Pellet feed rate settings

Just curious what you guys set your pellet fees to?
My feed is still factory setting..
I'm in NW Ohio with 85-95° days in general and fairly high humidity.... Have not had a problem with rate or holding temps. I'm using all 100% wood pellets.

Feed rate has to be universally set for any range of potential outdoor temps that the units may face. Think of it like the 50 state smog status of vehicles which is really driven by CA laws even though not every state has the same and could be argued unnecessary restrictions. For those that live in warm to moderate climates the feed rate settings should be adjusted lower and then simply forgotten about. For those that live in areas where it gets really cold and really warm, you may need to adjust yours during the cold and warm times but that will just come with experience.

If the smoker is having trouble getting to high temps would the feed rate need to be adjusted up?

If the smoker is having trouble getting to high temps would the feed rate need to be adjusted up?
My understanding increasing feed rate does not affect the ability to hit higher temps. However, one would think that if you increase the feed rate, you would hit temps at a faster rate, maybe not a higher temp per say as pellet type has a impact on how high of a temp you're able to hit.

I live in Colorado and I just got my 590 it seems to struggle a little bit, Wondering if the thin air requires a higher feed rate. After opening the lid I lose 30 degrees or so and it takes about 10 minutes to get back to set temp. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

I live in Colorado and I just got my 590 it seems to struggle a little bit, Wondering if the thin air requires a higher feed rate. After opening the lid I lose 30 degrees or so and it takes about 10 minutes to get back to set temp. Anyone have any thoughts on this.
Sounds about right, especially if you're cooking at higher temps. Lid opens and cold air comes rushing in. 10 minutes isn't bad for it to settle down. Curious as to what temps are you cooking at and how long are you leaving the lid open.

I have never adjusted the feed rate on my pit. I live in NJ and have pretty cold winters and hot humid summers and have not had any problems. I do have a retractable awning on my deck, so I try to keep the pit in the shade during cooks on hot sunny days. I also do not do much high heat cooking on the pit, I use my kettles or gasser for those cooks.

I am not having trouble with high temps, I am having trouble getting up to temp. I am still a novice with this thing and so far the food I have made has been great. getting ready for my longest smoke tomorrow with a brisket. Mt 590 is under a roof on my patio, I am cooking at 400 just to get the feel of this thing and when I open the lid it is for the shortest time possible less than a minute typically. I just wanna get some info from people with more experience with pellet grills/smokers as I have none. I appreciate any feedback.

Reactions: Kim
I am not having trouble with high temps, I am having trouble getting up to temp. I am still a novice with this thing and so far the food I have made has been great. getting ready for my longest smoke tomorrow with a brisket. Mt 590 is under a roof on my patio, I am cooking at 400 just to get the feel of this thing and when I open the lid it is for the shortest time possible less than a minute typically. I just wanna get some info from people with more experience with pellet grills/smokers as I have none. I appreciate any feedback.
When you say getting up to temp can you please elaborate a little further?

just recieved my 590 last week... did some chicken than decided to go all out and threw on a 17.5 pound (gross weight) brisket. was a bit nervous not knowing the cooker... about an hour and 1/2 in... I noticed that it was bouncing around a bit with temp... I lowered the feed rate to 3 and it did awesome... about 21 hours. best brisket I have ever done!

RT 590. The minimum feed rate out of the box is 6.5. Took 30 mins to get from 62 to 500, and another 20 minutes to get back up to 500 after putting steaks on. Will increasing feed rate decrease the preheat time, and the time to get back to set temp after putting meat in? Suggestions for increased feed rate? Using RecTec blend. Steaks turned out great, just trying to get to the optimum settings for most efficient cook time and repeatability. Cheers.

I have been told by RecTec customer service that the feed rate has nothing to do with the amount of time it takes to get up to temp. I, like some others, have issues getting UP to temp in a reasonable amount of time, but once I do get to my desired temp, it is rock solid. I am in a dry/warm climate in Boise, Idaho and have my feed rate at the lowest 3.5%.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back