just a extra barrier between moisture and pellets if you are already sealing the grill lid. I never had a problem before or after the seal though*

I just ordered a 700 yesterday. How and what did you use to seal your lid? Just in case I need to.

Pellet dumps are bad medicine on a pellet grill. They allow moisture in. The seal get dusty and wont seal good after a short period. The RT folks know pellet grills, and didn't put a pellet dump or a ash dump in their RT for good reasons. Go with the best, go Rec Tec.

As far as the 40lb hopper, fill it up. The pellets stay dry in there just as well as in a container somewhere else.

Home. Depot makes a shop vac that snaps onto a 25 llb bucket. It's 25 dollars. It works really well when you want to change the pellets. I store mine this way. It's called a Buckethead.
F8B777BC-3712-433B-AC42-11DB228272F9.jpeg

I store my different pellet flavors in separate Home Depot 5gal pails and use the Buckethead vacuum to suck them back into the proper pail.

Home. Depot makes a shop vac that snaps onto a 25 llb bucket. It's 25 dollars. It works really well when you want to change the pellets. I store mine this way. It's called a Buckethead.
I use the same "Buckethead" to empty my hopper. Great for quick changeover to different types of woods.
Buy and use clean buckets to store the different types of pellets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back